Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Oh, I was thinking of the new motor going in, but you are getting rid of the truck anyway. If you have not seen it, this thread on the CO Fans board is worth your perusal.

https://www.coloradofans.com/threads/engine-failure-report.403987/

I feel the way you do. If my engine fails, I am fortunate to have the resources to buy the core, hire a lawyer, engineering firm for metallurgical analysis, and potentially get a class action going. I have personally seen about 20 failures from people online here, on the 2.8 Facebook Group and on COFans. The thing we don't seem to know is the problem still ongoing? I hope it was just a one time batch of piston pins that did not get heat treated. The thing that keeps me up at night is my truck is an early '17, which seems to be in the "window" for the bad batch. That is why I am so curious about the model years on the failed trucks. They seem to be 16s and 17s.

It really is interesting how GDE shut up at the end of the above linked thread, right as we were getting to the climax. To save you some time wading through all that, GDE did say this:

We have results. need to figure how to downsize the file. It did not show weakness in hardness vs. a new wrist pin. It did show significant change in metallurgy from the VM 2.8l wrist pin. GM changed something from what VM sold them. So far we know the piston and wrist pin are different from the VM engine and that seems to be where the failures have originated.

Reactions: TRON

·
Registered
221 Posts
The right thing for GM to do would be to replace any engine on their dime that fails as a result of a failed wrist pin. That is such an unusual failure on any engine it seems they should acknowledge it was defective when installed. Even the most neglected engines don’t suffer wrist pin failures.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Dealer ordered a new long block. It is being installed now. Apparently GM authorized a new engine without even a complete tear down. The service manager said that they know the engine is locked and has internal damage so he’s not going to waste the hours even tearing it down further? So it doesn’t look like I’m going to find out what went wrong?
I’ve been on the horn with GM Senior Advisor’s. They gave me a case number and contact me daily with updates (Lip Service) mostly. They say once the truck is fixed then they will have answers for me regarding some type of restitution??

At this point I am ready to just move on and buy a Gas engine :( I’m about done with the modern diesels. Especially since Gas is .70 cents cheaper right now. Maybe they will give me a decent buyout # or some GM credit towards the purchase of a new one??

·
Registered
179 Posts
Once it is fixed, the dealer/GM will probably give you a favorable trade in as they love to sell new vehicles. Have seen a few people do that.

The failure sure seem to center on the small end wrist pins. This is just pure conjecture, but I wonder if the overworked underpaid ladies in the Taiwan plant where the 2.8 is built are randomly not seating some of the piston circlips in all the way into the groove in the piston. A popped clip would let the pin slide over and ride on the cylinder, with mayhem ensuing not too long afterwards. All this may just be due to an assembly error.

As Terryjm said above, wrist pins are not weak link parts that normally fail, even in grossly abused engines. The GDE report I referred to did not find a hardness difference in the failed pins either, meaning they were heat treated properly. The piston sets are manufactured by Mahle, who is a reputable producer. I am really starting to think assembly error now...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Update!! Was in fact a Wrist pin/ connecting rod failure! I don’t have pictures but he said the rod was twisted and pin was snapped like many others have stated has happened to their 2.8’s. GM will not admit it is a known problem tho, and the dealer says it’s the first he’s heard about it. No TSB’s or any knowledge of this being an ongoing problem ? I knew it Was a known problem because of this forum. I told them to “look at the wrist pins, I hear they’re the weak link” the day I towed it in to the dealership...

So, 6 weeks in the shop now though. They finally got back ordered parts in and are suppose to have it done next week?? And GM still has not told me what type of compensation they have in mind?? We will see??

·
Registered
5 Posts
2016 duramax 44k miles stock, light towing, mostly highway. Engine went catastrophic. GM replaced with a new crate engine. No added warranty. only option now for me is to trade in wile engine is new

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2017 2.8 Duramax diesel that just blew an engine. It has high kilometres on it as I use the truck for work. I’ve done all the regular maintenance and more in the vehicle and a few days ago... I was driving in the highway... heard a loud clanking as I accelerated past a transport... then a bang. I coasted over to the side of the road and stopped. All the oil from the vehicle drained out and created a mess under the vehicle. I had it towed to a chev dealership close by. They informed me that I had blown a piston through the block. No lights. No warnings! $16500 was quoted to replace the engine on my 3 year old truck with no warranty left due to the mileage. Not very happy with GM atm. 😕

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2017 2.8 Duramax diesel that just blew an engine. It has high kilometres on it as I use the truck for work. I’ve done all the regular maintenance and more in the vehicle and a few days ago... I was driving in the highway... heard a loud clanking as I accelerated past a transport... then a bang. I coasted over to the side of the road and stopped. All the oil from the vehicle drained out and created a mess under the vehicle. I had it towed to a chev dealership close by. They informed me that I had blown a piston through the block. No lights. No warnings! $16500 was quoted to replace the engine on my 3 year old truck with no warranty left due to the mileage. Not very happy with GM atm. 😕
Just had the exact same scenario happen to me today on my 2017 Colorado. Everything was going great heading up the mountain and as I crested the top and let off on the fuel she started shaking and sputtering. I was able to get it off the highway and turn her off. Looked under the truck and saw oil pouring out around the back of the motor. Im guessing an injector blew a piston and then the main seal went. No loud bang and the engine was still running but very rough. Had it towed 180kms into the local dealer and will have them look at it even though Im sure like in your case the motor is toast. The truck has 190,000 kms (119,000 Miles) and was running with GDE trans and engine tune. I can't see paying 15K for a new motor so will likely cut my losses and never look at a GM diesel again. Time for a gasser that may last more than 3 years. The rest of the truck is near mint so I am sad to have to sell her as parts now. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just had the exact same scenario happen to me today on my 2017 Colorado. Everything was going great heading up the mountain and as I crested the top and let off on the fuel she started shaking and sputtering. I was able to get it off the highway and turn her off. Looked under the truck and saw oil pouring out around the back of the motor. Im guessing an injector blew a piston and then the main seal went. No loud bang and the engine was still running but very rough. Had it towed 180kms into the local dealer and will have them look at it even though Im sure like in your case the motor is toast. The truck has 190,000 kms (119,000 Miles) and was running with GDE trans and engine tune. I can't see paying 15K for a new motor so will likely cut my losses and never look at a GM diesel again. Time for a gasser that may last more than 3 years. The rest of the truck is near mint so I am sad to have to sell her as parts now. :(
[/QUOTE
Sorry to hear! Since my first post... I’ve had the engine replaced. I’ve had no choice as I still owe money on the truck. A new engine through GM would have cost me $20000 (taxes in) but I found one through an local auto wrecking yard. They found one from New York with approximately 25000 miles on it and they installed it. I did a car fax report on the VIN to confirm the mileage. The truck is back on the road... but it cost me $13500 to get it there. I’m hoping this newer engine will last me until the truck is paid at which point... I will sell it for whatever I can get and start again with a different make. I will never buy a GM again! I wish you the best of luck that it something repairable on your engine... and that it’s not a total loss! 😕

·
Registered
221 Posts
If it happened to me I would source a used low mileage later engine. It’s a lot less costly than new. You will take a lot less of a beating on resale than letting it go with a bad engone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wish we had a law like that up here in Canada. All I can say is the 'Baby-max' is definitely not durable like a full side Duramax. Thank god I wasn't towing when she blew up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update!! Was in fact a Wrist pin/ connecting rod failure! I don’t have pictures but he said the rod was twisted and pin was snapped like many others have stated has happened to their 2.8’s. GM will not admit it is a known problem tho, and the dealer says it’s the first he’s heard about it. No TSB’s or any knowledge of this being an ongoing problem ? I knew it Was a known problem because of this forum. I told them to “look at the wrist pins, I hear they’re the weak link” the day I towed it in to the dealership...

So, 6 weeks in the shop now though. They finally got back ordered parts in and are suppose to have it done next week?? And GM still has not told me what type of compensation they have in mind?? We will see??
Anyone hear of any class action lawsuits happening with regards to these failures to actually hold GM accountable? I’m considering starting one if there isn’t currently one! I’m not giving up on the big guy (GM) taking advantage of the little guy and not coming clean or admitting there’s a problem!

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
Anyone hear of any class action lawsuits happening with regards to these failures to actually hold GM accountable? I’m considering starting one if there isn’t currently one! I’m not giving up on the big guy (GM) taking advantage of the little guy and not coming clean or admitting there’s a problem!
Get plenty of pics of the failures and if possible send the failed parts out to a independent lab to be analyzed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just lost my motor too.
133,000 km, 81,000 miles.
GDE TUNE. Pulling a long hill, whistling sound, loss of power, oil leaking from rear of engine.
mains, con rod bearings good. Aluminium in pan.
***** is getting a piston, injectors and adios.

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
Hate to hear of failures like this. There is really no excuse with modern alloys and engineering. Penny pinching corporate ninnies strike again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just lost my motor too.
133,000 km, 81,000 miles.
GDE TUNE. Pulling a long hill, whistling sound, loss of power, oil leaking from rear of engine.
mains, con rod bearings good. Aluminium in pan.
* is getting a piston, injectors and adios.
Sorry to hear you are joining our ranks. The symptoms are all the same. Going up a hill, not pulling hard at all and then BLAM. Rough idle and all the oil blown out the rear seal. I can't se the GDE tune causing a failure like this since they stay within the redlines for these motors. I got prices from 4 different shops to replace the engine in mine and all came in around 15-16K CDN. The trucks are too new to write off and if you had a tune of any kind then GM will just blame that and take no responsibility. I've seen 20 to 25 motors blown the same way in reading through the forums. SOMETHING is definitely going on and I think it will get worse as more trucks age. It would be nice if GM would chime in on the analysis of the failures. I think it may take a class action law suit before anything happens for us.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to hear you are joining our ranks. The symptoms are all the same. Going up a hill, not pulling hard at all and then BLAM. Rough idle and all the oil blown out the rear seal. I can't se the GDE tune causing a failure like this since they stay within the redlines for these motors. I got prices from 4 different shops to replace the engine in mine and all came in around 15-16K CDN. The trucks are too new to write off and if you had a tune of any kind then GM will just blame that and take no responsibility. I've seen 20 to 25 motors blown the same way in reading through the forums. SOMETHING is definitely going on and I think it will get worse as more trucks age. It would be nice if GM would chime in on the analysis of the failures. I think it may take a class action law suit before anything happens for us.
I agree! I think the more we all talk about a class action suit... and take action... is the only time that GM might get involved and do the right thing! Wishful thinking I know.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts