Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of a 2022 Colorado ZR2 2.8L Duramax a week or so ago. This is my first diesel truck and I just did my first refuel. I live in Minnesota where it's gotten colder than -20 over the past day or two. Local gas stations run winter blend diesel that is supposed to be safe up to -30 or so. My truck stays in the garage so it's warmer than being parked outside but I've been reading that the kerosene added to winter blend diesel reduces lubricity and cetane. Should I be running Hot Shots or some other additive in addition to using winter blend fuel?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Using D1 to winterize isn't very common anymore in the US, at least from the pump. Most are winterized (via additives) and not a winter blend. Winterized and winter blend are two different things.

I do run Hot Shot's Secret winter additive as a precaution as I have had fuel gel once due to it not being treated with enough additive when it was filled prior to a cold snap. I use HSS EDT during non winter months. The cetane boost makes the engine run much smoother.

Reactions: Duken4evr

·
Registered
580 Posts
I agree with Drax, run an additive every tank that adds lubricity and in winter use one that also helps with the gelling issue.

·
Registered
2022 GMC Canyon Denali diesel Summit White
7 Posts
I see that I’m late to this party but Optilube XPD is my favorite flavor. It increases lubricity and boost cetane. They offer different options depending on what your needs are, low temps etc. I called them and they assured me that all of their products are emissions systems compatible.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I see that I’m late to this party but Optilube XPD is my favorite flavor. It increases lubricity and boost cetane. They offer different options depending on what your needs are, low temps etc. I called them and they assured me that all of their products are emissions systems compatible.
That's what I've been using since day 1.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've used Power Service winter formula when I lived up "nort." Only gelled one time with some Ma & Pa Gas Station Diesel but getting it going again in sub-freezing weather was enough to motivate me to use some prevention in the future. I've never had an issue since and have recently moved to more moderate climes in the south!

Reactions: SFLTruck
1 - 6 of 6 Posts