Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings:
I am new to the forum, and have recently picked up a Black 2017 2.8 Canyon with 25K on meter - very excited.
I have been reading a ton about tuning options available, and how unfortunately options have become extremely limited for us in the US.

I have read various posts (most are pretty old) on this forum and another Colorado forum where people have "Emissions Intact" tunes and have also removed/blocked their EGR. This is exactly what im looking to do as DEF and DPF doesn't bother me, but pumping exhaust into my intake does.

My question:
Do the "Intact tunes" currently available allow for an EGR delete as part of the program? Could I simply buy a "Emissions Intact" from say Duramaxtuner or somewhere else (???) and simply unplug the EGR?

When I started this quest I was going to see what GDE could offer - but I see they don't offer anything anymore. From my understanding Duramaxtuner.com offers tunes only for fully intact vehicles. Please correct me if im wrong.

My goal: I want to remove the EGR because running exhaust through my 25K mile engine seems like it would kill the engine sooner than if it were breathing regular air. I understand more DEF would be required, that's fine with me.

Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Any intact tune is for emissions intact parts and that’s it. If you unplugged the EGR or anything else, the truck would go into limp mode.

If you want delete tunes, of any nature, the only places left are shady weekend warriors (not advisable at all), MotorOps out of Canada (Duramax Tuners Canadian shell company) or Canadian Diesel Power (pretty sure that is GDE’s Canadian shell company). They both ship/ sell to US customers still and have delete tunes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greatly appreciate your reply, as it has confirmed what I felt what probably the answer.
MotorOps has me weary because of other postings I have read. I did not realize they are associated with Duramaxtuner (who i understand is also Calibrated Power?).

I have read various posting regarding Hackman- but nothing really recent...
I will look into Canadian Diesel Power. thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While searching for Canadian Diesel Power, I came across HD Diesel Supply, also out of Canada. I see they offer a "Intact Emisions" tune that cuts out the EGR.
Has anyone had any experience with HD Diesel Supply?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just looked at the website and they have both tunes intact and deleted. They use the EFI live software same as Duramax tuner. I have not ordered or delt with them. They say they will ship it anywhere in the US except cali.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was able to find another post, on another forum where a user indicated that he was the person to leave the 1 review (5 star) of the delete tune they offer at HD Diesel Supply. He of course deleted all systems off the truck. I am only interested in the Intact tune - which does turn off the EGR.

Looks like they also offer a trans tune, but I am not sure if i want to go that route seeing how other companies (with more reviews) have trans tunes that people seem to like. Does anyone know if there is an issue with running two separate companies tunes? One for the Engine and another's for the trans?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Any intact tune is for emissions intact parts and that’s it. If you unplugged the EGR or anything else, the truck would go into limp mode.
When a regen occurs, a stock truck closes the EGR valve and sprays more DEF. GDE's emissions intact tunes have always turned off EGR valve, and prior versions disabled the DEF system.

GDE's latest settings sprays DEF at the stock level of consumption. We customers asked for that from GDE, as otherwise the DEF has to be drained before it goes stale. I appreciate their work in that regard, as apparently making the DEF system work at the stock level of consumption with the EGR valve closed full time was a significant task. I don't know if any other intact tunes offer this.

I would rather just keep running the system, it is not like putting DEF in every 5K miles is a big hardship. While the tune does display an out of DEF message in the DIC when the level runs low, top speed is limited to 124 mph :LOL:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Greetings:
I am new to the forum, and have recently picked up a Black 2017 2.8 Canyon with 25K on meter - very excited.
I have been reading a ton about tuning options available, and how unfortunately options have become extremely limited for us in the US.

I have read various posts (most are pretty old) on this forum and another Colorado forum where people have "Emissions Intact" tunes and have also removed/blocked their EGR. This is exactly what im looking to do as DEF and DPF doesn't bother me, but pumping exhaust into my intake does.

My question:
Do the "Intact tunes" currently available allow for an EGR delete as part of the program? Could I simply buy a "Emissions Intact" from say Duramaxtuner or somewhere else (???) and simply unplug the EGR?

When I started this quest I was going to see what GDE could offer - but I see they don't offer anything anymore. From my understanding Duramaxtuner.com offers tunes only for fully intact vehicles. Please correct me if im wrong.

My goal: I want to remove the EGR because running exhaust through my 25K mile engine seems like it would kill the engine sooner than if it were breathing regular air. I understand more DEF would be required, that's fine with me.

Ppei offers emission compliant tunes as well.. I would say even blocking off the egr would go against the epa.. if I didn’t already have my truck deleted I would rather have everything up to code so I don’t have to worry about it

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not an electrical engineer but I wonder if there's a way to fool the computer into thinking that the EGR is working the way it's commanding. I don't know if there's a separate sensor that actually reads how much EGR is being recirculated back into the intake. I remember doing a similar mod on my 6.5 TD for the MAP sensor. Basically a resistor on the sensor wire so it read a percentage of the voltage. Basically the truck would be making 14 psi of boost while the sensor would be sending 7.5 psi to the ECU. Wonder if something similar could be done for the EGR where the ECU is commanding 100% open but in reality the EGR is only open 25%. Not perfect but gotta be better than wide open. I think the mod on my 6.5TD was like a $2 resistor at Radio Shack (when they were still open).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Not an electrical engineer but I wonder if there's a way to fool the computer into thinking that the EGR is working the way it's commanding. I don't know if there's a separate sensor that actually reads how much EGR is being recirculated back into the intake. I remember doing a similar mod on my 6.5 TD for the MAP sensor. Basically a resistor on the sensor wire so it read a percentage of the voltage. Basically the truck would be making 14 psi of boost while the sensor would be sending 7.5 psi to the ECU. Wonder if something similar could be done for the EGR where the ECU is commanding 100% open but in reality the EGR is only open 25%. Not perfect but gotta be better than wide open. I think the mod on my 6.5TD was like a $2 resistor at Radio Shack (when they were still open).

Back in the day, the "resistor mod" was popular. Now with DEF and NOx sensor, if the EGR was shut off and one managed to do it without causing a code and probably limp mode, the system would detect the high NOx level and the DEF spraying would go way high to compensate. Darn system is so integrated now. The only way around is to tune it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Greetings:

My question:

Well fyi i just found out that any reprogramming out of warranty is billable. Cost me $125 for the dealer to download a patch for a p1476 generic chk engine light issue. I called CHEVY to verify (and complain) that why should i pay for their software glitch. No real good answer lol. Truck is 2016 with 20k mostly 5000lb tow miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts