Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well going to bite the bullet and take my chances on this. Have no issues at the present, truck runs great and still avg. 24mpg in winter driving conditions. SOooooooo....., Will let you guys know of any perf. changes that I notice or not. (Damn, should of put this in the "tune" section!) MADMAC:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Everything I’ve read about this recall has been positive. Better driveability and better manners from the trans, supposedly they fix the grade braking. I want to get it done, just waiting on my tuner to give me the ok.

Can’t wait to hear back from you

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had this done Saturday. No change in mpg. Transmission shifts much, much smoother.

From what I can see there is no reason to not have it done for those running an undeleted truck.

·
Registered
213 Posts
is this the same refresh that they are saying is to widen the parameters of the exhaust sensors? Just trying to keep track of what all is out there.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes. There are two recalls. Ecu flash for DPF sensor and flash for timing belt reminder. More than likely they updated a few other things in the file for fine tuning. The difference in transmission shifting is very noticeable.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Rockcrawlerdude - what is DT saying about this flash? I've read that it is causing the trucks to go back to a state that does not allow the multi switch to work.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yea that’s true. For now you would have to choose one tune. I’m waiting for now, but may just go ahead and get the recall done

·
Registered
213 Posts
that's somewhat disappointing, but coming from the Subaru tuning days having to quickly connect up the hand held to switch maps isn't that much of an inconvenience. I'm sure it would stay on map 3 99.9% of the time anyway. Once I make a final decision if I want to swap out my tires I'll probably go ahead and get the tune.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
See, I haven't had any issues or complaints with our truck. No bad shifting, good mpgs, no problems with the dash computer. So, I don't see any reason to go ahead and get the recall done. Because I have heard that one of these recalls has caused issues with trucks that not had any problems with say the dash computer and get worse mpgs, or bring on a CEL and put the truck in limp mode. I haven't had any of that, so my thoughts are; if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Also, if this update would cause it to be where the DSP4 switch doesn't work and you have to choose 1 tune, I really don't want to go do it. No, I am not tuned yet, but I intend to and I would like to have the use of the DSP4 switch.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
@Burgess159 the recall is to fix a problem where the trucks computer isn’t diagnosing a problem. So, I would say if you get a check engine light after the recall then the recall worked and your truck is now diagnosing a problem that it wasn’t before.

Also, efi live is working on the software and the switchable tuning will be fixed shortly. Just like it was on the 17 models at first

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
What I think I am going to do is go ahead and tune back to stock and make an appointment for the recall. After the recall I will probably wait a month or two maybe more before tuning back anyway just to make sure I still don’t have any problems. I shouldn’t need to tow anything for a while since my projects are both under the knife. By that time hopefully DT and efi live will have it figured out and I’ll be good.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, got er done. Haven't got any real world testing but I did notice that the trans. does shift "softer" and I don't get any sharp downshifts. Only time will tell!! I had both the DPF and Timing belt ECM re-flashes done. MADMAC

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an update, as far as I can tell, my fuel mileage has gone up about 1-1.5mpg. and no bells or whistles. Truck seems to perform as should. MAC:)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
That's good then. I still haven't bothered to go get mine done. I might. But I dunno. If it isn't broke, don't fix it I figure. My worry would be that then it would detect something and the engine light would come on and go into limp mode. Whereas now, the truck runs great and I have no problems.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just bought my truck in mid December, is there any way to see if the dealer performed this recall on mine before I bought it?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I just bought my truck in mid December, is there any way to see if the dealer performed this recall on mine before I bought it?
Did you get a letter? I’ve gotten multiple notifications. If you haven’t, then you probably already have it.

I’ve tuned back to stock and have an appt for Monday to get it done. I will keep the truck stock for a long while after the recall just to make sure everything is good. Duramaxtuner says the transmission tuning is untouched by the dealer in this recall (which goes against the info I said before) it’s possible the trans goes back into learn mode after the flash and it acts different because of that

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know RCD, my truck seems to shift much "smoother" not so abrupt compared to before I took it in. But your results may vary. MAC:)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I don't know RCD, my truck seems to shift much "smoother" not so abrupt compared to before I took it in. But your results may vary. MAC:)
You and so many others have reported a noticeable difference before and after. I don’t disagree with you. I am just passing along what Duramaxtuner said, since I follow their instructions when getting my truck flashed by the dealer

1 - 20 of 31 Posts