Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

CROSS COUNTRY WITH RV TRAILER, ATV IN BED

8K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  alberta minimax 
#1 ·
JUST RETURNED FROM A CROSS COUNTRY TRIP, ROCKIES,PLAINS,CITY,APPALACHIANS. 7000 MILES TOTAL. WIND , RAIN. THIS COLORADO HAS THE GREEN DIESEL HOT TUNE AND TRANSMISSION TUNE,MODIFIED AIR CLEANER BOX , FIRESTONE AIR BAGS,
Vehicle Transport Car Trailer Parking
UP MOUNTAINS AND HILLS, PASSING LIKE NOTHING, PULL A 21 FOOT CAMPLITE 21 RBS WITH A SUZUKI 750 KING QUAD IN THE BED. AVG 19.0 MPG

See less See more
#3 ·
JUST RETURNED FROM A CROSS COUNTRY TRIP, ROCKIES,PLAINS,CITY,APPALACHIANS. 7000 MILES TOTAL. WIND , RAIN. THIS COLORADO HAS THE GREEN DIESEL HOT TUNE AND TRANSMISSION TUNE,MODIFIED AIR CLEANER BOX , FIRESTONE AIR BAGS, View attachment 7885 UP MOUNTAINS AND HILLS, PASSING LIKE NOTHING, PULL A 21 FOOT CAMPLITE 21 RBS WITH A SUZUKI 750 KING QUAD IN THE BED. AVG 19.0 MPG

#4 ·
Very nice set up. I noticed you have the stock mirrors. Was it problem seeing around your trailer? Also did you happen to pay attention to transmission temps especially while pulling over mountain passes. I have a 2016 GMC Canyon that is almost set up identical to yours and I have reached transmission temps as high as 250 degrees while going over passes here in Colorado.

#6 ·
Yes, tuning with any of the available tuners voids your warranty. You can also try and remove the tuning from your ECM and revert it to a "factory-like-state," but there will be a footprint of your tuning still there, so they'll know. If you have something powertrain related that goes out while still in the warranty period and try to get them to warranty it, they will most likely deny it, saying that your tuning was the cause of the problem. Now, if you have some other problem (say GM has a defect with the airbag system like Honda); they cannot, or should not be able to, deny you warranty for that as the airbags are not related to the tuning of the truck.

If you have more questions, there should be some posts under the Tuning section that might help you.

#7 ·
Did a 2000-mile trip from Denver area to Death Valley Nat. Park in October pulling a ~3500 lb large teardrop and averaged 14 mpg for the whole trip. Many climbs on this mountainous trip through CO to SE UT and northern AZ. Pretty comfortable on steepest climbs at 50-55 mpg. Strong headwinds seem to have more impact on pulling power than climbing over Vail Pass (10,500') and Eisenhower Pass (~11,200'; Continental Divide). 2018 Colorado
diesel short bed. Little Guy Max trailer.

#9 ·
Just towed my 23’ toy hauler 60 miles. Have weight distribution hitch. I was surprised how well the truck towed the 4500lbs but I was fighting to keep it in my lane. It was a bit windy out nothing major but it really blew the rig around.
It returned 13 US miles per gallon
Does anyone else find it gets blown around fairly easy?

#10 ·
Being blown around while towing a large, boxy load with a mid sized truck is absolutely normal.
It is the responsibility of the driver to ensure you operate your vehicle in a safe manner.
If towing conditions (wind, rain, snow, traffic) create an unsafe condition, it is your responsibility to slow down, take a break or sometimes take an alternate route.
Load distributing hitches and sway control certainly help but there is no getting getting around physics.
You COULD go to a more robust tire to limit sidewall movement, and that may help some.
Also make sure you have the proper weight on the hitch as a tail heavy trailer will certainly sway heavily.
I tow my Toyota trail rig with roof top tent and camping gear in my Colorado and weigh 12,400 combined.
I have towed extensively for 45 years and these trucks tow very well within their limits.
But they DO have limits which may be lower than you are used to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.