Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just filled my DEF tank for the first time, I added a 2.5 gal container but my gauge still reads about 1/4 tank.............What is the tank Capacity??? I cant find the info in my owners manual

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm at 3400 miles on the truck so far

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
now its making sense.................thank you

·
Registered
150 Posts
Like fuel, it appears they don't ship with a full tank. My dealer made a point of telling me they had to make sure it was topped off. My co-worker with a 2016 had to put fluid in his at 1500 miles (I have 4200 and it still says OK).

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
For what it's worth, my tank was at 11% and I got a message basically saying 301 miles until def tank empty, 6900 miles on truck.

I went to dump in two jugs of blue def (5gal total) and it overflowed on me with about a 1/2 gal or more left. Next time I'll just dump in one jug when it gets to about 25%

The gauge read -- and then ok on startup

·
Registered
28 Posts
I added 2.5 gallons at 3900 miles. I figured it should have been enough when purchased new to get me to my first service. As stated above, it may have been only partially filled. I'll see how it goes after my first official free maintenance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use a station in Elizabeth, IL. It is called Fast Stop. They sell DEF at the pump and they have a small nozzle that fits our filler neck. $1.69 per gallon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine said it would be out in 900 miles 22% when I had 1,000 miles on it, probably not filled by the dealer. Dealer said schedule fill up and it would be free during warranty. Decided my time was worth more and bought 2.5 gal. from dealer for $25, drove on a 2,000 mile trip and it's down to 26% again! At this rate it adds about $.125 per mile to the diesel cost, which by the way here in CA, the diesel at Costco has gone from $2.30 a gallon to about $2.60 last time I filled up, now $2.79, there goes the cost per gallon advantage with diesel! Ant 1.5-2 cents per gallon for DEF.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts