Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
2nd owner here. 2017 CCLB 4wd. Had 22,000 miles on it when I picked it up. Now over 50,000. Only had one issue with reduced power when I first got it and dealer fixed it. No issues since. Recently installed Zone 6” lift and 305/55R20s. Now it shifts a little hard and occasional torque converter shudder. Programmer from Shield and Spear on the way should solve those issues.

·
Super Moderator
384 Posts
Hope this is not a Zombie Thread. New to me 2016 Z71 Trail Boss Duramax with ~56,000. After a week my impressions are surprisingly powerful, but not overtly. I look down at the speedo and find I'm violating like hell, but the power is very smooth and liner-sneaky. Milage after several years of 12-14 with my 2015 Sierra ( 60k ran fine, no codes, well maintained), 20 bombing around my local area and so far no ceiling yet found on the super slab (no trips yet just short jaunts) I'm a happy camper. The interior is not quite as nice my SLT Z71 was, but this may not be an equal trim package. Maneuverability is 10x better than my full size GMC. I still have 99.9% of the options and some I didn't have. Oh, and super big plus are the headlights. They were horrible on the Sierra-could not see spit. Finally ordered LED bulbs and that made it at least drivable.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I made the mistake and forked over way too much money and purchased the new 2.8 Chevy Colorado diesel. I traded my trusty 2011 Toyota Tacoma. This Colorado has been in the shop longer than I have owned it. The turbo charge malfunctioned and I was left with no engine power on a very busy freeway. It is understandable that problems will arise in newly made engines. Although this engine has been produced in other countries since 2012, the parts are not readily available. If you purchase this truck and something breaks, good luck on getting it replaced quickly. I would not buy this truck if I had another chance.
I’ve got 43000 on my 2017, no way would I go back to a gas job!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've owned a 2016 since new,now has 165kms,90% highway kms,first two weeks of ownership it through a bunch of def codes and spent three weeks in the shop waiting for parts.
Same story for the rest of its life,constant problems,runs great for two or three months,then it spends a couple weeks at GM. Least reliable vehicle I've ever owned.
Don't thrust taking it to the grocery store,let alone a road trip.

·
Super Moderator
384 Posts
Seems like a love or hate theme going on. Amazingly, GM has managed to sell 3/4 of a million Colorado/Canyons since 2015 alone. Wonders never cease.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I like my truck and haven't had any significant issues with it, but I do agree on a number of rockcrawlerdudes' points.

1. Oil quantity is important in diesels moreso than gas because a greater quantity of oil will handle soot contamination better and also provides a buffer for alkalinity. 6 qts is to small for a truck application. I think 7-8 quarts would be perfect.

2. Dexos 2 AKA Euro ACEA C3 engine oils are also not suitable for a truck application. I'm seeing consistent fuel dilution in my oil samples, and resulting drops is viscosity. These trucks should be getting 5w40 synthetic CJ-4 type diesel engine oil.

3. Yes, poor fit and finish (build quality). My truck had a couple issues with fit that I did not see when I looked at the truck and the dealer was unwilling to fix. The optional goodyear duratrac tires that came on my truck also suck and the dealer will not replace them even though they are the cause of a high speed vibration.

4. Cheap materials, YES! Interior hard plastics on a $45K mid-size truck? Defective "Optional" $1,200 tires? I like the red stitching on the dash and steering wheel but the rest of the interior kinda sucks.

4. The 6L50 was a poor choice for this truck. I don't know why GM didn't use the 8L90 which comes in the 2.8 equipped Express/Savanna vans. The 8L90 is a real truck transmission! It would be more suitable for our trucks and 8 speeds would help with towing near max capacity while keeping temps down.

I don't know how the truck will hold up, but other than the points above ^^^ it seems pretty solid. There are some guys on the other forum that use it regularly for towing and they say it is great and have had no real problems. Whether they will hold up to 200K miles remains to be seen. Kinda wish I would have gotten the 2wd CCLB instead of the 4x4 though.
I agree.
Should hold more oil.
And C3 oil only protects the DPF not the motor......
This is why I don’t go past 50% oil life on the dic.
Some of you say I am wasting oil. I think of it as saving some engine life.
This C3 oil is so crappy that even Amsoil will not say you can exceed manufacturer recommend oil change intervals... Considering every other oil they make they brag about exceeding the MFGs recommendation for oil changes tells me a lot...... I have questioned them on this and they don’t answer........

So with this crap oil and how the EGR causes excessive soot in the oil, I will not go to the recommended oil changes.....
Remember RAM Eco diesel STOPPED using this C3 crap and now recommends Rotella 5-40.
That also tells me a lot about how crappy this C3 oil is......

Rob

·
Super Moderator
384 Posts
I too will be doing more frequent changes until my extended warranty is up. Then like others move to Rotella 5/40

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree.
Should hold more oil.
And C3 oil only protects the DPF not the motor......
This is why I don’t go past 50% oil life on the dic.
Some of you say I am wasting oil. I think of it as saving some engine life.
This C3 oil is so crappy that even Amsoil will not say you can exceed manufacturer recommend oil change intervals... Considering every other oil they make they brag about exceeding the MFGs recommendation for oil changes tells me a lot...... I have questioned them on this and they don’t answer........

So with this crap oil and how the EGR causes excessive soot in the oil, I will not go to the recommended oil changes.....
Remember RAM Eco diesel STOPPED using this C3 crap and now recommends Rotella 5-40.
That also tells me a lot about how crappy this C3 oil is......

Rob
Change mine every 3000 miles. Sounds like a waste of money till you look at and smell the oil at 3000. Hopefully it’ll work out for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I made the mistake and forked over way too much money and purchased the new 2.8 Chevy Colorado diesel. I traded my trusty 2011 Toyota Tacoma. This Colorado has been in the shop longer than I have owned it. The turbo charge malfunctioned and I was left with no engine power on a very busy freeway. It is understandable that problems will arise in newly made engines. Although this engine has been produced in other countries since 2012, the parts are not readily available. If you purchase this truck and something breaks, good luck on getting it replaced quickly. I would not buy this truck if I had another chance.
Too late, I love my 2019. I had a 2013 Tacoma. Horrible truck. Noisy, handles bad in crosswind. Bad fuel economy.
Toyota covered up an inherent transmission flaw. Most people won't notice. I did. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Love my Diesel Colorado. Sorry your truck was not as expected.

·
Super Moderator
384 Posts
The gripes I have are mostly about interior design and material choices. Typical GM parts bin approach. I guess I was willing to overlook (at first) funky seat design and a Geo Tracker spec tilt wheel because diesel. Now it's an every day pain in the ass. Speaking of seats, I have to get the drivers side recovered because the retarded seat design causes damage. No power seat backs? WTF? Now before you jump in to defend these cheap ass decisions, just let me remind you I had 8 way power seats in 1992. Also in 1992: Tilt Wheel with more than enough articulation to avoid dismembering oneself. This wasn't a cheap truck either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
27000 miles on and off road not a single issue but I did get a recall notice in the mail they have to reprogram the egr it was an emissions recall love my zr2

·
Registered
584 Posts
The gripes I have are mostly about interior design and material choices. Typical GM parts bin approach. I guess I was willing to overlook (at first) funky seat design and a Geo Tracker spec tilt wheel because diesel. Now it's an every day pain in the ass. Speaking of seats, I have to get the drivers side recovered because the retarded seat design causes damage. No power seat backs? WTF? Now before you jump in to defend these cheap ass decisions, just let me remind you I had 8 way power seats in 1992. Also in 1992: Tilt Wheel with more than enough articulation to avoid dismembering oneself. This wasn't a cheap truck either.
I’m not a fan of the seat either. The seats in my ‘11 suburban feel a whole lot better. And I agree with your sentiment on the tilt steering. Whoever designed that tilt is a retard.

·
Super Moderator
384 Posts
I’m not a fan of the seat either. The seats in my ‘11 suburban feel a whole lot better. And I agree with your sentiment on the tilt steering. Whoever designed that tilt is a retard.
$260 later seat looks new again. If I end up keeping it long enough, it would be fun to see if some other, less retarded, more luxurious seats can be shoe horned in there.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts