Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I feel your pain bro, you must be careful for a single tune that seems like a lot horse power and torque. That could be trouble, you want as close to stock as you can get. Never have heard of these guys before. Of course that doesn’t mean anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently deleted my truck and am very eased with the results. I went with Great White North diesel for the time and exhaust. I ordered a flopro stainless exhaust from them (not on their website I had to call to order) and their 5 tune pack with transmission tuning. That package was cheaper than the place you found and you get more from GWN. So far in town I have seen 3-4 mpg better and on a 500 mile trip before and after delete with the same exact route I got 2.8 mpg better. I tow a nitro z20 bass boat and have seen an increase of 2 mpg towing so far. I am very pleased with the tune so far and with the EFI live tuner it is very easy to switch tunes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just picked up my ZR2 in June, that I ordered in December of last year. Once I had confirmation that it was built and in transit, I started ordering everything I wanted:
K&N filter, Provent 200 from Sasquatch with mounting bracket and their tubing, Rockblokz mud guards, Ventshades and Hood guard from AVE.....
Which also included a full stainless delete exhaust from FloPro (Which I had to source from a different supplier than the tune & equipment.)
All of the EFI Live Autocal V3 with a 75 hp tune and tranny tune from a very well known and reputable company in British Columbia. Everything took some time to get into the states, especially given the state of affairs up there, and the log jams we're having with shipping and receiving down here in the US.
The Autocal and tunes, with the difference between the USD and CAD $$$ came out to $1100 and change. The exhaust was $600 and change.
I finally had a couple days blocked off to handle the tear down and install of the exhaust. Which was a PITA. But I took my time and made sure I didn't break anything or use too many swear words whilst working on my new rig. It literally took me 12 hours to get it all off. Not that I was trying to set any sort of speed record or anything. As I was taking plenty of breaks to cool off from the heat down here in Central FL.
But once I got everything off, and the new system laid out... reassembly began. Again, taking my time and doing everything with precision. I had to make a couple cuts to some of the new tubing in order for everything to line up "just right". So with some measuring, a little painters tape to make sure my cuts were straight.... and a new cutting wheel on my angle grinder.... The freshly trimmed tubing lined up brilliantly! (had to cut off an inch of one of the hangers above the rear axle, because it kept rubbing against my pretty new DSSV shock)

Before I started tearing things down, It was strongly suggested that I load the tunes first. That was so I could address any codes or check engine lights that may pop up.
But that all went very smooth. The instructional video that I got with the kit was a little out dated. But there isn't much that Youtube university can't teach you in a pinch. And after a half hour or so on the computer.... I had learned all that I needed to know... then the install went effortlessly. Turned the key on, fired the beast up, and she ran just fine. No codes. No lights. Nothing.

So fast forward 24 hours and everything is back together. The first time I turned the key to the on position, I heard the fuel pumps spin up, and then start spewing out fuel out of a line that I had disconnected by accident. Oopsie.
Took me a little bit to clean that mess up, and then find the plug that I had disconnected so I could reinstall it. But once that was done and over.... I clicked the key on once more.... Listened for the pumps to spin up again.... listened for no fuel pouring out of anywhere.... then turned the key the rest of the way.
The stink of diesel fuel and a gently singing turbo filled the garage.
HOT DAMN!!!! WE'RE IN BUSINESS!!!!!

So I shut it off, cleaned up my assortment of tools and towels and went in to take a shower.
After that... We pulled out of the garage... and went out for a drive.
Given that this is my daily driver, I had multiple conversations with the company I bought the software from, to insure I was making the right choice in terms of the correct tune for my application. Which ended up being a 75+ hp tune. They said it would give me the best mix of HP/Torque and the best fuel economy. So that's what I went with.
Now today is 08/24/2022 and I just finished the install on 08/22/22... I've only put 100 miles or so on it. But I can tell you this:
The difference is pretty remarkable. The dead peddle is almost totally, if not totally gone. It sounds like a diesel now. It smells like a diesel now. And it runs all around stronger.
I don't drive like an A$$hole. I don't beat on my truck. But I will tell you.... when you hit it... it freaking MOOOOOOVES.
The tranny tune wasn't all that different from stock. Does it shift smoother and with more authority? Yep. Sure does. Are all of the shift points the same? Yep. I'm running stock tires, so I left everything alone in that department. It's my understanding that the trans tune is doing nothing more than increasing the line pressures in the transmission to keep the clutches happy, so they can handle the new found HP/Torque.
I can also report that for the first 2500+ miles that I've driven it... I've been averaging 25-28 MPG going back and forth to work. And I can tell you that the factory MGP estimates that the onboard computer shows.... are pretty damn accurate based on my math and fuel consumption.
Now, with the hundred plus miles that I've clocked on it now....I'm pulling roughly 31-32 mpg in town. I'll have to see how things fare on the highway.
I'll drop some updates as I clock more miles if anyone has any interest.
Wishing you all here the best.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just picked up my ZR2 in June, that I ordered in December of last year. Once I had confirmation that it was built and in transit, I started ordering everything I wanted:
K&N filter, Provent 200 from Sasquatch with mounting bracket and their tubing, Rockblokz mud guards, Ventshades and Hood guard from AVE.....
Which also included a full stainless delete exhaust from FloPro (Which I had to source from a different supplier than the tune & equipment.)
All of the EFI Live Autocal V3 with a 75 hp tune and tranny tune from a very well known and reputable company in British Columbia. Everything took some time to get into the states, especially given the state of affairs up there, and the log jams we're having with shipping and receiving down here in the US.
The Autocal and tunes, with the difference between the USD and CAD $$$ came out to $1100 and change. The exhaust was $600 and change.
I finally had a couple days blocked off to handle the tear down and install of the exhaust. Which was a PITA. But I took my time and made sure I didn't break anything or use too many swear words whilst working on my new rig. It literally took me 12 hours to get it all off. Not that I was trying to set any sort of speed record or anything. As I was taking plenty of breaks to cool off from the heat down here in Central FL.
But once I got everything off, and the new system laid out... reassembly began. Again, taking my time and doing everything with precision. I had to make a couple cuts to some of the new tubing in order for everything to line up "just right". So with some measuring, a little painters tape to make sure my cuts were straight.... and a new cutting wheel on my angle grinder.... The freshly trimmed tubing lined up brilliantly! (had to cut off an inch of one of the hangers above the rear axle, because it kept rubbing against my pretty new DSSV shock)

