Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m new to the forum. Been reading the posts by others. Seems there is an ongoing issue
with the( DPF ) diesel particulate filter system. I also had 2 visits to the dealer for this issue with less than 16,000 miles. My truck stock and I use only top tier fuel. Last Labor Day drove to Spokane Wa.from near Milwaukee Wi.and back. No issues till this summer. (DPF).
I know it would be a lot of work , but maybe we could all form a group and contact Chevy with
a large number of owners (as a group)with this (documented) issue and have more influence on getting this issue resolved. I love this truck and the 2.8 dmax ,however if this is issue isn’t going to be remedied, and I have to pay for repairs, the truck will be gone!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've had my DPF system completely replaced, minus the the tank/heater assembly, and all under the original warranty. So far, so good. Took me five trips to the dealer, but compared to others on here, I had a better experience and it wasn't even my purchasing dealer that did the final fix. Good luck! Mac:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had enough of the diesel emissions issues... traded my 2016 Z71 in yesterday for a 2019 Z71 gas version.
It was an on going issue from the start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have has an issue from day one. 12 trips to two separate dealerships and the issues remain, specifically with Particulate Matter Sensors. Common DTC's I have seen are P1476, P1478, P24B0, P24B1. Diesel Particulate Sensor has been replaced 5 times, Engine Gas Temp sensors twice, NOx sensors twice and Engine Control Module reprogrammed twice. There is a recall for faulty Particulate Matter Sensors (sorry, don't have number) and just learned there is a Technical Service Bulletin for a "software anomaly" in the ECM (#19-NA-124)
GM's official response has been: "Do now wash the undercarriage, sensor failure is due to thermal shock."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grearhead. I’ve been doing research on the DPF issues. I believe it’s the cetane rating in U S. In the U S cetane only has to have a 40 rating. In Europe the minimum rating is 50. The 50 cetane burns faster and cleaner.
The 40 cetane leaves more soot in exhaust.
Can anyone get 50 rated diesel in the U S.
GM should do lab tests on the cetane rating.

·
Registered
945 Posts
You can get 50 but I believe it’s rare. Supposedly more places in California I believe it is have closer to 50.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2017 2.8L 2wd Colorado diesel. I have a question about the DPF regeneration process. Does the 2.8L regeneration cycle in the Colorado occur by an injection of additional diesel into and/or through the engine on the exhaust stroke or is the additional fuel injected into the DPF directly. I ask because I've heard that engines adding additional diesel through the engine on the exhaust stroke increases fuel oil delusion very significantly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has an additional 5th injector right ahead of the dpf
<<<THANKS>>> for what it's worth, I have never had a DPF or emissions issue in nearly 38K miles save for the little blue DEF cap sticking and refusing to come off. Had plenty of other annoying GM quality issues having to do with AC wiring, radio antenna, radio, and dash accessory lights in the first few months to one year. Still, I LOVE THIS TRUCK even the 6spd automatic. Sure wish there was a manual six speed tranny. Again, many thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have has an issue from day one. 12 trips to two separate dealerships and the issues remain, specifically with Particulate Matter Sensors. Common DTC's I have seen are P1476, P1478, P24B0, P24B1. Diesel Particulate Sensor has been replaced 5 times, Engine Gas Temp sensors twice, NOx sensors twice and Engine Control Module reprogrammed twice. There is a recall for faulty Particulate Matter Sensors (sorry, don't have number) and just learned there is a Technical Service Bulletin for a "software anomaly" in the ECM (#19-NA-124)
GM's official response has been: "Do now wash the undercarriage, sensor failure is due to thermal shock."
Same here. I have not been told "do not wash undercarriage." This is a truck, right? Just had P1478 reappear for what seems like the hundredth time. This will be the last, however. Getting the sensor replaced and the truck will be traded in. What I tell people when they ask me about the truck is, it's great when it runs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts