Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks right to me. Dexos 2 is the important part to protect the dpf. 5w-30 is the weight for most climates, though I'm sure someone here will say their frozen tundra requires the 0w-40 weight.

Would be nice IMO if I could find a 5w-40. Seems the best balance of extra thick to protect but not congeal in 30° F temps.
I see the AC Delco list but was wondering if this oil still works. Like you said it's Dexos-2 and 5w-30, but it also says for gasoline engines.. Pretty big red flag for me. Basically I called to see if they has my oil in stock and they put this aside for me. I foolishly didn't check and I already dumped my pan. Can I use this oil?
TIA
Blue Liquid Automotive tire Fluid Material property

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm not familiar with that one but Mobil 1 also has a dexos 2 that is not the recommended version. The Mobil 1 dexos 2 that says "esp" is the one that's approved for the 2.8l diesel. Maybe acdelco has the equivalent?
That's what I use. And it's no more too expensive than the others.

W.r.t. weight, there seems to be lots of bias towards more is better. More weight with non syn oils in the past helped with thin film maintenance. But 5w-30 syn is fine, IMO. Since it's syn, it keeps it's vis much better at working temps. And more weight actually equals more thin film shear stress, which pulls on your metal.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I see the AC Delco list but was wondering if this oil still works. Like you said it's Dexos-2 and 5w-30, but it also says for gasoline engines.. Pretty big red flag for me. Basically I called to see if they has my oil in stock and they put this aside for me. I foolishly didn't check and I already dumped my pan. Can I use this oil?
TIA View attachment 9610
DO NOT use that oil, it IS NOT dexos2. That is the green dexos1 gen2 logo and gasoline-only oil. dexos2 is a blue logo. You can blame GM for this stupid spec naming.

The gas oil is up to dexos1 gen3 now, but still only one dexos2 spec and it will always have the blue dexos logo.

Rectangle Font Automotive exterior Electric blue Circle

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
TIA View attachment 9610
As mentioned above, that is Dexos 1, gen 2. It's completely confusing that GM did that but the Dexos 1 (gen 1) didn't work as advertised on direct injection engines so they needed to reformulate with gen 2. Gen 1 still built up deposits on direct injection intake valves. Diesels take Dexos 2, it's the blue logo. Green is gas. As mentioned above, you can blame GM for the complete confusion!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Anyone try using new mobil 1 esp x3 0W-40? The specs look impressive for a dexos2 oil particularly HTHS rating of 3.8 comparable to mobil 1 delvac esp 5W-40
If still under warranty and wanting to stick with a dexos2 oil then I'm sure it's one of the better ones, but considering availability and cost issues (it's hard to find and a lot more expensive than other dexos2 oils) I'm not sure it's worthwhile. My recommendation is that folks switch to a CK-4 diesel oil, like Delvac 1 or Rotella T6 in 5w-40, as soon as their trucks hit the ~60k mile mark and the powertrain warranty expires. API CK-4/ACEA E9 diesel oils protect much better than ACEA C3 light-duty gas/diesel oils.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If still under warranty and wanting to stick with a dexos2 oil then I'm sure it's one of the better ones, but considering availability and cost issues (it's hard to find and a lot more expensive than other dexos2 oils) I'm not sure it's worthwhile. My recommendation is that folks switch to a CK-4 diesel oil, like Delvac 1 or Rotella T6 in 5w-40, as soon as their trucks hit the ~60k mile mark and the powertrain warranty expires. API CK-4/ACEA E9 diesel oils protect much better than ACEA C3 light-duty gas/diesel oils.
I just passed 1000 miles and decided to swap out the factory oil, I was originally going to go with the mobil 1 5w-30 esp but the specs on the 0w-40 are much better end up sending a baseline sample to black stone will see what this oil looks like at around the factory recommend oil change.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just passed 1000 miles and decided to swap out the factory oil, I was originally going to go with the mobil 1 5w-30 esp but the specs on the 0w-40 are much better end up sending a baseline sample to black stone will see what this oil looks like at around the factory recommend oil change.
Both mobil 1 oils were readily available at autozone near me

·
Registered
214 Posts
Both mobil 1 oils were readily available at autozone near me
The "X3" must just be the newest formulation, I did run the Mobil 1 0w-40 ESP dexos2 oil a couple of times while still under warranty and it was fine in that I didn't have any problems (nor would I expect any), but my Blackstone UOA with a CK-4 oil produced excellent wear results compared to other 2.8s using dexos2 and shorter drain intervals.

As a side note, I also ran Hot Shot's Secret Diamond PAO 5w-40 for an oil change last year (it was provided for free as I would never buy such an expensive oil) and the wear numbers were even better, however the oil fell out of grade which was disappointing and one of the concerns I have with uncertified oils that only make claims about what specs they meet.

Unfortunately, I don't have UOA from my Mobil 1 0w-40 ESP run.

Still, at $10/qt from Auto Zone that Mobil 1 is way overpriced. $60 for 6 quarts is a bit much, IMO.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The "X3" must just be the newest formulation, I did run the Mobil 1 0w-40 ESP dexos2 oil a couple of times while still under warranty and it was fine in that I didn't have any problems (nor would I expect any), but my Blackstone UOA with a CK-4 oil produced excellent wear results compared to other 2.8s using dexos2 and shorter drain intervals.

As a side note, I also ran Hot Shot's Secret Diamond PAO 5w-40 for an oil change last year (it was provided for free as I would never buy such an expensive oil) and the wear numbers were even better, however the oil fell out of grade which was disappointing and one of the concerns I have with uncertified oils that only make claims about what specs they meet.

Still, at $10/qt from Auto Zone that Mobil 1 is way overpriced. $60 for 6 quarts is a bit much, IMO.
What’s your thoughts on filters? Seems like there’s only 4 options: ac delco, wix, purolator, and stp extended performance. I couldn’t find any data on any of them other than the standard “superior filter media” propaganda

·
Registered
214 Posts
What’s your thoughts on filters? Seems like there’s only 4 options: ac delco, wix, purolator, and stp extended performance. I couldn’t find any data on any of them other than the standard “superior filter media” propaganda
Everything in that realm (air filters, oil filters, fuel filters) are OEM, but that could mean ACDelco or UFI (the OEM for the fuel filters). WIX/Napa are notorious for not including filter efficiency info or making it readily available, so I just order OEM filters from Amazon or Rock Auto for our vehicles. The only exception to this is for my wife's EcoDiesel, the Mopar oil filters are stupidly priced ($47/ea on Amazon and Rock Auto), the best value for that seems to be the K&N oil filter of all things. I don't buy into the K&N hype and K&N doesn't even make these oil filters, but they're built well and only $14 on Amazon.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I just use AC Delco Dexos2, Rock Auto, $7.35 a quart. I never let the oil life get down below 15%, usually an oil change every 6000-6500 miles. Used AC Delco for the transmission and differentials too.

·
Registered
157 Posts

I have been using a number oils over the years. I am at 67,000 now, and I went through several Castrol Edge Euro Car Dexos2 5W30 changes, and I am satisfied with UOAs comparabiliy with other I oils I have used. My last oil change a couple of weeks ago brought me to Auto Zone where they had a special on giving a $20 immediate, at the register, rebate on 6 quarts of Mobil1 ESP, Dexos 2 0W40, regularly priced at $10/bottle. I usually have a UOA done every other change to review and evaluate the results and comments. I will send Blackstone a 0W40 sample at the next change to see what shows up.

Reactions: DieselDrax

·
Registered
214 Posts
FWIW, here are my UOA results for the CK-4 oils I sent in for testing. First up was Valvoline Premium Blue 5w40

Font Rectangle Material property Parallel Screenshot

Then Hot Shot's Secret Blue Diamond PAO 5w40 which looked good except for falling out of grade.
Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Screenshot

·
Registered
214 Posts
I didn’t realize hotshots made an oil, I thought just fuel additives
Yeah, they have for a while now, but it's an expensive boutique oil. They sent me 2 gallons to evaluate, which I did, and it confirmed my doubts about uncertified, boutique oils making claims that don't match reality. That's why I stick with Mobil, Shell, and Valvoline for oils. Strong track record and can be trusted.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts