Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. I'll start by saying I have a 2017 Chevy Colorado Diesel with about 140k miles, and no more warranty on it. A week before Thanksgiving I was driving home and the CEL light came on and not too long after the first Limp Mode warning:

Emissions System
Look in Owners Manual
175 Miles Until Your Speed Is Limited to 65 MPH

I call my mechanic who say's they are booked 3 weeks out. I make an appointment and figure I can still get around for a few weeks at 65MPH. However, when I get through the 175 mile countdown another window shows up and this time it says: 90 Miles Until Your Speed Is Limited to 55 MPH. So I think, well I guess I can just stay off the highways until my appointment. When that 90 miles ran out I get the stupidest thing I've ever seen in a vehicle: 75 Miles Until Your Speed Is Limited to 4 (YES, 4!) MPH. Unreal.
So, I decide to call Chevy dealership and see if I can get an appointment sooner than my mechanic. They tell me they can take a look at it the Fri/Sat after Thanksgiving. I say great and spend $200 to rent a car for a couple days. I drop my truck off to them and they pull the code from the CEL (which I had already done as well), and they say one of the NOx sensors needs to be replaced. I say ok, I figured as much and they go to work on it. Once they replace it they call me and say they are having a hard time clearing the CEL light and end up keeping my truck for 2-3 more days to try and get it to clear. Eventually after some Regen they were able to clear it.
I get my truck back and it seems to be fixed but later that week as I'm about 65 miles from my house on the highway no CEL light comes on but I get the dreaded 'Emissions System' warning on my dash. However, this time it goes straight to '75 Miles Until Your Speed Is Limited to 4 MPH' and starts limiting my speed to 55 mph while I was going 75 on the highway. No warning this time just immediately limited to the 55 MPH. I am able to get off the highway and take back roads home with just enough miles left to get it back to the shop.
I explain to them what happened and they say their diesel guy is on vacation for a week. They gave me a loaner which was nice and when he got back he called me and said that after talking to some GM techs they recommended that both NOx sensors be replaced at the same time and that could solve the issue. Also, to check the DEF Quality which was clear. So another $800 for the 2nd sensor to be installed and off I go.
Truck runs fine for almost 2 weeks and yesterday, 150 miles from home, CEL light comes on and the initial '175 miles...Until 65MPH' warning comes on again. What in the hell is wrong with this damn DEF system?!
Has anyone had this same exact issue/sequence of events? I'm so frustrated and rely heavily on reliable truck to haul and drive long distances. I'm probably going to end up bringing it back to the dealership but if anyone has any ideas as to what might be causing it I'd love to hear it before I do so I can give them some info as to where maybe the problem lies.

I loved my truck up until these past 2 months. Now I never want a modern diesel again. Unfortunately I can't afford to get a new vehicle currently.

· Registered
38 Posts
Bummer that you have had issues! I haven't seen this exact issue/chain of events personally but NOX sensor problems come up occasionally. Sometimes even differential pressure sensors/clogs around the DPF. Maybe something related to DEF injection and/or regens? Sometimes the gremlins are hard to track down. Maybe a more knowledgeable guy can chime in.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's back in the shop and they said that this time it was the DEF heater. They should have the part in and it all wrapped up by tomorrow or Thursday. I am really hoping this fixes the issue and I don't need to replace more of the DEF system. I will update once I get it back.

· Registered
7 Posts
She's back in the shop and they said that this time it was the DEF heater. They should have the part in and it all wrapped up by tomorrow or Thursday. I am really hoping this fixes the issue and I don't need to replace more of the DEF system. I will update once I get it back.
I had a similar experience with my truck while on a road trip. I got the message of reduced power and the speed... In my case it was the DPF being clogged and luckily I had my Bluetooth scanner and was able to do a service regen; so far so good. The truck is a 2018 with 42 k miles. Did the shop pull any codes related to the DEF heater? It seems odd that a defective heater will also cause a limp mode.
I also own a BMW 335d that at one point had a CEL related to the DEF heater and I was able to do DIY repair that I learned from a forum ( it involved adding a thermistor to the pump and splicing it to the original wiring)
I know it can be frustrating to deal with this kind of issues, but it sounds like have gotten a good use of the truck based on the miles.
Good luck, and hopefully you get it back on the road.

· Registered
4 Posts
I'm having the same problem myself. No codes present, no codes to clear but I still have the "Poor Quality DEF" message. It seems that solutions are all over the place regarding what eventually corrected the problem, if it was actually corrected or just went away for awhile. I've tried several things with no luck. My truck absolutely will not regen. It will idle up, then right back down.

· Registered
21 Posts
I’m going through the same thing with my 2016 with 52,000 miles on it. I’m not sure where are located but I’m on the east coast. I bought this truck new and it is garage kept. It was 10 degrees outside and maybe a couple inches of snow so I took my wife to work about 1/2 hour away. I just got to her work and the emissions notification came up with the 175 mile warning. I’ve had so much trouble with this truck with Stabilitrak notifications - then limp mode coming on that I have learned to in hook the battery temporarily and go on about my way. My local dealership couldn’t fix a bicycle so I’m not sure where to go from her either. I had convinced myself that the DEF froze until I read your situation.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a similar experience with my truck while on a road trip. I got the message of reduced power and the speed... In my case it was the DPF being clogged and luckily I had my Bluetooth scanner and was able to do a service regen; so far so good. The truck is a 2018 with 42 k miles. Did the shop pull any codes related to the DEF heater? It seems odd that a defective heater will also cause a limp mode.
I also own a BMW 335d that at one point had a CEL related to the DEF heater and I was able to do DIY repair that I learned from a forum ( it involved adding a thermistor to the pump and splicing it to the original wiring)
I know it can be frustrating to deal with this kind of issues, but it sounds like have gotten a good use of the truck based on the miles.
Good luck, and hopefully you get it back on the road.
Id have to check my invoice to recall the exact code but it was a code for the DEF heater. I'm pretty sure if any of the emissions system goes then it will go into limp mode. I got my truck back last tuesday, so I will have had it back for a week tomorrow and no issue or limp mode YET. I will be confident enough that it is fixed if it doesn't go into limp mode over the next few weeks. So far every time I got it back from the dealership it's lasted from 48 hours - 2 weeks before another code and limp mode. 3rd times a charm, right? I'll keep this thread updated if anything new comes about or any recurring issues. I hear a lot of people having these issues at pretty low mileage. I got my truck with 19k on it, I now have almost 150k and these issues didn't start until about 140-145k so I consider myself sort of lucky for not having these problems until now. That being said at least at low mileage you'd likely still be under warranty.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm having the same problem myself. No codes present, no codes to clear but I still have the "Poor Quality DEF" message. It seems that solutions are all over the place regarding what eventually corrected the problem, if it was actually corrected or just went away for awhile. I've tried several things with no luck. My truck absolutely will not regen. It will idle up, then right back down.
Your problem sounds like some gremlins. It seems like these DEF problems don't have a one solution fix for all scenarios. It's unfortunate and frustrating. I hope you can sort your issue out. I just got my truck back last week, so if I don't get thrown into limp mode/CEL in the next few weeks I'll feel pretty good my DEF issues are solved. I've had multiple codes and messages related to the def system and had both NOx sensors and the DEF heather replaced. Aside from that they said my DEF quality was fine. Are you still under warranty, or low mileage? Had my issues started earlier I would have tried to report it under the lemon law and I would have purchased a non-diesel. The limp mode makes for an incredibly unreliable and untrustworthy vehicle. I hope these fixes will at least last for another 140k. Good luck.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m going through the same thing with my 2016 with 52,000 miles on it. I’m not sure where are located but I’m on the east coast. I bought this truck new and it is garage kept. It was 10 degrees outside and maybe a couple inches of snow so I took my wife to work about 1/2 hour away. I just got to her work and the emissions notification came up with the 175 mile warning. I’ve had so much trouble with this truck with Stabilitrak notifications - then limp mode coming on that I have learned to in hook the battery temporarily and go on about my way. My local dealership couldn’t fix a bicycle so I’m not sure where to go from her either. I had convinced myself that the DEF froze until I read your situation.
That is frustrating. Are you under warranty? I had stabilitrak issues that were related to the wiring harness melting against the AC pipes. That was an issue this past summer that took me a minute to get to the bottom of. Once I did it was a quick and easy fix. That may be something that can clear up your stabilitrak woes. As far as the emissions issue goes, from my experience it could be a handful of things. With that low of mileage I would look into getting it all fixed under warranty, look into lemon laws, and maybe look into trading it in for a non modern diesel. The fact limp mode exists is dangerous and incredibly unreliable and inconvenient for people who trailer, travel, or just drive a lot on a daily basis. If this were to happen while I was in the north woods hunting/fishing I'd probably end up stuck out there with little help to get it towed. It's a damn shame modern diesels have to have these EPA emissions systems. Anyways, I wish you the best. Ill update this thread if anything new comes up.

· Registered
4 Posts
I'm not under warranty and I'm 93k on miles. I'll change out the NOX 1 sensor this week and try again. I'm just throwing parts at it now. This whole thing is a shame because I really loved this truck for the last 4 years. Now with this ridiculous problem and seeing first hand how unreliable it can be without even the common courtesy of an error code, I'm ready to get rid of it.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not under warranty and I'm 93k on miles. I'll change out the NOX 1 sensor this week and try again. I'm just throwing parts at it now. This whole thing is a shame because I really loved this truck for the last 4 years. Now with this ridiculous problem and seeing first hand how unreliable it can be without even the common courtesy of an error code, I'm ready to get rid of it.
Understandable. I love this truck but the DEF issues make me wish I hadn't bought a modern diesel. Especially with the cost of diesel being so high the past year or so. I have had both NOx sensors and the DEF heather replaced. For now she is running but I won't be confident the issue has been resolved until she runs at least a month without a CEL or Limp Mode. The lack of a CEL in your situation makes it a bit for frustrating I imagine. I'd take it to you dealership and have the DEF heater and sensors checked out. Best of luck!

· Registered
21 Posts
Thanks to everybody for their experiences and knowledge. I have it at a different dealership today 1/27 and we will see what they can come up. If they are not convincing as to what the problem was my truck will find a new home. It’s a shame as it still looks brand new inside and out and only 52,000 miles. I agree that the government/EPA screwed all of us diesel owners on this DEF requirement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts