Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Totally not thinking I put 1 Gallon of DEF in the fuel tank, i think it was the dumbest thing i've done in my 67 yrs on this planet, anyway I immediately disconnected the battery and hope just the tank and fuel pump needs replacing or cleaning, have to wait til Tuesday as nothing is open now. Just so used to opening the green cap, I think GM should have separated the two.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Bummer. We’ve all made dumb (and costly) mistakes. I know i have.

Hopefully all you need to do is to drain the fuel tank and change out the fuel filters. The dealership could do that for you if you’re uncomfortable with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bummer. We’ve all made dumb (and costly) mistakes. I know i have.

Hopefully all you need to do is to drain the fuel tank and change out the fuel filters. The dealership could do that for you if you’re uncomfortable with it.
I'd have a problem with 18 gallons of diesel fuel to dispose of and there is no drain on the fuel tank, have to remove tank.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I actually like the def fill on the canyon much better the my dads l5p. It sucks having to fill it under the hood. Maybe you can pump most of it out through the filler neck with a fluid transfer pump or old inline fuel pump. I think the def will separate from the diesel, I just don’t know if it sets on bottom or top.

·
Registered
128 Posts
GET ABOUT 6 FEET OF A SMALL WATER HOSE. INSTERT 1 END INTO THE TANK ABOUT 2-2.5 FEET. CUT A SMALL HOLE IN THE SIDE OF THE OTHER END AND BLOW PRESSURIZED AIR THROUGH IT. ONCE FUEL STARTS COMING OUT, IT WILL CREATE A VACUUM AND PULL MOST OF THE FUEL FROM THE TANK

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Totally not thinking I put 1 Gallon of DEF in the fuel tank, i think it was the dumbest thing i've done in my 67 yrs on this planet, anyway I immediately disconnected the battery and hope just the tank and fuel pump needs replacing or cleaning, have to wait til Tuesday as nothing is open now. Just so used to opening the green cap, I think GM should have separated the two.
Had it hauled to the local chevy dealer and they had to take tank off and flush, Total cost $861, if I had turned on the ignition it would have been a whole lot more.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Had it hauled to the local chevy dealer and they had to take tank off and flush, Total cost $861, if I had turned on the ignition it would have been a whole lot more.
RockcrawIer got it just right.

I think you made a wise decision. I also admire you posting this. From your gutsy admission we now know that there's at least 10 who did this, cussed and looked around to see if they were being watched.

Just too bad the tank doesn't have a sump drain, a la private planes. Since the DEF is probably heavier than the diesel, and probably also has little affinity for it, you might have been able to get away with draining it that way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts