Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I have been looking over this forum and have seen some i.formatiin but it is pretty dated. I have a 2016 GMC Canyon Diesel and I love it, but about a week ago I got the dreaded shudder, but only when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I see the shudder seems to be because of the torque converter, but have not been able to find where it only happens going from one specific gear to another...

Today when I was taking it over to my mechanic to hook up and see if it threw a code, it did it from the 2nd to 3rd and then the 3rd to 4th so it is getting worse 馃槥 the computer also has not given off a code, so no definite answers. I guess I am just trying to figure out of this is going to be a "cheap" fix or if my transmission is toast. To make matters worse, I am exactly 1 month and 2800 miles out of warranty...uugh.

Any insight into this would really help me figure out which direction to go.

Registered
Hi All, I have been looking over this forum and have seen some i.formatiin but it is pretty dated. I have a 2016 GMC Canyon Diesel and I love it, but about a week ago I got the dreaded shudder, but only when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I see the shudder seems to be because of the torque converter, but have not been able to find where it only happens going from one specific gear to another...

Today when I was taking it over to my mechanic to hook up and see if it threw a code, it did it from the 2nd to 3rd and then the 3rd to 4th so it is getting worse 馃槥 the computer also has not given off a code, so no definite answers. I guess I am just trying to figure out of this is going to be a "cheap" fix or if my transmission is toast. To make matters worse, I am exactly 1 month and 2800 miles out of warranty...uugh.

If it were me I would do a transmission fluid swap using the Mobile blue label LV HP ATF and add a tube of shutter fix. You should do this soon as possible to keep the torgue converter clutch and mating surface from getting damage beyond repair.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I actually have an appointment for the fluid flush and swap, but not until November 2nd (uugh) my mechanic is super busy. But in the mean time, I am not driving it unless absolutely necessary. I did find out I have an extended warranty through GM Still that was not listed, up to 100 067 miles or September of next year, so I'd this doesn't fix it then I will go to the dealership for service

Registered
Agree with sfltruck that fluid and filter change asap are good step. May also consider a gde tranny tune which could help with torque converter slippage. Some who have experienced the slip found it cured by fluid change. I hope you do too.

Registered
A hijack, but "adjacent". Are there any driving habits that we can adopt/avoid to put this off? SFL truck seems to intimate that this is a torque converter problem, so if it is, what can we do to stay locked up more, under heavier loads?

I am a big shifter downer, both with the trailer towing mode, and with "manually" shifting down in "L" mode, when descending, as I would think that my torque converter is both more lightly loaded and more likely to be locked. But I am not that transmission intricate and am ready to be schooled on this.

And plz don't confuse my post with indifference to Kthach657's quandary. Posts helpful to this poster should have priority, and I hope it all comes to nada.

Registered
Thanks, I actually have an appointment for the fluid flush and swap, but not until November 2nd (uugh) my mechanic is super busy. But in the mean time, I am not driving it unless absolutely necessary. I did find out I have an extended warranty through GM Still that was not listed, up to 100 067 miles or September of next year, so I'd this doesn't fix it then I will go to the dealership for service
My last extended warranty purchase was 35 years ago. It got sold to a jobber who (legally) was able to put off payments for months. And I am also from Missouri, the "Fidelis" state. The "Fidelis" brothers shirked 9 figures worth of valid extended warranty claims, while spending 8 figures on lakefront mega mansions. I think they are currently incarcerated.

Long way around to recommending to you, read the tiny print in your X warranty. Hope the old days are over.

Registered
A hijack, but "adjacent". Are there any driving habits that we can adopt/avoid to put this off? SFL truck seems to intimate that this is a torque converter problem, so if it is, what can we do to stay locked up more, under heavier loads?

I am a big shifter downer, both with the trailer towing mode, and with "manually" shifting down in "L" mode, when descending, as I would think that my torque converter is both more lightly loaded and more likely to be locked. But I am not that transmission intricate and am ready to be schooled on this.

And plz don't confuse my post with indifference to Kthach657's quandary. Posts helpful to this poster should have priority, and I hope it all comes to nada.
I'm with you and DEEK when towing my trailer "L" all the way. I think the trans tune is also a big + keeping increased pressure on the torque converter clutch to help prevent any unintended slippage.

There have not been many complaints about TC's on the diesels but I would error on the side of caution with a preemptive fluid swap. It certainly won't hurt the situation I did it to mine because I knew I was going to be towing a 6Klb trailer and in my book it was cheap insurance. I did mine when I installed a PML trans pan and after the fluid swap the trans shifts noticeably smoother.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so I have an update, took it to the dealership to get the fluids flushed and changed (as per GM required before digging into the transmission/replacing the torque converter) they did the fluid change and it did not help at all. Was advised that a Torque converter has been ordered and it will be getting installed this week. Thank god it is under warranty.

Registered

G'day I have a 2017 Diesel 6 spd Colorado that had transmission shudder. Torque convertor was replaced and it was like a new car. That lasted @ 8K before the problem occurred again but worse than before. Being replaced under parts warranty. The issue is that there is a teflon coating on the torque convertor to reduce fuel consumption. This teflon coating comes off causing the issues. This is why GM went for a flush initially and it would appear that GM have not bothered to fix the problem. Just luck of the draw and I bet my bottom dollar the problem will occur again. The shudder is the torque convertor locking and unlocking, which when towing can sound like the transmission is going to jump out of the car when slowing especially on a hill.. If not towing the problem may not be obvious but will highlight itself normally at the higher torque speeds @ 2-3K RPM in 2nd and 3rd gears.

Bob A

Registered
I had service dept change out my trans fluid and my 2-3 and 3-4 shifting shudders went away. Towed a 3500# camper just this past weekend and still no shudder. 37k miles @ fluid change and now 2k mils later. Having said that ...

... reading here makes me think my truck will be on the 37.5k mile "Severe" cycle for trans fluid change/flushes. Maybe even sooner. :( Next time I may do pan drop & fluid flush myself (or as best I can by suction).

Looks like there's still mixed opinion on flush vs fluid change. Some folks argue that the flush gets rid of tiny crap that keeps the TC mating, so they say to only do regular changes. Other folks argue that we need better trans fluid and only a flush will keep the TC from failing. Which way? 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

The Aussies have driven this 6 speed w/ the diesel longer than us Americans, and evidently some BMWs have a version of this tranny too? anyways those mechanics say the TC is faulty and it will eventually fail no matter what any of us do. Hopefully they're wrong!

Registered
I had service dept change out my trans fluid and my 2-3 and 3-4 shifting shudders went away. Towed a 3500# camper just this past weekend and still no shudder. 37k miles @ fluid change and now 2k mils later. Having said that ...

... reading here makes me think my truck will be on the 37.5k mile "Severe" cycle for trans fluid change/flushes. Maybe even sooner. :( Next time I may do pan drop & fluid flush myself (or as best I can by suction).

Looks like there's still mixed opinion on flush vs fluid change. Some folks argue that the flush gets rid of tiny crap that keeps the TC mating, so they say to only do regular changes. Other folks argue that we need better trans fluid and only a flush will keep the TC from failing. Which way? 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

The Aussies have driven this 6 speed w/ the diesel longer than us Americans, and evidently some BMWs have a version of this tranny too? anyways those mechanics say the TC is faulty and it will eventually fail no matter what any of us do. Hopefully they're wrong!
I went severe cycle, and factory full syn (my 2018 came with semi syn). My second change might be "Maybe even sooner". So far, so good. There has been discussion about the efficacy of an infant change - 1-2K miles after driving it off the lot. Thoughts/data, anyone, anyone...?

Registered
I can't remember how many miles were on mine but I changed mine at something like 6000 to 7500. I had added a PML deep trans pan, so I took the opportunity knowing I'm going to be towing an RV and did a fluid swap at that time (blue label mobile HP LV). As soon as I did it I could tell the difference on the smoothness of the up and down shifts. It was worth the time and effort.

The best part is I also added a Lokar dipstick so now I have a drain plug on the pan and can add and check and add fluid from the top side. It sucks that you buy a truck with a towing package and have to go aftermarket to be able properly service the trans.

Registered

I am currently having to replace my 2016 Colorado Diesels transmission. it only has 67k miles on it.

Registered
I can't remember how many miles were on mine but I changed mine at something like 6000 to 7500. I had added a PML deep trans pan, so I took the opportunity knowing I'm going to be towing an RV and did a fluid swap at that time (blue label mobile HP LV). As soon as I did it I could tell the difference on the smoothness of the up and down shifts. It was worth the time and effort.

The best part is I also added a Lokar dipstick so now I have a drain plug on the pan and can add and check and add fluid from the top side. It sucks that you buy a truck with a towing package and have to go aftermarket to be able properly service the trans.
I also added a Lokar dipstick and had the transmission flushed at 7,000 mi with full synthetic fluid to replace the semi-syn OEM fluid. At 49,000 mi, I had a pan drop and filter change, and the Blackstone analysis was excellent.

I feel much better knowing that my fluid levels are OK using the Lokar, and that I can top off or sample the fluid at any time.

Reactions: SFLTruck
1 - 17 of 17 Posts