Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are several threads on this so apologies if rehashing BUT what I’m looking for is:
Those of you who have had emissions issues- were they solved (permanently, not just for 6 mo) and how?

Not the deleted solution but how have DEF & DPH issues been fixed?

I see threads “of I changed def pump and still no resolution “type posts...,

what works save deletion?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Permanent emissions fix…. Not possible without a delete
You never know when a sensor will fail.
My personal opinion here ….
Never fill the DEF tank unless you drive a lot. And I mean a lot.
DEF goes bad and hot weather makes DEF go bad fast.
I never keep DEF on hand I wait till it’s really low then put one jug in. That usually take me to around 1/2 a tank.
If you don’t spend time on the highway you are probably going to have DPF issues sooner or later.
And I mean more highway driving than city.
Use diesel additive at every fill up

I met a guy at the gas station with 170,000 + km on his 3 year old truck. Drives a lot of highway and pulls a lot of trailers. He said his truck has been very impressive.
But he did have a frozen DEF line issue and needed the heated line replaced.

It seems the owners that work there trucks don’t have many isssues.
If you do short drives that could be a problem….

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yes to all you said and that's how I'm trying to drive
I live out of town so the minimum is 20 mi highway. I also pull into 5 th on hills a lot so not to lug. I Try to keep it at 1800-2000 rpm under load in hills/mind. Need to get gauge set like on my Dodge 3500. A diesel without a pyro is not a great thing in the mtns.

Good point on DEF. I have never seen a regen message in my 47,000 mi. Is it possible I'm keeping it clean enough with driving style it doesn't have to regeneration to clean DPF?

Just heard back from dealer - not emissions but a engine coolant sensor. Likely will be covered by warranty.
So I guess that's good news???

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Yes to all you said and that's how I'm trying to drive
I live out of town so the minimum is 20 mi highway. I also pull into 5 th on hills a lot so not to lug. I Try to keep it at 1800-2000 rpm under load in hills/mind. Need to get gauge set like on my Dodge 3500. A diesel without a pyro is not a great thing in the mtns.

Good point on DEF. I have never seen a regen message in my 47,000 mi. Is it possible I'm keeping it clean enough with driving style it doesn't have to regeneration to clean DPF?

Just heard back from dealer - not emissions but a engine coolant sensor. Likely will be covered by warranty.
So I guess that's good news???
The only way to tell about a regen without a gauge is watching your fuel instant mileage. When it's doing a regen it will drop down 7 to 10 miles a gallon for the duration of the regen. This usually takes about 18 minutes or so at hwy speeds.

Get a Banks Super gauge or data monster it will give you all 4 exhaust temp probes on one screen. You can have up to 8 items on a screen and up to 5 screens that are easily accessible. I have a screen that has def level, miles since last regen and how many miles driven total on the last regen. It's a kick butt little gauge....

I love mine

1 - 4 of 4 Posts