Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Colorado, 2.8 duramax, 76+K miles. Garaged in FL, periodic trips to NY in winter. Last week on the road, DEF level indicated 8%, stopped in Wal mart and picked up 2-2.5 Gal jugs. Added most of the 2, indicator went to "OK". Stopped for the night, next morning got in started and DEF shows "----%"

Truck seems to run fine no speed limitations and no other indicators. I'm thinking maybe some bad DEF and if I pump out as much as I can and put in some new DEF like blue def or whatever that brand is it may resolve.

Any suggestions? Anyone experience same?

THANKS!!

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
So let me add some information here. I have a 2018 Chevy Cruze diesel. My pump unit which has other all in one inclusive sensors including the DEF level sensor is the same one up to 2018 Cruze and Colorado. My Cruze says OK until it reaches about 35%. So I lost my level OK indication and a CEL was triggered. I hooked up a scanner that reads percentages of fluid. Unfortunately the fluid level percentages on the scanner jump around and are not accurate so that's why the OK indication goes out and followed by a CEL. I accessed the pump and harness and inspected the harness and connections. Cleaned up with contact cleaner then added dielectric constant grease to all the connectors. Problem still there. Next I will remove the pump assembly and inspect it, clean it with warm water and mild soap.
These troubleshooting steps I mentioned are from GM service manual. They say first step is to inspect the harness. Then they want meter readings at certain connectors on the harness which I will not do. Safe to say at that point the very expensive pump assembly is at fault. Sadly replacing the pump will be the same one you currently have so probably expect another failure down the road sometime again. There is also a DEF pump controller module in the harness. This could be a possible failure but the GM reference and from others I read from state it is a low probability of failure. It's cheaper but won't solve the problem for the most part. $150 vs $450. If you only have a DEF level indication problem I suggest you top off the DEF tank and drive. At every oil change just top it off again until you decide to finally repair the failure. I know the CEL can be a nuisance but if you have a scanner just check your codes from time to time to make sure all you have is that one code. The code I get is P1050. That code for diesel engines is DEF fluid level sensor fault.
Look at photo. Pump, module and harness. The model year description is in error. This is only up to a 2018 model year.
Font Audio equipment Gadget Cable Engineering

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What brand did you use .. hopefully not PEAK Platinum ? The Walmart house brand has worked ok for me for 60k miles
GM. I used "super tech". I've used in the past and have had no issues. I've reached out to a old buddy who might be still working in a Chevy shop and am waiting to hear his take. A lot of sites are pointing to NOX sensors as a possible cause.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts