Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum.

• Last week I purchased a used 2017 Colorado High Country - 2800 cc i4 turbo diesel with about 44,000 km (27,000 miles) on the clock .
  • This vehicle was produced in their Rayong Plant in Thailand before it closed.
  • According to the seller, Chevrolet Colorado's in Indonesia does not have any DPF installed.
  • Emissions regulations are not as strict here in Indonesia as in other Countries.
This is what I have done to my truck after purchase.
  • ECU remapped
  • EGR delete
  • NO additional performance hardware installed.

My first intention was to get rid of the "dead pedal" that I have read in the forums but after the remap -
I was pleasantly surprised with the HP gain (now at 266) and Torque gain (now at 555).
I intend to use this truck for light off-road duties when looking for mountain bike trials and for some weekend hiking.
Do not really intend to use the do any serious off roading and towing (above 3000 lbs)

My questions are :

Can I increase the performance of the truck further with

*. a good performance filter
*. a good performance exhaust.

I do not want to do any second stage engine modifications that needs me to open up the engine and is wary of diminishing returns once the potential of the engine is nearing its maximum

Thank you for any input

Sincerely,
ks- leong.

140EA470-E139-4485-A1DB-B89F2B71A3A0.jpeg 4BA75FAF-1AC1-4B01-858E-5492E17D391E_1_201_a.jpeg DD0119BA-D111-4D9B-AFD6-333A0E6D1948_1_201_a.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
552 Posts
Congrats! From what I recall, diesel engines don't benefit the same way gas vehicles do with cold air intakes, though a less restrictive exhaust may improve turbocharger performance if you go all the way back to the turbo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi I have a 2017 Chevrolet Colorado diesel and I have done some mods to it and so far it's been noticeably quicker..

• I installed and S&B air intake and it shifts alot quicker in the top end where the diesel lacks power.
  • I changed the transmission fluid to high quality Amisoil full synthetic and I noticed the transmission shifts alot smoother than it did with stock.
  • I also used a scan tool to disable the egr resulting in less regens... and saves fuel
  • in the colder months I use a cetane booster to improve performance and efficiency.

With all these things I've done to it it is definitely alot quicker now than what it was stock.... I am not going to do a full delete but since I disabled my egr it only regens a couple of times on a tank.... it still uses def fluid but alot less of that too now :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
  • I also used a scan tool to disable the egr resulting in less regens... and saves fuel
I'm just curious if you have any information on this? My truck is regenerating every 100 miles and I've tried about everything with no luck.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm just curious if you have any information on this? My truck is regenerating every 100 miles and I've tried about everything with no luck.
What's your Hwy versus City driving ratio?
It sounds like if you do some hwy also that there's an underlying issue that's causing that problem. I would get it looked at sooner rather then later because that many regens will shorten the DPFs life. Plus not to mention cost you $ in additional fuel usage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What's your Hwy versus City driving ratio?
It sounds like if you do some hwy also that there's an underlying issue that's causing that problem. I would get it looked at sooner rather then later because that many regens will shorten the DPFs life. Plus not to mention cost you $ in additional fuel usage.
Yeah there is totally a problem. I do 95% highway driving (50 miles each way) and it regens that much. Two local Chevy dealerships told me the same thing, no check engine light = no problem and they won't do anything about it. I'm just hoping something happens before my extended warranty expires. Thankfully the regens seem to be getting more frequent, my last one was at 75 miles, but still no CEL...

·
Registered
271 Posts
if it's under warranty I would not accept that response from the dealer. I would tell them it's not right fix it or I'm going over your heads to GM. If that doesn't get you anywhere call GM customer service and complain, they will work with you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
if it's under warranty I would not accept that response from the dealer. I would tell them it's not right fix it or I'm going over your heads to GM. If that doesn't get you anywhere call GM customer service and complain, they will work with you.
I wish it were that simple, neither dealership cared when I told them I would call corporate and with good reason since GM doesn't really care either. The generic response of "well if there isn't a check engine light then it's running as it should." After a long line of buying GM, this may be my last...

·
Registered
271 Posts
I wish it were that simple, neither dealership cared when I told them I would call corporate and with good reason since GM doesn't really care either. The generic response of "well if there isn't a check engine light then it's running as it should." After a long line of buying GM, this may be my last...
yup understood, that's what drove me away from GM many years ago....If they crap on me at all, I'm gone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah there is totally a problem. I do 95% highway driving (50 miles each way) and it regens that much. Two local Chevy dealerships told me the same thing, no check engine light = no problem and they won't do anything about it. I'm just hoping something happens before my extended warranty expires. Thankfully the regens seem to be getting more frequent, my last one was at 75 miles, but still no CEL...
Damn if the dealer cant figure it out I would sell it and take a loss... shouldn't be doing it that many times... only thing I could think of is a faulty particulate matter sensor you might be able to replace it yourself can probably by it on amazon...how many miles you have on it? There is definitely a problem

·
Registered
25 Posts
Damn if the dealer cant figure it out I would sell it and take a loss... shouldn't be doing it that many times... only thing I could think of is a faulty particulate matter sensor you might be able to replace it yourself can probably by it on amazon...how many miles you have on it? There is definitely a problem
It's not that they can't figure it out. It's that they won't do anything because there is no CEL. I have 37k on it. Sadly selling it and taking a loss isn't an option. I did buy a pressure differential sensor on amazon to try, if that doesn't work then I'll try the particulate matter sensor. I still don't want to throw money at parts on something that's under warranty. Just sucks getting equal mpg as I did with my 2005 tacoma.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts