Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have anyone else receive a report that track your every driving habits as in speed, bake and such?

They call it the insurance discount program. It track all your movement like an airplane black box and onstar send you a report.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yea. My insurance provider asked me if I wanted to enroll in that, obviously i opted not to. But, onstar still sent me a few of those emails the first few months

·
Registered
149 Posts
Here is the rub - EVERYTHING is tracked on these 'smart cars' and the manufacturers are not really forthcoming on what all the EDR (event data recorder) and now GPS enabled vehicles are programmed to capture but hear are just a few of the spooky things: There are minimum standards for what gets recorded with the EDR, but anything above that the manufacturer wants to track and retain is totally open and done without consent. Remember these are now rolling computerized cell phones with navigation and anything they want to program or change programmaticaly on the fly via downloaded apps can be done.

1. A GPS enabled vehicle knows and records your coordinates; if programmed to do so and you exceed the posted speed limit for the location you are at (part of the navigation functions) it can record the vehicle speed and location whenever you exceed the known posted speed. Want automatic tickets? Higher insurance rates? It's all just a matter of programming.
2. There is nowhere the vehicle can go where they don't know where it is. You may not be paying for ANY Onstar services such as theft recovery but they are ALWAYS active and available to law enforcement - if they want to shut your vehicle down while you are driving it they can have it ordered. OnStar is always "On" - always.
3. The system in the Colorado also knows who is wearing seat belts (not just the driver as required by the EDR laws) and can report that - it DOES record that if there is a crash as that's been part of the EDR functions for years however sending it to insurance companies is a stinking twist.
4. Expect all insurance companies to start requiring you let them monitor your 'smart vehicle' or suffer higher rates. It will happen too, just as they tied your credit rating and age to what you pay for insurance, your actual driving and accident history will be meaningless and in a few years the insurance lobby will see that any remaining 'manually operated' vehicle will be required to be tracked for insurance rate purposes (under the guise of maintaining 'safety').
7. Disabling the EDR functionality will definitely cause you grief with the law however for now I don't know of any law that prevents you from ripping out the cellular capability of a smart vehicle to transmit data - but it may void your warranty as thats one on GM's maintenance compliance tools.

8. It gets worse, way worse, as with a cell phone all conversations happening in the vehicle can be monitored.

Now don't you which you had just spent your money fully restoring an old early to mid 80's full sized diesel pickup - and then also running over your pocket cell phone with it :)

Added: this is the link to the latest GM Privacy Policy, you should read it thoroughly and take note of all the 'legal wiggle room' to pretty much do anything they want.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they don't need helicopter, they just pay John Wayne from Mumbai $1 an hour to sit in front of a computer watching and listening to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts