Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What thoughts do you guys have for an ideal position to mount a EGT probe so as to get good pre-turbo temps?

my truck was deleted a while ago but left to a stock tune. im doing some tuning myself and am looking for anyone else who has potentally done an EGT and has a location to place the probe, relocate one of the stock sensors, use one of the stock sensors in the exhaust manifold... etc. what have you guys done?

·
Registered
150 Posts
So if I Delete my truck can i keep this sensor plugged into the harness and use a Banks iDash to view my EGT's??
Yes, that EGT sensor is unaffected by the deletes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, that EGT sensor is unaffected by the deletes.
it depends on the tune file. if the tuner pins out all the EGT gauges to 1000C all the time the sensor is worthless... You will need a tune that is more of a true EGR remap, regen remap, and DTC error removal than a pin parameters to trick the computer. there are alot of ways to delete a truck that will work some are better than others it would seem.

also i have no clue what parameters the banks iDash looks at so i have no idea if it can read a stock EGT probe.

from what GDE claims the stock tune should have an EGT probe thats readable pre turbo and in theory if a good delete file was written it would remain readable. (thanks for the reply GDE i havent messed with my tune in a few months to see the pre turbo egt sensor temp) kinda like the low power one i got in it now where i feel very safe about not melting the turbo

·
Registered
150 Posts
it depends on the tune file. if the tuner pins out all the EGT gauges to 1000C all the time the sensor is worthless... You will need a tune that is more of a true EGR remap, regen remap, and DTC error removal than a pin parameters to trick the computer. there are alot of ways to delete a truck that will work some are better than others it would seem.

also i have no clue what parameters the banks iDash looks at so i have no idea if it can read a stock EGT probe.

from what GDE claims the stock tune should have an EGT probe thats readable pre turbo and in theory if a good delete file was written it would remain readable. (thanks for the reply GDE i havent messed with my tune in a few months to see the pre turbo egt sensor temp) kinda like the low power one i got in it now where i feel very safe about not melting the turbo
Any tuner that thinks it's a good idea to effectively disable the EGT sensors and remove all EGT overtemp safeguards is a tuner that doesn't belong in business and nobody should be giving them their money. There is absolutely no reason to do that except for laziness or incompetence. Disabling the downstream EGT sensors because they no longer exist is one thing, disabling the pre-turbo EGT that remains in place regardless of the deletes is nonsense. Any poor-quality tune that disables such EGT sensors is putting people at high risk of failure under certain conditions that generate high EGTs, like towing up grades. The EGT sensor and automatic derating are critical.

The iDash reads OBD-II PIDs and as long as it's been programmed to display the PID for that sensor or there's a way to add custom PIDs then there's no reason it can't read it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any tuner that thinks it's a good idea to effectively disable the EGT sensors and remove all EGT overtemp safeguards is a tuner that doesn't belong in business and nobody should be giving them their money. There is absolutely no reason to do that except for laziness or incompetence. Disabling the downstream EGT sensors because they no longer exist is one thing, disabling the pre-turbo EGT that remains in place regardless of the deletes is nonsense. Any poor-quality tune that disables such EGT sensors is putting people at high risk of failure under certain conditions that generate high EGTs, like towing up grades. The EGT sensor and automatic derating are critical.

The iDash reads OBD-II PIDs and as long as it's been programmed to display the PID for that sensor or there's a way to add custom PIDs then there's no reason it can't read it.
I agree but you never know what your getting today. the EPA cracking down so the good guys go underground and people get what they can get. just giving a heads up

i assumed the iDash could do that but never ran one 😀

1 - 11 of 11 Posts