Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

DEF Level Sensor replacement $1800?

1138 Views 27 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  DieselDrax
2016 Colorado with $103k has DEF level indicator saying tank empty with warning to reduce MPH to 65 in 399 miles. Dealership quotes me $1800 to replace DED level sensor. $1000 parts $700 labor + taxes and fees. Anyone else seen this type of cost for this ?
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Awesome - thank you very much! So the computer will reset itself after the pump is relaced? Don't need any fancy software to go into ECM and reset calibrations or anything else to get the countdown to limp mode message cleared ?
It should. Should is a dangerous word.馃ぃ
  • Haha
Reactions: 1
2016 Colorado with $103k has DEF level indicator saying tank empty with warning to reduce MPH to 65 in 399 miles. Dealership quotes me $1800 to replace DED level sensor. $1000 parts $700 labor + taxes and fees. Anyone else seen this type of cost for this ?
The price for the pump unit is high because it includes the level sensor and the heaters.
I replaced mine with little trouble. You can remove the filler tube line at the tank and easily drain most of the DEF so the tank is lighter and easy to drop. The unit CANNOT be replaced without dropping the tank on the 2016. It has the same securing ring that is used on gas tank seals. The trickiest part was knowing how to release the electrical connections. I had a couple different release styles. You do not want to break them. I purchased a X-Tool D8 so I could reset the system once the unit was replaced. My understanding is the crawl mode message will not go away without the reset. Not sure if it would because I did not try it. I just reset it as prescribed. I do have a mechanical background but this was easy. Just research and take your time. Let me know if you need any encouragement.
See less See more
The price for the pump unit is high because it includes the level sensor and the heaters.
I replaced mine with little trouble. You can remove the filler tube line at the tank and easily drain most of the DEF so the tank is lighter and easy to drop. The unit CANNOT be replaced without dropping the tank on the 2016. It has the same securing ring that is used on gas tank seals. The trickiest part was knowing how to release the electrical connections. I had a couple different release styles. You do not want to break them. I purchased a X-Tool D8 so I could reset the system once the unit was replaced. My understanding is the crawl mode message will not go away without the reset. Not sure if it would because I did not try it. I just reset it as prescribed. I do have a mechanical background but this was easy. Just research and take your time. Let me know if you need any encouragement.
What part of the replacement requires dropping the tank? I've been in there to replace the DEF supply line and didn't see anything obvious that would indicate dropping the tank is necessary since it's all accessed from the bottom of the tank.
What part of the replacement requires dropping the tank? I've been in there to replace the DEF supply line and didn't see anything obvious that would indicate dropping the tank is necessary since it's all accessed from the bottom of the tank.
What year are you speaking of? The 2016 is accessed onl y from the top
According to parts online the 2016-2021 have the same tank part number. It shows pump on the bottom. I'm confused.馃

I have a 2016 and replaced the DEF pump thanks to the members on this board. Below is the link to the how-to with some photos. Thanks to you folks I was able to do this for the cost of the $500 part. And I鈥檓 not mechanically inclined. I did not have to drop the tank. My pump was accessed from the bottom.
Def pump how-to
Reactions: 1
Looks like you replied to the thread linked above rather than here, but for continuity you did confirm the access is from the bottom and the tank doesn't need to be dropped. So no model year difference or something like that.
21 - 28 of 28 Posts