Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this so I can assist the dealer in determining the problem.

On several occasions the truck has attempted to start with no human input. I believe in most cases the key was in the ignition and definitely in the OFF position. The last time this happened it was parked in the garage for over 24 hours when I heard a noise and discovered the parking lights were on, the doors were locked (I did NOT lock it) and the starter was making attempts to start the engine (but as usual when this occurs it would not start). It made at least 10 starting attempts that I know of before I could find the extra set of keys to get into the vehicle, unlock the door and remove the key from the ignition. Later determined the battery was nearly dead. Assuming the lights drained it.

The dealer had been notified about 2 years ago and about a year ago a new ignition was installed. It did not change anything and the issue seems to be increasing in frequency. Each service I mention it is happening but they can't seem to determine what the problem is. This latest time I could smell electrical. I had to jump start it to get it running and all systems seemed to be working fine.

Could simply leaving the key in the ignition cause some kind of issue. Again, the key is definitely in the OFF position!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had a fuse block fell in the engine compartment gave all sorts of weird codes the key would get locked in the ignition & truck would tried to crank. The dealer had to replace the whole fuse block by the engine he said it was burned so bad underneath was surprise it didn’t start a fire. $500

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, I haven’t been on here in a while. I am experiencing an intermittent electrical issue that led me back and just saw your post. My 2016 wouldn’t start a few weeks back after making a quick stop at a store. After snooping a bit, I discovered the starter circuit fuse blown. I tried to swap a few other fuses into its place and they blew also. Paid for a tow to the closest dealer (out of 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty). Dealer replaced the fuses and said don’t know why but it’s running now. No issues for two weeks, then the same thing happened again 100 miles from home. I figure something in the steering column is the issue. Turned the wheel a bit and replaced the fuse and the truck started right up. I had the same issues again yesterday and got the truck running once more. This morning I drove the truck, parked it and the fuse was again blown.
Did the same routine and got it started, but this time after I shut it off and removed the key, it cranked until the fuse blew. The fuse is F12 under the hood.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hi, I haven’t been on here in a while. I am experiencing an intermittent electrical issue that led me back and just saw your post. My 2016 wouldn’t start a few weeks back after making a quick stop at a store. After snooping a bit, I discovered the starter circuit fuse blown. I tried to swap a few other fuses into its place and they blew also. Paid for a tow to the closest dealer (out of 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty). Dealer replaced the fuses and said don’t know why but it’s running now. No issues for two weeks, then the same thing happened again 100 miles from home. I figure something in the steering column is the issue. Turned the wheel a bit and replaced the fuse and the truck started right up. I had the same issues again yesterday and got the truck running once more. This morning I drove the truck, parked it and the fuse was again blown.
Did the same routine and got it started, but this time after I shut it off and removed the key, it cranked until the fuse blew. The fuse is F12 under the hood.
Really sorry this happened to you. Your guess on the cause (steering column) makes sense to me, but I hope that more experienced forumers chime in too. And selfishly, if this is generic, I hope GM detects the pattern and recalls. I'm also guessing that if you're right, a non Mickey Mouse fix will involve expensive modular transplants. The best you can hope for in that case is that your fixer can figure out a way to stop wiring abrasion. My dog in the fight is that my 3/36 will run out this winter, winterbirding at Pismo Beach, out of my auto service comfort zone. Please keep up updated....

·
Registered
13 Posts
I picked up the truck from the dealer this evening. They found a chaffed wire. The repair ticket reads “tech found the yellow B+ starter wire rubbed through and contacting the air conditioner line behind the drivers side wheel well, causing the wire to ground out and blowing the F12 fuse”
I just wish they would have looked for the problem the first time when I had to have it towed in instead of just swapping out the blown fuses.
To the OP, maybe this info will help your dealer find the problem as mine attempted to start with the key out of the ingnition.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a fuse block fell in the engine compartment gave all sorts of weird codes the key would get locked in the ignition & truck would tried to crank. The dealer had to replace the whole fuse block by the engine he said it was burned so bad underneath was surprise it didn’t start a fire. $500
I'll mention this to the dealer. I doubt that is related but you never know. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really sorry this happened to you. Your guess on the cause (steering column) makes sense to me, but I hope that more experienced forumers chime in too. And selfishly, if this is generic, I hope GM detects the pattern and recalls. I'm also guessing that if you're right, a non Mickey Mouse fix will involve expensive modular transplants. The best you can hope for in that case is that your fixer can figure out a way to stop wiring abrasion. My dog in the fight is that my 3/36 will run out this winter, winterbirding at Pismo Beach, out of my auto service comfort zone. Please keep up updated....
Yes I will share this as well and appreciate the information. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I picked up the truck from the dealer this evening. They found a chaffed wire. The repair ticket reads “tech found the yellow B+ starter wire rubbed through and contacting the air conditioner line behind the drivers side wheel well, causing the wire to ground out and blowing the F12 fuse”
I just wish they would have looked for the problem the first time when I had to have it towed in instead of just swapping out the blown fuses.
To the OP, maybe this info will help your dealer find the problem as mine attempted to start with the key out of the ingnition.
Not really, it is still an issue and the only thing that seems to prevent it is taking the key out of the ignition (even for just a few seconds). Pulled it out of the garage to wash it and left the key in the ignition and it happened again. Also, it doesn't always do it. So very unpredictable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The problem shouldn't occur just because the key is in the ignition (and always in the OFF position when it happens). The key ring only has the car key and the key fob so it's not especially heavy or being influenced by a second key fob. No other keys. At least it seems to have stopped since I am removing the key from the ignition. But the day I discovered the nearly dead battery it had probably been engaging the starter for a long time. The electrical smell was evident but after a trip and a thousand miles it seems ok if I take the key out of the ignition. Only happened once this week when I stepped out of the truck to get something out of the rear and the key was in the ignition. Maybe 10 seconds after I shut it down.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I find this a strange post. Trying to justify this is just unreal. Leaving a key in an ignition is even more strange. I hope the moderators look at this as something that should go!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I came to this forum (and one other Colorado diesel related forum) for help. Sadly, some comments have instead questioned my practice of sometimes leaving the key in the ignition as strange or perhaps irresponsible. I did expect that and sadly I was correct. It's curious how sharing an action that might be of value to others is so strongly criticized by some in a totally unrelated context. Once again, whether my action is irresponsible or strange has nothing to do with the problem that most all of you would agree has traditionally, to my knowledge, never caused a mechanical safety concern (and for me that covers over 50 years of ownership with an impeccable safety record and believe it or not, no stolen vehicles and for what it's worth, just about the entire time that's where my keys were stored at home, and I have no regrets). Those who have expressed criticism of my practice have no idea of the factors involved in my choosing to do so and/or the property environment(s) or individual situations in which such practice occurred.

It would seem pretty clear that the pressing issue is that sharing or inquiring about this problem could not only assist in finding a solution (which would be most helpful to me and to others experiencing a similar issue as well as the dealer), but also in providing safety for others. Thank you to the many who have offered ideas and assistance and my hope is that this issue and mystery will be explained.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts