Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I remember in the 90s there were so many rebadges that were strange because the manufacturers were sleeping around.

Remember the eagle Talon/Mitsubishi eclipse, Honda passport/ Isuzu rodeo, then there was a Geo that was a rebadged Corolla way before the Corolla matrix was Pontiac’d and Geo were rebadged Suzuki’s after GM bought them Or something.. . but probably the goofiest was the Saab 9-2x which was a second gen Subaru Impreza wagon. There are more that I’m forgetting I’m sure

·
Registered
584 Posts
Rockcrawlerdude - Subaru Outbacks and some Toyotas are now manufactured in the same factory in Indiana. It is interesting. However, unlike the Vibe/Matrix they are not just rebadged versions of each other. That being said, Subaru did sell a rebadged Toyota SUV, at the moment I cant remember which one. Also, the Subaru BRZ is rebadged Toyota.
The BRZ is not a rebadged Toyota. That vehicle was a joint venture between Toyota and Subaru. Its a Toyota powertrain sitting on a Subaru chassis. The suspension was time differently depending on which badge it wore. It’s sold as a scion or a Subaru.
Rebadging means, they took a Toyota and call it their own. In this case it is not so. It was built by both Toyota and Subaru engineers.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The BRZ is not a rebadged Toyota. That vehicle was a joint venture between Toyota and Subaru. Its a Toyota powertrain sitting on a Subaru chassis. The suspension was time differently depending on which badge it wore. It’s sold as a scion or a Subaru.
Rebadging means, they took a Toyota and call it their own. In this case it is not so. It was built by both Toyota and Subaru engineers.
I stand corrected, joint badging. ;-)

·
Registered
128 Posts
California hasn't had state specific emissions systems for quite awhile. I would guess at least 10 years or more. Now everything is standardized 50 state emissions which also includes Canada.
when ordering a truck from gm, under emmisions you have to choose whether you want national emissions standards or California emissions standards

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If it has California emissions then it would have a different RPO code for emissions; I think the emissions RPO codes start with N usually. RPO build list is on the glovebox sticker

·
Registered
128 Posts
THATS WHAT IM THINKING. I CAN LOOK UP HIS CODES AND COMPARE TO MINE. IM IN ARKANSAS AND THEY DONT REALLY CARE ALL THAT MUCH ABOUT THE EMMISIONS HERE

·
Registered
9 Posts
Okay-probably my last post here. GMC finally offered a “settlement “ today. The settlement did not include the extended warranty ( I’ll get back from my indifferent dealer Rob Baker Chevrolet hopefully). Did not include the glasscoat protectant that no ine should ever buy.skylink and safe care. Please don’t buy these extra items. When your truck breaks down you will not get this money back. In my case it totaled around three grand. Basically, I lost this money despite the fact I housed this piece of **** truck in my garage 5 months while Chevy dragged ass to give me a crappy settlement. When your trucks break down don’t screw around and try to negotiate a settlement yourself. Get a lemon law attorney and stick it to GM. Believe me they will do the same to you.

I wish all of you the best but I will never buy another GM product.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Gm didn’t sell you those things, the dealer did. You can get your money back from the dealer by cancelling the warranty coverage etc. I’ve done it, i totaled a brand new truck one time and got my money back on the extended coverages the dealer sold me. You probably can’t get the money back for the garbage add on dealer options but oh well good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
I made the mistake and forked over way too much money and purchased the new 2.8 Chevy Colorado diesel. I traded my trusty 2011 Toyota Tacoma. This Colorado has been in the shop longer than I have owned it. The turbo charge malfunctioned and I was left with no engine power on a very busy freeway. It is understandable that problems will arise in newly made engines. Although this engine has been produced in other countries since 2012, the parts are not readily available. If you purchase this truck and something breaks, good luck on getting it replaced quickly. I would not buy this truck if I had another chance.
I made the mistake and forked over way too much money and purchased the new 2.8 Chevy Colorado diesel. I traded my trusty 2011 Toyota Tacoma. This Colorado has been in the shop longer than I have owned it. The turbo charge malfunctioned and I was left with no engine power on a very busy freeway. It is understandable that problems will arise in newly made engines. Although this engine has been produced in other countries since 2012, the parts are not readily available. If you purchase this truck and something breaks, good luck on getting it replaced quickly. I would not buy this truck if I had another chance.
“I made the mistake and forked over way too much money and purchased the new 2.8 Chevy Colorado diesel.”

I’m always suspicious of these types of comments. First, you complain that you paid too much money for the Chevy Colorado with the Diesel engine. But if that’s true you don’t realize that it’s your fault because you apparent didn’t shop around and don’t know how to negotiate nor purchase a truck during dealer incentives. Second, you brag about your “trusty” tacoma. If it’s so trusty why trade it in? Also, you don’t mention severe frame rust issues that have plagued numerous model years for both the Tacoma and Tundra. And that Toyota settles a $4 billion lawsuit. So much for trust... Finally, you try to make it sound as if your experience with the Colorado, if it’s even true, means that everyone else will experience the same situation. That right there causes me to be extremely suspicious of your anonymous claims.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds to me like he more had a sh!tty dealer.

I had my 2016 in the shop probably 6 times. All related to the DEF fluid and its system. The dealership always took great care of me, gave me a loaner and fixed the truck. 37,000 miles now and no more issues. Most of the problems were around the 6-10,000 mark. If memory serves right.

Now I average about 28 mpg and if going about 65 mph I get almost mid 30's. All stock. Now if I get a Duratuner, sounds like I can get even better mpgs.

End of the day, great truck, had some growing pains, but dealer took care of it all.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If you haven’t bought one yet and found yourself here you can have my opinion.

2 years 20,000 miles former owner

Wasn’t that good of a truck. Way too many red flags for me to keep it... looked like it was going to be a turd money pit over the long haul.

Ditched mine ASAP before everybody figured out they were turds and I could still get primo resale.

Red flags:
-Only holds 5+/- quarts of oil (not sufficient for a diesel)
-requires crappy oil that doesn’t protect the engine
-found LOTS of oil in my intercooler first oil change
-all the problems people have with these things
-price of parts and availability
-dealer wait times for parts
-light duty transmission
-transmission temps always too high

Other complaints
-under powered
-over rated for towing
-struggled towing my 6500lb load
-12mpg towing said load
-crappy brakes
-poor build quality
-poor fit and finish
-cheap materials
-wasn’t a good sounding truck, IMHO, obnoxious When towing a load.

I’m sure there were more.

As always YMMV and good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mechanical issues, hopefully GM will get them sorted out for you. I was a little skeptical when it came to purchasing mine as I’ve had other diesel trucks in the past which gave me a lot of grief. I currently have 24,865 miles on mine without any problems at all and hope it continues to service me well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you haven’t bought one yet and found yourself here you can have my opinion.

2 years 20,000 miles former owner

Wasn’t that good of a truck. Way too many red flags for me to keep it... looked like it was going to be a turd money pit over the long haul.

Ditched mine ASAP before everybody figured out they were turds and I could still get primo resale.

Red flags:
-Only holds 5+/- quarts of oil (not sufficient for a diesel)
-requires crappy oil that doesn’t protect the engine
-found LOTS of oil in my intercooler first oil change
-all the problems people have with these things
-price of parts and availability
-dealer wait times for parts
-light duty transmission
-transmission temps always too high

Other complaints
-under powered
-over rated for towing
-struggled towing my 6500lb load
-12mpg towing said load
-crappy brakes
-poor build quality
-poor fit and finish
-cheap materials
-wasn’t a good sounding truck, IMHO, obnoxious When towing a load.

I’m sure there were more.

As always YMMV and good luck
Most of what you complained about was hypothetical and the rest was opinion so the way it’s written is useless to someone that can see past the BS. Many of the points are just asinine - quantity of oil - who tf cares about that? Show a real world problem with the 2.8 caused by the quantity of oil lol. Requires crappy oil - again, show us where the type of oil caused a problem. Poor fit and finish - nope, not in the slightest - really have to wonder if you know what that means or are just repeating BS you read somewhere. And why did you buy it to begin with if it was poor. Really, every point you made was stupid so I really question why you posted it. There has to be some ulterior motive.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Most of what you complained about was hypothetical and the rest was opinion so the way it’s written is useless to someone that can see past the BS. Many of the points are just asinine - quantity of oil - who tf cares about that? Show a real world problem with the 2.8 caused by the quantity of oil lol. Requires crappy oil - again, show us where the type of oil caused a problem. Poor fit and finish - nope, not in the slightest - really have to wonder if you know what that means or are just repeating BS you read somewhere. And why did you buy it to begin with if it was poor. Really, every point you made was stupid so I really question why you posted it. There has to be some ulterior motive.
I like my truck and haven't had any significant issues with it, but I do agree on a number of rockcrawlerdudes' points.

1. Oil quantity is important in diesels moreso than gas because a greater quantity of oil will handle soot contamination better and also provides a buffer for alkalinity. 6 qts is to small for a truck application. I think 7-8 quarts would be perfect.

2. Dexos 2 AKA Euro ACEA C3 engine oils are also not suitable for a truck application. I'm seeing consistent fuel dilution in my oil samples, and resulting drops is viscosity. These trucks should be getting 5w40 synthetic CJ-4 type diesel engine oil.

3. Yes, poor fit and finish (build quality). My truck had a couple issues with fit that I did not see when I looked at the truck and the dealer was unwilling to fix. The optional goodyear duratrac tires that came on my truck also suck and the dealer will not replace them even though they are the cause of a high speed vibration.

4. Cheap materials, YES! Interior hard plastics on a $45K mid-size truck? Defective "Optional" $1,200 tires? I like the red stitching on the dash and steering wheel but the rest of the interior kinda sucks.

4. The 6L50 was a poor choice for this truck. I don't know why GM didn't use the 8L90 which comes in the 2.8 equipped Express/Savanna vans. The 8L90 is a real truck transmission! It would be more suitable for our trucks and 8 speeds would help with towing near max capacity while keeping temps down.

I don't know how the truck will hold up, but other than the points above ^^^ it seems pretty solid. There are some guys on the other forum that use it regularly for towing and they say it is great and have had no real problems. Whether they will hold up to 200K miles remains to be seen. Kinda wish I would have gotten the 2wd CCLB instead of the 4x4 though.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Any complaint I have now just approaching 19,000 miles would be in line with just about any new vehicle. Nothing is perfect. I have been impressed with the positive responses in the high mileage reliability post I started. The reports of early engine failures are alarming but seem to be just a few compared to the number of these trucks on the road. Every model of every vehicle made has some that roll out of the factory with major problems. That is why there are lemon laws. I will say, I have decided to not delete to preserve the drivetrain warranty. The moment the warranty is up I will do a full delete and switch to a more engine friendly oil. That hopefully will assure engine longevity and without the emissions stuff, I don’t have to worry about that stuff causing problems down the road. From my limited assessment, most of the problems people have are related to the emissions system.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts