Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oh, I was thinking of the new motor going in, but you are getting rid of the truck anyway. If you have not seen it, this thread on the CO Fans board is worth your perusal.

https://www.coloradofans.com/threads/engine-failure-report.403987/

I feel the way you do. If my engine fails, I am fortunate to have the resources to buy the core, hire a lawyer, engineering firm for metallurgical analysis, and potentially get a class action going. I have personally seen about 20 failures from people online here, on the 2.8 Facebook Group and on COFans. The thing we don't seem to know is the problem still ongoing? I hope it was just a one time batch of piston pins that did not get heat treated. The thing that keeps me up at night is my truck is an early '17, which seems to be in the "window" for the bad batch. That is why I am so curious about the model years on the failed trucks. They seem to be 16s and 17s.

It really is interesting how GDE shut up at the end of the above linked thread, right as we were getting to the climax. To save you some time wading through all that, GDE did say this:

We have results. need to figure how to downsize the file. It did not show weakness in hardness vs. a new wrist pin. It did show significant change in metallurgy from the VM 2.8l wrist pin. GM changed something from what VM sold them. So far we know the piston and wrist pin are different from the VM engine and that seems to be where the failures have originated.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The right thing for GM to do would be to replace any engine on their dime that fails as a result of a failed wrist pin. That is such an unusual failure on any engine it seems they should acknowledge it was defective when installed. Even the most neglected engines don’t suffer wrist pin failures.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Dealer ordered a new long block. It is being installed now. Apparently GM authorized a new engine without even a complete tear down. The service manager said that they know the engine is locked and has internal damage so he’s not going to waste the hours even tearing it down further? So it doesn’t look like I’m going to find out what went wrong?
I’ve been on the horn with GM Senior Advisor’s. They gave me a case number and contact me daily with updates (Lip Service) mostly. They say once the truck is fixed then they will have answers for me regarding some type of restitution??

At this point I am ready to just move on and buy a Gas engine :( I’m about done with the modern diesels. Especially since Gas is .70 cents cheaper right now. Maybe they will give me a decent buyout # or some GM credit towards the purchase of a new one??

·
Registered
68 Posts
Once it is fixed, the dealer/GM will probably give you a favorable trade in as they love to sell new vehicles. Have seen a few people do that.

The failure sure seem to center on the small end wrist pins. This is just pure conjecture, but I wonder if the overworked underpaid ladies in the Taiwan plant where the 2.8 is built are randomly not seating some of the piston circlips in all the way into the groove in the piston. A popped clip would let the pin slide over and ride on the cylinder, with mayhem ensuing not too long afterwards. All this may just be due to an assembly error.

As Terryjm said above, wrist pins are not weak link parts that normally fail, even in grossly abused engines. The GDE report I referred to did not find a hardness difference in the failed pins either, meaning they were heat treated properly. The piston sets are manufactured by Mahle, who is a reputable producer. I am really starting to think assembly error now...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Update!! Was in fact a Wrist pin/ connecting rod failure! I don’t have pictures but he said the rod was twisted and pin was snapped like many others have stated has happened to their 2.8’s. GM will not admit it is a known problem tho, and the dealer says it’s the first he’s heard about it. No TSB’s or any knowledge of this being an ongoing problem 🙄 I knew it Was a known problem because of this forum. I told them to “look at the wrist pins, I hear they’re the weak link” the day I towed it in to the dealership...

So, 6 weeks in the shop now though. They finally got back ordered parts in and are suppose to have it done next week?? And GM still has not told me what type of compensation they have in mind?? We will see??

21 - 27 of 27 Posts