Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry this is a long post but I’m lost here and any help is appreciated. I’ve been searching google for a while now and this is my last resort, I got a 2016 Colorado duramax with 79,700 miles at the moment, and I got a CEL 2 weeks ago but truck was running fine. Checked codes and came back with P0269, which is cylinder 3 misbalance. So I figured it was fuel injector related. Well after running injector cleaner through it and clearing the code it came on the next day with the same code, and also p0263 Cylinder 1 misbalance. Took it to the dealer and they said fuel injector 3 needs to be replaced, they wouldn’t even look into if it was an electrical problem or a chaffing engine harness, they just said $900 for the new injector. On the way home from the dealer my stabilitrak service light and traction control light came on. I changed my fuel filters as they were pure black and the codes went away instantly upon restarting the truck. Well fast forward 300 miles, yesterday while driving P0263 came on, I cleared it, and about 50 miles later P0269 came on. It does have a weird idle when it’s cold but once it’s warm it idles fine. My question is if anyone has had similar problems or if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks for any help, and I posted this in the other forum so sorry if you see it there as well

·
Registered
270 Posts
The only thing I can think of I have a Banks I-dash gauge and it will tell you the injector balance between cylinders. It will display lets say cyl1oo%, cyl2 +1%, cyl3 -.03%, cyl4 +.5%. It kind of gives you and idea of the balance between the cylinders. I don't know if this would be of help or not but I tend to think it would help. I also don't know if you were to buy one of the $20 bluetooth adapters you can plug into your OBDii port and using torq or one of those programs would provide the same information cheaper.

·
Registered
355 Posts
This does sound like an injector issue.
Considering what can happen if the injector sticks open, I would get it replaced.
Thats a nice feature that the Banks iDash has.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This does sound like an injector issue.
Considering what can happen if the injector sticks open, I would get it replaced.
Thats a nice feature that the Banks iDash has.
Yeah that’s what I’m scared of, my only problem is that the 2 different injector codes are showing at different times, it just seems odd how replacing my fuel filters fixed the issue for a couple hundred miles. Could it possibly be fuel pump related? I should’ve put in the post that about 5 days before my issues started I got diesel at a small gas station in the middle of nowhere, which looking back on it was a very stupid decision on my part, could I have gotten dirty fuel/water in the fuel?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only thing I can think of I have a Banks I-dash gauge and it will tell you the injector balance between cylinders. It will display lets say cyl1oo%, cyl2 +1%, cyl3 -.03%, cyl4 +.5%. It kind of gives you and idea of the balance between the cylinders. I don't know if this would be of help or not but I tend to think it would help. I also don't know if you were to buy one of the $20 bluetooth adapters you can plug into your OBDii port and using torq or one of those programs would provide the same information cheaper.
I have thought about getting one, maybe I’ll see if a buddy has one I could borrow. I have a scanner from Amazon but it’s not the Bluetooth one. I wonder if a shop could run the same tests

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have thought about getting one, maybe I’ll see if a buddy has one I could borrow. I have a scanner from Amazon but it’s not the Bluetooth one. I wonder if a shop could run the same tests
There have been a few that got water in the fuel and the filter system caught it and gave them a DIC message. Makes me think it's not water.

The thing that's nice about the gauge its that you can watch it while driving around and get a feel for what's "normal".

I'm going to pull my trailer this coming weekend I will take a pic and post it so you can see how it shows up on the gauge. It lets you show up to 8 parameters on a page and it lets you set up to 5 pages. I also purchased the version that lets you put an mini SD card in the front of it. You can store up to 100 parameters at a rate of 10 time a second. You can then either replay the saved data on the gauge like your actually still live driving or just suck it into excel and plot graphs and so on. It's a pretty cool little gauge/ data recorder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There have been a few that got water in the fuel and the filter system caught it and gave them a DIC message. Makes me think it's not water.

The thing that's nice about the gauge its that you can watch it while driving around and get a feel for what's "normal".

I'm going to pull my trailer this coming weekend I will take a pic and post it so you can see how it shows up on the gauge. It lets you show up to 8 parameters on a page and it lets you set up to 5 pages. I also purchased the version that lets you put an mini SD card in the front of it. You can store up to 100 parameters at a rate of 10 time a second. You can then either replay the saved data on the gauge like your actually still live driving or just suck it into excel and plot graphs and so on. It's a pretty cool little gauge/ data recorder.
Well I think you just sold me on getting one now, that sounds pretty useful for the price of it. Not to mention they look pretty cool on the dash.

Does anyone know where I can find any info on the procedures for replacing injectors? I can’t find any write ups or videos, if you know of any that you could point me in the direction to it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yeah that’s what I’m scared of, my only problem is that the 2 different injector codes are showing at different times, it just seems odd how replacing my fuel filters fixed the issue for a couple hundred miles. Could it possibly be fuel pump related? I should’ve put in the post that about 5 days before my issues started I got diesel at a small gas station in the middle of nowhere, which looking back on it was a very stupid decision on my part, could I have gotten dirty fuel/water in the fuel?
Do you use a fuel additive?
water in the fuel does damage injectors
And I hope it’s not a fuel pump issue. That would be expensive. That is a very high pressure pump.
I was watching a video on a 6.6 GM and the guy had a gauge that showed a small imbalance in one of the injectors. He said it’s not uncommon to have this happen and he will keep an eye on it and replace that injector if it gets any worse.
I have what sounds like one piston that is knocking while under a load at higher RPMs 3000 plus
I have always wondered if I have an injector issue
I was looking at the the Launch unit and the I-Dac but man they are expensive...

Rob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you use a fuel additive?
water in the fuel does damage injectors
And I hope it’s not a fuel pump issue. That would be expensive. That is a very high pressure pump.
I was watching a video on a 6.6 GM and the guy had a gauge that showed a small imbalance in one of the injectors. He said it’s not uncommon to have this happen and he will keep an eye on it and replace that injector if it gets any worse.
I have what sounds like one piston that is knocking while under a load at higher RPMs 3000 plus
I have always wondered if I have an injector issue
I was looking at the the Launch unit and the I-Dac but man they are expensive...

Rob
I just started running Power Services additives after my check engine light was coming on. But before that I wasn’t running anything. I just drove my truck a bunch this afternoon and it idles fine with no CEL, so I’m really confused why my problem is on and off. Was your truck throwing any codes that made you think you might have a bad injector?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I just started running Power Services additives after my check engine light was coming on. But before that I wasn’t running anything. I just drove my truck a bunch this afternoon and it idles fine with no CEL, so I’m really confused why my problem is on and off. Was your truck throwing any codes that made you think you might have a bad injector?
No codes so far. At least none that I haven’t caused by doing experimenting...
Mine sounds like one cylinder is piston slapping. Starts at 2500 and gets louder as the rpm climbs while under load. Other than that it’s been an amazing truck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No codes so far. At least none that I haven’t caused by doing experimenting...
Mine sounds like one cylinder is piston slapping. Starts at 2500 and gets louder as the rpm climbs while under load. Other than that it’s been an amazing truck.
Now that part I would concur on a injector now. I would guess the injector is dropping more fuel than it should making the sound.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Well I think you just sold me on getting one now, that sounds pretty useful for the price of it. Not to mention they look pretty cool on the dash.

Does anyone know where I can find any info on the procedures for replacing injectors? I can’t find any write ups or videos, if you know of any that you could point me in the direction to it would be much appreciated.
Here is a PIC of page "3" of my gauge and the fields I have on it.

20210307_121207.jpg
[/QUOTE]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts