Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Yeah, they have for a while now, but it's an expensive boutique oil. They sent me 2 gallons to evaluate, which I did, and it confirmed my doubts about uncertified, boutique oils making claims that don't match reality. That's why I stick with Mobil, Shell, and Valvoline for oils. Strong track record and can be trusted.
Who makes the GM oils and are they the same as what the brand names sells and how does it compare?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Who makes the GM oils and are they the same as what the brand names sells and how does it compare?
There are a number of suppliers for GM/ACDelco, such a Phillips, Mobil, etc. They're the same as what you can buy off the shelf of your auto parts store, any oil that is dexos-approved has to meet GMs requirements and they have to pay GM to include that approval on their products.

Reactions: turbodiverart

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been using a number oils over the years. I am at 67,000 now, and I went through several Castrol Edge Euro Car Dexos2 5W30 changes, and I am satisfied with UOAs comparabiliy with other I oils I have used. My last oil change a couple of weeks ago brought me to Auto Zone where they had a special on giving a $20 immediate, at the register, rebate on 6 quarts of Mobil1 ESP, Dexos 2 0W40, regularly priced at $10/bottle. I usually have a UOA done every other change to review and evaluate the results and comments. I will send Blackstone a 0W40 sample at the next change to see what shows up.
I’m curious what your results will be. I don’t put many miles on mine so I think you might beat me to the next oil change. Black stone labs are great I use them for my Ducati and it’s really informative. I put a provent catch can on as soon as I got home from the dealer so it will be interesting to see how this mobil 1 oil holds up. Do you do any towing with yours? That would be a great indication of how well this oil does.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah, they have for a while now, but it's an expensive boutique oil. They sent me 2 gallons to evaluate, which I did, and it confirmed my doubts about uncertified, boutique oils making claims that don't match reality. That's why I stick with Mobil, Shell, and Valvoline for oils. Strong track record and can be trusted.
My take on this whole dexos2 thing is they created an oil just to have low ash for the dpf system. It seems judging by oil analysis that show very little fuel in the oil and if you have a crankcase vent there should be virtually no ash going to the dpf from the oil only from the fuel. I wonder why manufacturers don’t just make these vehicles with a system similar to provent and then they could charge you for another consumable filter. I’m curious how the 3.0 diesel will fare on the Silverado considering the dexos2 oil for that is even lighter at 0W-20. Seems Gm is just banking on the fact that most people don’t keep their vehicles for very long.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My take on this whole dexos2 thing is they created an oil just to have low ash for the dpf system. It seems judging by oil analysis that show very little fuel in the oil and if you have a crankcase vent there should be virtually no ash going to the dpf from the oil only from the fuel. I wonder why manufacturers don’t just make these vehicles with a system similar to provent and then they could charge you for another consumable filter. I’m curious how the 3.0 diesel will fare on the Silverado considering the dexos2 oil for that is even lighter at 0W-20. Seems Gm is just banking on the fact that most people don’t keep their vehicles for very long.
GM hasn't created any dexos2 oils, it's a licensing gimmick. All dexos2 oils also meet ACEA C3 and the manual states if you can't find a dexos2 oil to use then you can use ACEA C3. You won't find a single dexos2 oil that doesn't also carry the ACEA C3 rating. ACEA C3 sets the 0.8% ash limit.

API CK-4/ACEA E9 set that limit to 1.0% and those oils are also DPF-friendly.

The 3.0 Duramax in the 1500 doesn't use dexos2, it uses dexosD. Availability of a dexosD oil is very limited, the best way to get it is from a dealer, unfortunately. These dexosD oils also meet ACEA C5 requirements, so again it's GM attaching their name/spec to a spec that already exists. There is nothing to indicate that 0w-20 in the 3.0 Duramax will reduce longevity and UOA will confirm this.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts