Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had my way 71 Colorado diesel since January 2017 27,000 miles not a problem yet, great engine pulls great, good mileage. also I do to 18 foot fishing boat with it at times. Long term will tell but so far no complaints.

·
Registered
584 Posts
It is disheartening to hear all the horror stories about others Colorado/Canyon. But I believe there are more people without issue than people with. It’s just that people without issue tend to stay fairly quiet.

I have over 14k miles driving all over western US, northern part of Mexico and BC Canada. My truck has been great. It look great, feel great driving and so far have been absolutely great.

I hope that a small group of people with issue doesn’t deter anyone interest from looking at these great truck.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Agree with RPB

It is disheartening to hear all the horror stories about others Colorado/Canyon. But I believe there are more people without issue than people with. It’s just that people without issue tend to stay rarely quiet.

I have over 14k miles driving all over western US, northern part of Mexico and BC Canada. My truck has been great. It look great, feel great driving and so far have been absolutely great.

I hope that a small group of people with issue doesn’t deter anyone interest from looking at these great truck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks.

Ron Baker Chevrolet in San Diego is horrible in dealing with this situation. They basically have washed there hands of it and deferred me to GMC. I called GM and they said it would be two days before they would get back with me to “START “ a complaint. I insisted to speak with a supervisor who contacted me the next evening. She was nice and apologetic and said the process could take 6 weeks just to receive an answer about buying back the truck. She told me Tiffany would be calling me back from GM. That was 3 days ago and I am still waiting. She never answers her phone or returns messages.

The truck is sitting in my garage and the first payment is due next week. It has been in the shop (3) times and currently has the check engine light on. Ron Baker has not given me a loaner nor offered. GM tells me it is up to the dealership wether or not they offer a courtesy vehicle. Obviously I don’t recommend this truck. My 2001 Tacoma is a much better truck and my 2013 Raptor (RIP) would eat both of them. If you are set on the ZR2 Duramax I would not go to Ron Baker Chevrolet in San Diego. They do not care about you.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
i didn't know your truck was from cali, that may be your issue right there. I know several new vehicles have totally different emissions equipment in California than the rest of the US. I'm not sure if the Colorado/canyon is one of them, but there's a good chance since CARB has been screwing around all the bigger trucking companies

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes-I agree. I don’t know If I should drop it off at the dealership. As stated in my first post I did drop it off. Then I was advised to pick it up. So I did. So now I guess I hold it till I hear from GM.

This is [email protected]$T

·
Registered
192 Posts
i didn't know your truck was from cali, that may be your issue right there. I know several new vehicles have totally different emissions equipment in California than the rest of the US. I'm not sure if the Colorado/canyon is one of them, but there's a good chance since CARB has been screwing around all the bigger trucking companies
California hasn't had state specific emissions systems for quite awhile. I would guess at least 10 years or more. Now everything is standardized 50 state emissions which also includes Canada.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Read up on California's Lemon Law. Keep taking it back to the dealership until one of the lemon law milestones has passed. After that, file a claim with the BBB Auto Line and make sure you have all the required paperwork. I'm on the tail end of lemoning mine, and yes it does take a while. My claim started on February 6th and I'm just now getting ready to pick out a new vehicle. Let me know if you have any questions and hopefully I can help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dealership has now had my 2016 (21,000 miles) 4x4 for a total of 44 days out of the 80 days I have owned it. They have completely replaced the ENTIRE emissions system from front to rear of the truck. Just waiting on the GM engineers to ok it to release it back to me. My local dealership has been great to work with, but I can not say the same about Chevy Customer Care. A month ago I opened a case with them and since have emailed them several times, called multiple times and no one will contact me back. Even my dealership is shocked at the lack of communication with me, because they have been talking to the GM engineers about my truck almost on a daily basis.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good news today. Tiffany from GMC informed me that Chevy/GM will buy my truck back. I really do appreciate the fact that I don’t have to go through legal proceedings. I have not been reimbursed yet , but I feel they are really stepping up to the plate. Still no word from Ron Baker Chevrolet

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks -Big difference side by side in my garage. The Raptor was a stretch, but I purchased a 2017 with 8k miles on it. I couldn't be happier. I do still have my ZR2-uninstalled shock skids, ARB compressor mount, and rotopax mount all from 589 Fab. I will be posting these on ebay and the forum. I painted all of them black. If any body is interested hit me up.

·
Registered
179 Posts
On the note of newer car reliability, my wife had a Toyota Matrix we traded in about 4 years ago. We bought it new and we take very good care of our cars. On a trip through the desert the alternator died at about 42,000, warranty up at 36,000. About 30,000 of those miles were done on the interstate.

We had it towed to the only repair shop we could find within 50 miles which was not a good choice. They contacted the Toyota dealer to get a replacement alternator. $760 for just the alternator and there wasnt one anywhere in the country. Getting one would with take 2 weeks. We were at the end of our 2 week vacation and I had to get back to work. Fortunately, we were relatively close to our cabin. I flew back home and my wife stayed.

Bear in mind the Matrix at that time was assembled in Long Beach, CA as joint venture with GM (Tesla’s are now assembled in that factory). The car wasnt that new and was assembled in the US. Why was an alternator so hard to come by?

I told the shop I didnt want to wait 2 weeks. I was in disbelief it was really so hard to get the alternator and I decided to find one myself. They were not BS’ing. I called several major chains and searched the internet for that stupid alternator. NAPA “found the only one in the US” in a warehouse in CA and it was there in 4 days and was “only” $575. Installation and a new drive delt was over $400. With tax over $1000. My wife went to pick up the car and got about 10 miles away before she realized the AC didnt work. She went back and the shop manager told her they disconnected the drive belt because the AC compressor had gone bad. They offered no explanation on why they didnt at least tell me on the phone or her when she picked it up. Having enough of that shop, my wife drove it to the Toyota Dealer another 50 miles away. They confirmed the AC compressor clutch had seized on the shaft and would not disengage. I’m not 100% sure they just didnt give us the tourist treatment but 1100 miles with my then 3 year old son, 74 year old father-n-law with lung cancer, and 1100 miles total with about 300 miles through desert dictated it would be repaired by the dealer. Another $1600 and 5 days later my wife picked the car up and made the trip back.

I have always had a high opinion of Toyota. I had an 82 Land Cruiser I have regretted selling since the moment I handed the keys over. However, after that experience with the Matrix, it will be a very long time before I buy another Toyota.

We replaced the Matrix with a new 2014 Subaru Outback. We drove it 50,000 trouble free miles. Again, we take very good care of our cars. At 50,000 miles and 6000 miles since the last oil change (schedule says 7500) the low oil light came on. I immediately checked the oil believing it surely was just a bad sensor. Nope, it was over a quart low. Did some internet research and found a lot of discussion about Outbacks and Crosstreks through model year 2015 having very poor quality piston rings with many engines being replaced just outside the warranty. Subaru, after being sued, announced they would extend warranty’s on all suspect engines to 100,000 miles. A month later I got a letter from Subaru stating they had a number of vehicles that had faulty thrust washers installed on the torque converters and again were extending the factory warranty to 10 years and 100,000 miles on the transmissions. The real rub is they had no idea whether or not the washer would ever fail and abrupt failure occurs when pulling from a dead stop with no warning, leaving you stranded. I immediately envisioned us pulling off of the interstate to buy fuel in a desert town with the car stalling dead at the end of the off ramp hundreds of miles from home.

So, believing her Outback might have an engine problem and a transmission problem, we decided to buy the Canyon for our road trips. After few months we decided to trade in her Outback on a 2016 Crosstrek which supposedly was manufactured after they discovered and then sourced higher quality piston rings and went to a thrust bearing on transmissions. Whenever I buy a new car I always tell them we don’t have a trade in and then after we get the price without a trade in we tell them we changed our mind and want to get a trade in value. Unhappy with the trade in offer we decided to try and sell the Outback ourselves. What sealed the decision on the Crosstrek purchase was how much we were able to sell the Outback for. Even with the known issues resale value on the Outback is outstanding. We practically gave away the Matrix.

Why did we go back to Subaru and not Toyota? Aside from my wife really liking the Crosstrek, at least Subaru was willing to extend the warranty to 10 years and 100,000 miles on their dime. And, we never were stranded.

On the new vehicle front, I am optimistic the 3rd time will be the charm and we will have many trouble free miles on the new Canyon. It has been a great road trip vehicle so far.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Rockcrawlerdude - Subaru Outbacks and some Toyotas are now manufactured in the same factory in Indiana. It is interesting. However, unlike the Vibe/Matrix they are not just rebadged versions of each other. That being said, Subaru did sell a rebadged Toyota SUV, at the moment I cant remember which one. Also, the Subaru BRZ is rebadged Toyota.

21 - 40 of 86 Posts