Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gang. I thought I'd have another 70,000 miles before it happened. (at 70,000 currently) I thought by the time I saw DPF errors I'd be riding on someone else's YouTube video, but alas it is not so. Yesterday the truck threw a P2459-00 error and reduced engine power while towing 6,000 lbs down the highway at 70 MPH. Luckily I keep my ODBII reader from autel in the truck and witht he help of the app on my phone I kicked off a service regen, then enabled regen mode and cleared the trouble code. The problem went away for about 800 miles before it threw the code again. Luckily I had arrived at the end of my road trip and I am no longer towing.

So here's the question, DPF delete isn't an option for me. My home state checks for the equipment. The current search for Canadian jobs is on hold until they open the boarder again so I'll just have to fix it and leave it functional. Where do I start, how do I troubleshoot this? Where the heck is a diagram with parts numbers and parts descriptions? Basically I can keep clearing the code until I get home, but eventually I'll need to fix it and paying a dealer is not my style.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Someone else was hunting for the Exhaust Particulate Matter sensor...which I think was the same as the DPF...maybe not. But anyways, I had found this article that gives you the breakdown of parts on the exhaust and where they are. I think the pages that will interest you will be 11-16. It unfortunately does not give you part numbers. But it is a good start to identifying where things are and what they are. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello gang. I thought I'd have another 70,000 miles before it happened. (at 70,000 currently) I thought by the time I saw DPF errors I'd be riding on someone else's YouTube video, but alas it is not so. Yesterday the truck threw a P2459-00 error and reduced engine power while towing 6,000 lbs down the highway at 70 MPH. Luckily I keep my ODBII reader from autel in the truck and witht he help of the app on my phone I kicked off a service regen, then enabled regen mode and cleared the trouble code. The problem went away for about 800 miles before it threw the code again. Luckily I had arrived at the end of my road trip and I am no longer towing.

So here's the question, DPF delete isn't an option for me. My home state checks for the equipment. The current search for Canadian jobs is on hold until they open the boarder again so I'll just have to fix it and leave it functional. Where do I start, how do I troubleshoot this? Where the heck is a diagram with parts numbers and parts descriptions? Basically I can keep clearing the code until I get home, but eventually I'll need to fix it and paying a dealer is not my style.
There are places that will clean the dpf. It is an option that the big truck lines use. We have 2 in dallas you can likely find one and i got a quote of 250 for the clean/rebuild

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok I'm assuming this is a stupid question because no one has asked before but why can't you just gut the DPF filter if it is only looking at delta pressure. No filter, no pressure differential. Will it throw a code if it never sees a pressure change? Will it set off the NOX sensor? Just spit balling an idea.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sensors will throw code and move to limp mode. If everything else is good, a clean dpf should give 5 years of service. I like breathing so clean air is important to me. Some care others do not. Each has the right to their opinion. Having it cleaned or the filter replaced is a cheap option. People need to know their choices.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I suspect I may be having an issue with the DPF sensor as well. My fuel mileage has decreased from about 30 mpg to 19 mpg in the past month. 2018 with about 45000 miles on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts

The same thing happened to me at 180K, it is an issue with program, you should have gotten a recall notice from GM. Mine started in December, and I finally found some one to delete the truck in March. If delete is what you do, do not use EFI live, they do not have all the software to perform the job. The tune needs to come from a down-under continent. GM came out with a recall notice in late April or May

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sensors will throw code and move to limp mode. If everything else is good, a clean dpf should give 5 years of service. I like breathing so clean air is important to me. Some care others do not. Each has the right to their opinion. Having it cleaned or the filter replaced is a cheap option. People need to know their choices.
The particulate filter is about 2,000 dollars just parts. Written out of warranties on purpose I assume. Mine lasted About 80,000 miles each just had a second one installed at 158000

·
Registered
14 Posts
If your at70,000 your looking at the particulate filter. I had one go about 80,000 and just replaced again at 158000
2 grand a pop. Not covered specifically written out of extended warrenties

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a quick update: Since I haven't found a good troubleshooting guide I've decided to throw parts at it. Working from plausible and cheap to full on DPF replacement. It might be the most expensive way to do this, but at least I'll have a new DPF stack by the time I'm done and hopefully it's a cheaper sensor that gets replaced before the DPF does. :)

Where I started: I watched the last service regen I performed and saw that the "Differential Pressure Sensor" voltage was all over the place. According to the PDF posed earlier this voltage is how the computer determines how much soot is in the DPF and since the part was cheap on rock auto I ordered it and yesterday replaced it. We'll drive it a bit further and see if it helps. I've found a couple shops around that can flush the DPF to restore it to like-new for about $250 with a warranty. @pbennett62 I had assumed the filters would last more than 80k, sucks to hear they get consumed that quickly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The same thing happened to me at 180K, it is an issue with program, you should have gotten a recall notice from GM. Mine started in December, and I finally found some one to delete the truck in March. If delete is what you do, do not use EFI live, they do not have all the software to perform the job. The tune needs to come from a down-under continent. GM came out with a recall notice in late April or May
I had that recall work done about 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I'm assuming this is a stupid question because no one has asked before but why can't you just gut the DPF filter if it is only looking at delta pressure. No filter, no pressure differential. Will it throw a code if it never sees a pressure change? Will it set off the NOX sensor? Just spit balling an idea.
One of the things I had kind of hoped to hear from this conversation was a litany of people saying just put a hole in it and don't worry, though that hasn't happened so I'm inclined to believe it doesn't work. I've heard from a few places that the ECM will trigger a regen at 800 miles even if the sensors don't indicate a need so perhaps that is why no one has done it. If I can get my hands on a cheap used DPF I would be willing to try it for science, though I'll bet there is a steep core charge to prevent such trials being affordable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also like clean air and it's why I didn't initially remove the DPF when I bought the truck. I live in GA (moving soon to another state that does care) so it was an option until this need to move popped up. My thoughts before was I'd keep the emissions intact and with luck the DPF part would get cheap Chinese knock offs and be affordable to replace when mine finally failed. I'm not of the opinion that 2 grand for a replacement is cheap yet, though it is much better than the OEM 5 grand initial price when I bought my 1st one back in 2017. The flushing service for under 500 is getting pretty close IMO to an affordable solution.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have efi live on mine and they are having issues getting the tunes right

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also like clean air and it's why I didn't initially remove the DPF when I bought the truck. I live in GA (moving soon to another state that does care) so it was an option until this need to move popped up. My thoughts before was I'd keep the emissions intact and with luck the DPF part would get cheap Chinese knock offs and be affordable to replace when mine finally failed. I'm not of the opinion that 2 grand for a replacement is cheap yet, though it is much better than the OEM 5 grand initial price when I bought my 1st one back in 2017. The flushing service for under 500 is getting pretty close IMO to an affordable solution.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi
My 2017 Colorado Deisel has 36,000 miles on it. I have had it serviced at the dealership . I have also had to replace the DPF twice. The first time was before 15,000 miles and the second time last month at 35,000 miles. This time they replaced the filter, EGT Sensor, erased all DTC's and performed a Regen. Now after only 1000 miles I am getting an engine light and Reduced Engine Performance indicator on the dash. When I first saw the engine light and Performance indicator come up, I topped off the DEF fluid thinking that may be it, it wasn't.
Is this an issue with the DPF a common problem with these diesels? Has anyone had the same difficulties with this DPF and is there a REAL fix ? Don't really know what a REGEN is or how to perform one, sounds like a re boot.
Thank You

·
Registered
101 Posts
The flushing service for under 500 is getting pretty close IMO to an affordable solution.
Have you thought about flushing it yourself? I assume it's welded into the exhaust so you probably need to cut it and band-clamp it back in or get fancy and weld in flanges.

There are a lot of YouTube video's on how to clean your DPF with a power washer, most being done on big-rig trucks. Even if you don't do as good a job as a professional flush, if you can DIY and get 30K, it's probably worth saving the $300. I assume you have to cut the DPF and bring it to the flush place and then reinstall yourself. If they did the removal, flush and re-install for $300 I'd just have them do it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts