Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't have a Canyon or Colorado yet, but am hoping to before spring. Would love to add EFI Live with a 4 position switch from either DuramaxTuner or MotorOps (pretty much DuramaxTuner from Canada is all but they don't have to deal with the EPA). I had a 2004 LLY Duramax with EFI Live from DT for a few years and I loved having the ability to change tunes on the go, as opposed to the Hypertech 3 programmer that came with the truck when I bought it. We purchased an Autocal with a single tune from MotorOps for one of our work trucks, a 2008 LMM, which is how I found out about them in the first place.

Didn't know if anyone else had put EFI Live on their 2.8 yet or not? I saw one thread with 1 person who had, but that was it. I did read someone's post that installing tunes void's your warranty =( which is disheartening, but I might still be tempted to install it anyways.

The next question I have, which I ask because when I had my LLY, I, of course, removed the muffler and catalytic converter in favor of a straight pipe of course. If you've never had, heard, seen, experienced a 6.6 Duramax with a straight pipe at highway speed when you have to mash on it; oh the sound it makes. You would never forget it if you've heard it. Anyways, I know the 2.8 isn't the 6.6, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to put a straight pipe on one when I get one and remove the muffler, cat, dpf and def so that the truck can actually breathe and have a good sound to it. I actually want to hear my exhaust, turbo, and engine when I step on the accelerator with a diesel. Has anyone tried this yet, or heard of anyone who has done it here in the U.S.?

MotorOps has tuning that can disable the emissions system, whether it is removed or not (if I disable it, I'm probably going to remove it, but some people leave it there, say like the EGR) so I'm leaning towards getting a system from them. They are about the same price as DuramaxTuner, around $1,000 for ECM and TCM tuning with a 4 position switch and Autocal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
From what I've read yes the turner "may" void your warranty. GM has to prove it was the tuner that caused an issue thus voiding the warranty. It's still in a gray area... not sure I'd change the tune until after the warranty period expires.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Saw this video on YouTube. This is why I feel the need for tuning. With the tow tune from DuramaxTuner, you gain 32 HP and 30 ft/ lbs of torque, plus they, of course, redo the fuel charts and shift points to get the truck to actually work better. Not that the truck did bad in this video review, but it could always be better =) Also, I know I won't be towing a lot or in such extreme environments like this, but it's just good to have.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I have the duramaxtuner which uses an autocal manufactured by efi live and all the computer software is efi live. I have the 4 position switch with the 4 tunes changeable on the fly and the handheld spade unit.

I thought about deleting but after hearing videos here and others elsewhere I decided the trucks sound like poop deleted. Maybe a muffler and/or resonator will fix that but it's a really nice truck I dont want to make it sound crappy. I love the fact that this is a pretty eco friendly truck but if the emissions system starts acting up I wouldn't be against looking into a delete with a quiet muffler (flopro)

Duramaxtuner did not recommend nor support removing the emissions from the vehicle but they did say they could refer me to a guy who could sell me the delete file for a small fee if I decided to delete later.

·
Registered
150 Posts
UPDATED: THE DSP4 SWITCHING FOR THE 2107 MODELS IS AVAILABLE NOW

Be aware that the Duramax Tuner currently only supports single tune files for 2017 models. I read somewhere that the tuner ships with a four position switch in anticipation of the release of the 4-tune programming but that hasn't happened yet to my knowledge and right now their website explicitly states "** Switchable Tuning Is Currently Only Available for 2016 Model. 2017 Models Will Be Supported By Single Tune Files."

I keep watching this as once my warranty is up I want to make changes but since I have 2017 it seems warranty expiration and available programming seem to play a big factor in preventing me from doing anything now.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
You're right about all that, Karl.

If you had to pick just one, Tune 2, or the tow tune, is probably the best all around tune. works very well with the trans tune. I think @Bojax has a 17 and runs that single tune. It's in the neighborhood of 212hp/412tq. I have the switch and I rarely switch it higher.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
213 Posts
one reason I'm still hesitant to buy the tuner as well, but I'm sure I could live with one tune. Rockcrawlerdude, I'm curious why you wouldn't run the #3 tune the majority of the time?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
one reason I'm still hesitant to buy the tuner as well, but I'm sure I could live with one tune. Rockcrawlerdude, I'm curious why you wouldn't run the #3 tune the majority of the time?
Well, i have switchable tuning, so I don't have to choose (;

But, to answer your question, since I tow I would pick tune 2 if I could only pick one. It's a good mix of power and driveability and mpg, see below. If I didn't tow I would have a sports car.

That #3 tune is a really hot one, its too hard for me to keep my foot out of it, so I get lousy mileage, like 19mpg. Literally can't keep myself from hot-rodding in tune 3. I'm not saying the tune gives you bad mileage, but it's fun and I like fun.

Typically I just run tune 1 to get good mpg or tune 2 for towing. Which are the reasons I got my tunes. Other tunes are for showing off or having a little fun.

·
Registered
213 Posts
all good points. I need to call and talk with them so I understand how it works, aka what does single tune really mean. Seems like with the tuner I'd be able to plug it in and just flash a different tune, obviously not as convenient as changing the dial on the fly, but not a huge deal. If there is something that would stop me from doing that, then I'd say that would be a deal breaker. I've had a couple of Subarus that I ran the Cobb Access Port on and that's pretty much how they worked, after you married the tuner to the car you could do quick map changes using the tuner.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would think you could do what you said, Andy. With the whole plug the programmer in and go. I mean that was how my Hypertech 3 programmer was on my 2004 Duramax. It has 3 tunes, but you only load one at a time and if you want to change it, it takes 5-10 minutes to rewrite the program on the ECU. I would think that is how the ones from Duramax Tuner should be, but I've never had one of their programmers, I just had the pre-programmed ECU and DSP5 switch.

On a side note, I got to looking at the MotorOps website, who I'm almost positive is Duramax Tuner but based out of Canada. Anyhow, their tuner and DSP4 switch do not say anything about being 2016 Only like Duramax Tuner's page does. I emailed them asking if it was year specific but I have not heard back yet. That would be nice =) I don't wonder if it's because theirs you are able to turn off the emissions system? Maybe.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well I know Canadian spec vehicles are different than ours sometimes, so maybe they didn't change the ECU like the US did? Or they just didn't list it correctly. I'll probably wind up ordering the tuner next month.

·
Registered
12 Posts
all good points. I need to call and talk with them so I understand how it works, aka what does single tune really mean. Seems like with the tuner I'd be able to plug it in and just flash a different tune, obviously not as convenient as changing the dial on the fly, but not a huge deal. If there is something that would stop me from doing that, then I'd say that would be a deal breaker. I've had a couple of Subarus that I ran the Cobb Access Port on and that's pretty much how they worked, after you married the tuner to the car you could do quick map changes using the tuner.
I talked to Durama tuner.com out of the Chicago area, for my 2016 their tuner can be upgraded if you ever change trucks. They were real helpful and seemed to know alot about the workings of this motor. I called for DEF delete, and they were not in favor of doing it as after 60,000 miles I have had no problems. The tuner has 4 settings, 1 is economical, 2 is the towing mode, 3 is sport tune, and 4 is hot rod not recommended for constant use. Just have not decided to pull the plug and order.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the duramaxtuner which uses an autocal manufactured by efi live and all the computer software is efi live. I have the 4 position switch with the 4 tunes changeable on the fly and the handheld spade unit.

I thought about deleting but after hearing videos here and others elsewhere I decided the trucks sound like poop deleted. Maybe a muffler and/or resonator will fix that but it's a really nice truck I dont want to make it sound crappy. I love the fact that this is a pretty eco friendly truck but if the emissions system starts acting up I wouldn't be against looking into a delete with a quiet muffler (flopro)

Duramaxtuner did not recommend nor support removing the emissions from the vehicle but they did say they could refer me to a guy who could sell me the delete file for a small fee if I decided to delete later.
They gave me the exact same answer

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I talked to Durama tuner.com out of the Chicago area, for my 2016 their tuner can be upgraded if you ever change trucks. They were real helpful and seemed to know alot about the workings of this motor. I called for DEF delete, and they were not in favor of doing it as after 60,000 miles I have had no problems. The tuner has 4 settings, 1 is economical, 2 is the towing mode, 3 is sport tune, and 4 is hot rod not recommended for constant use. Just have not decided to pull the plug and order.
If you ever go with them, you'll be very happy with the performance and their support. I run tune three almost all the time, it's a lot of fun and I'm getting better mileage now that I'm used to driving it in that tune. The debate of whether or not tuning hurts your warranty is still around, I am not sure about that but you're getting out of mileage warranty range anyway, I only have 7k miles but I rolled the dice

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had emailed DuramaxTuner yesterday about when they thought the DSP4 switch might be available for the 2017's, or even if they would, and I got a call back today from them on it and the representative said that he had just got word today that the switch is now available for the 2017's! :cool::D;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Be aware that the Duramax Tuner currently only supports single tune files for 2017 models. I read somewhere that the tuner ships with a four position switch in anticipation of the release of the 4-tune programming but that hasn't happened yet to my knowledge and right now their website explicitly states "** Switchable Tuning Is Currently Only Available for 2016 Model. 2017 Models Will Be Supported By Single Tune Files."

I keep watching this as once my warranty is up I want to make changes but since I have 2017 it seems warranty expiration and available programming seem to play a big factor in preventing me from doing anything now.

Not ANY MORE... Got an email yesterday... This is copied and pasted.

Good Morning Steve,

Just wanted to let you know the DSP4 (on the fly switchable tuning between 4 tunes) is now available for 2017 models and working trouble free. Give me a call when you get time at the number below with your vin number and tire size and we can get a order put together for you!

Have a great day!

Jim Rendant

Sales Technician

815-568-7920 Ext. 2126

1 - 20 of 48 Posts