Before I started tearing things down, It was strongly suggested that I load the tunes first. That was so I could address any codes or check engine lights that may pop up.
But that all went very smooth. The instructional video that I got with the kit was a little out dated. But there isn't much that Youtube university can't teach you in a pinch. And after a half hour or so on the computer.... I had learned all that I needed to know... then the install went effortlessly. Turned the key on, fired the beast up, and she ran just fine. No codes. No lights. Nothing.

So fast forward 24 hours and everything is back together. The first time I turned the key to the on position, I heard the fuel pumps spin up, and then start spewing out fuel out of a line that I had disconnected by accident. Oopsie.
Took me a little bit to clean that mess up, and then find the plug that I had disconnected so I could reinstall it. But once that was done and over.... I clicked the key on once more.... Listened for the pumps to spin up again.... listened for no fuel pouring out of anywhere.... then turned the key the rest of the way.

So I shut it off, cleaned up my assortment of tools and towels and went in to take a shower.
Given that this is my daily driver, I had multiple conversations with the company I bought the software from, to insure I was making the right choice in terms of the correct tune for my application. Which ended up being a 75+ hp tune. They said it would give me the best mix of HP/Torque and the best fuel economy. So that's what I went with.
Now today is 08/24/2022 and I just finished the install on 08/22/22... I've only put 100 miles or so on it. But I can tell you this:
The difference is pretty remarkable. The dead peddle is almost totally, if not totally gone. It sounds like a diesel now. It smells like a diesel now. And it runs all around stronger.
I don't drive like an A$$hole. I don't beat on my truck. But I will tell you.... when you hit it... it freaking MOOOOOOVES.
The tranny tune wasn't all that different from stock. Does it shift smoother and with more authority? Yep. Sure does. Are all of the shift points the same? Yep. I'm running stock tires, so I left everything alone in that department. It's my understanding that the trans tune is doing nothing more than increasing the line pressures in the transmission to keep the clutches happy, so they can handle the new found HP/Torque.
I can also report that for the first 2500+ miles that I've driven it... I've been averaging 25-28 MPG going back and forth to work. And I can tell you that the factory MGP estimates that the onboard computer shows.... are pretty damn accurate based on my math and fuel consumption.
Now, with the hundred plus miles that I've clocked on it now....I'm pulling roughly 31-32 mpg in town. I'll have to see how things fare on the highway.
Is your tune a one tune only? I been researching and all the tuners said after 2018 the ECU was changed and they can't program multiple tunes on the fly. 2019 and up we are all screwed for now until someday someone can figure it out.

BTW I'm in South Florida. A wee bit hotter. I know the feeling. Early morning project starts are best.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, It's a single tune only. But with the new Autocal V3 software... it's silly easy to reflash to another tune if you want it.
I was never a fan of changing the ECM on the fly. IMHO that's just begging for a problem. But hey, what do I know... other than at least you get the ocean breezes.
The greater Orlando area... eh, not so much.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah, It's a single tune only. But with the new Autocal V3 software... it's silly easy to reflash to another tune if you want it.
I was never a fan of changing the ECM on the fly. IMHO that's just begging for a problem. But hey, what do I know... other than at least you get the ocean breezes.
The greater Orlando area... eh, not so much.
Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts

I'd stay away from the K&N Air Filter, I've heard if over oiled or that they cause more problems than it's worth

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'd stay away from the K&N Air Filter, I've heard if over oiled or that they cause more problems than it's worth
Mass air flow sensor gets full of oil then the dirt builds up. Happened to me many years ago on my BMW. Last time I used a K&N filtet and any other reusable filter that requires reoiling. This is the best solution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been running K&N filters in everything I've owned... spanning decades. Never once have I ever had any sort of issue. Some of the problems people speak of are due to incorrect maintenance of the filter itself, and using the wrong type of element oil and/or WAAAYYYY too much of it.
When it comes to maintaining the filters: I've always cleaned them with dawn dishwashing soap because it cuts through all of the crap & old oil very effectively. When it's clean and thoroughly rinsed, I blow it out with compressed air, and let it dry for several hours in the sun. When it comes to oiling it, I take my cues from the motorcycle industry, and use either PJ1 or Maxima fabric filter oils. They come in aerosol cans, so it sprays on. The oil is colored red, so you can make sure you're getting the entire filter evenly covered. The oil is tacky, so everything sticks to it. Nothing gets by.
I swear by them. To each their own though.

·
Registered
210 Posts
My main issue with the K&N is they provide no real benefit (being reusable is...meh) but have a huge number of downsides, the biggest of which is the amount of dirt they pass which is not what you want to feed your turbo. OEM or other quality dry filters only, I've used K&N in the past, a number of years ago, in dusty environments and ended up with a coating of fine dust on the intake tube between the airbox and throttle body. K&N went in the trash and nothing I've heard or seen since indicates there's been any improvement in filter efficiency.

My $0.02, your truck so your choice, just make sure you understand the tradeoffs.

Reactions: 6speedTi
1 - 13 of 13 Posts