Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Engine failure at 63k miles. 2017 Colorado ZR2 duramax 2.8L. Under warranty but I had it tuned. Will the tune come back to haunt me? Dealership is ball parking a new engine at $10k!!
Thinking about switching to a gas version but I hear the trannies are awful.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Did you put the factory tune back in it prior to the dealer getting their hands on it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you put the factory tune back in it prior to the dealer getting their hands on it?
Wasn’t able to since it failed out of state on a road trip (1 day after picking up my gofast camper lol). Aren’t all the cpu flashes saved so they can tell it was tuned either way?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Engine failure at 63k miles. 2017 Colorado ZR2 duramax 2.8L. Under warranty but I had it tuned. Will the tune come back to haunt me? Dealership is ball parking a new engine at $10k!!
Thinking about switching to a gas version but I hear the trannies are awful.
Buy a low mileage used engine. Car-part.com

Last time I checkEd you could even buy brand new ones for $4000 -$5000 from a place near or in Detroit.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Wasn’t able to since it failed out of state on a road trip (1 day after picking up my gofast camper lol). Aren’t all the cpu flashes saved so they can tell it was tuned either way?
no not all, after year 18 that started.

·
Registered
15 Posts
no not all, after year 18 that started.
Is that accurate? I thought they all had a flash count to them. Heck my wife's 2013 ATS stores the flash count.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Is that accurate? I thought they all had a flash count to them. Heck my wife's 2013 ATS stores the flash count.
15,16,17 they didn't count them. In model year 18 they made a change to the ECM that required a new "locking code" to access the ECM for tuning and that's when they started adding the counter...

·
Registered
15 Posts
15,16,17 they didn't count them. In model year 18 they made a change to the ECM that required a new "locking code" to access the ECM for tuning and that's when they started adding the counter...
I still think you're wrong. According to the service bulletin 16-NA-325 which applies to 2016+ vehicles, the calibration history is present and logged. The example calibration history is from a 2016...

Yes the 2019's needed a locking code in order to be tuned, but that is totally separate from a flash log.

·
Registered
247 Posts
My 18 needed an unlock code and there have plenty of guys with pre-18 who reverted to factory for ECM work and GM never complained at them. Take that for what it's worth.

·
Registered
15 Posts
But the engine failures on previously tuned 2.8s were denied because of improper calibration histories.

·
Registered
1 Posts
More bad news... just threw a rod in mine after getting off the interstate from a 250ml trip. 2016 Canyon SLT 4WD 73k duramax 2.8L. Fully stock, no tune. Dealership wants 21k to replace engine. GM at this time is offering 30% making it 15k. I loved mine, but now not sure what I want to do at this point. Hoping a class action suit could be started.

·
Registered
247 Posts
More bad news... just threw a rod in mine after getting off the interstate from a 250ml trip. 2016 Canyon SLT 4WD 73k duramax 2.8L. Fully stock, no tune. Dealership wants 21k to replace engine. GM at this time is offering 30% making it 15k. I loved mine, but now not sure what I want to do at this point. Hoping a class action suit could be started.
That sucks.....

·
Registered
342 Posts
This really sucks.
And why I keep saying don’t use the engine brake when towing. It drives the rpm to high.
And it’s obvious this engine is not built to spin to 5k
always change the oil early. The soot load in the oil is absolutely terrible. And I don’t care what your oil analysis says. Most of them are BS.
I tow very heavy at times. I put the truck in manual mode set at 5th. This turns off the engine brake.
I do not use Dexos 2 oil. I do change my oil every 3 to 4 k miles.
I also use a fuel additive at every fill up.
Be carful with tunes as I believe adding more torque or HP to these engines is a bad idea.
Also these trucks definitely need a trans tune but not to force the engine to lug more than they already do. Lugging a 4 banger will really put a pounding on the wrist pins, rods and especially the rod ends and the crank. Not a good idea.
I spent many thousands of miles pulling heavy up long steep hills with my foot planted hard on the floor. Reading these posts I can’t believe mine is still going. But it only has 40k miles on it.
it’s obvious that GM took a good good motor and while making it worthy of the Duramax name add lots of inferior parts to save a buck. Probably gave Mary a big bonus too.

I bet GM knew there was going to be problems with these 2.8s and that’s why they gave up the factory and discontinued the option.
ps
I been babying my truck to see just how good the mileage can be..... 38-39 mpg
Not driving slow. I drive 10 over. The only difference in my driving is not hammering it off the line.
I been using cruise control as much as possible.
Yes that is correct 38 to 39mpg Canadian gallon or 7.0 -7.3 litres per 100km
absolutely amazing fuel economy.....
4 Rangers in a row and the best I ever got was 24mpg. But the average was 20mpg
Gas just doesn’t cut it......

·
Registered
342 Posts
Here is how GM works....
Class action lawsuit over oil burning 5.3 v8"...........

GM successfully argued that its express warranty only applies to defects in materials and workmanship. The oil consumption issue in the 5.3L LC9 V8 engines, which was been widely documented, is related to a design defect, so it’s not covered by warranty.

There design defects are not covered by warranty
WTF
And the idiot judge went along with it.

Picture this....
Your a judge
you know this issue is well documented
But you go with GM warranty doesn’t cover (GM design defect)
When a company can get away with producing products with a design defect then the warranty is useless.
And the consumer is protected by idiot judges.

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
I had a 2015 GMC Sierra SLT in 2018 with rust starting to bubble on the bumper. I was told when I called GM to complain, that the bumper to bumper warranty did not include bumpers.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I had a 2015 GMC Sierra SLT in 2018 with rust starting to bubble on the bumper. I was told when I called GM to complain, that the bumper to bumper warranty did not include bumpers.
This is getting totally out of control.

And I was thinking about these wrist pin failures ..... Is this a design defect ? They designed a weak part. To bad so sad.
I was a total GM fan boy when I was young. Until I was burnt by 3 vehicles in a row.

What if an injector was starting to fail, or was leaking.
This would cause fuel to be in the cylinder as the piston was on the compression stroke.
That fuel would ignite as the piston was rising and cause damage.
In a case like this usually the connecting rod would bend. And in really bad cases eventually break the crank. But what if the piston actually broke where the wrist pin is supported by the piston.
This would cause a lot of damage to the wrist pin as it would only be supported on one side.

Years ago I took an engine apart that had hydraulic locked. Too much fuel entered the cylinder and stopped the piston dead in its tracks. There was no damage to the piston or the wrist pin. But it bent the con rod big time.
In all the engines that I have had apart I have never seen a damaged wrist pin.

I was working on a twin cylinder snowmobile engine that had massive rust in the cylinders.
I had to take a block of hard wood and a sledgehammer and pound the pistons until it finally started to move. I was beating on the pistons with everything I had. And there was no damage to the wrist pins.

So these pins must be really soft.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
This misfortune answers my initial questions when I first bought my ‘16 2.8L Colorado: Which was going to be more durable and trouble free, the engine or the DPF emissions system.

Does anyone think using a 5W40 (Rotella or Delvac) will provide more engine failure protection - at the expense of fuel mileage?

·
Registered
342 Posts
This misfortune answers my initial questions when I first bought my ‘16 2.8L Colorado: Which was going to be more durable and trouble free, the engine or the DPF emissions system.

Does anyone think using a 5W40 (Rotella or Delvac) will provide more engine failure protection - at the expense of fuel mileage?
I don’t see fuel mileage being any issue with Rotell a or Delvac. The issue will be a plugged up DPF
if the new 3.0L can run on water thin 0-20 and survive then our trucks running on 5-30 or 5-40 should be better off.
I run Amsoil 5-30 full saps, signature series diesel oil. I am not deleted. But I vent to atmosphere. I don’t want any of the oil mist to make it to the DPF.
I also think these trucks soot up the oil really badly. So I change the oil every 3-4K
I also run Hot Shots secret at every fill up.
Todays oil life monitors are not setup to be good to the motor but better for your wallet and the environment at the expense of engine life.
Time will tell if i am wasting my money or not.
I have owned a lot of vehicles over the years and none of them have lived up to the fuel mileage hype.
Until this Colorado
This truck is very impressive. It’s the best vehicle I have owned so far. Spooky with all these issues on the forums for sure.
when you consider how small a 2.8L engine is, impressive is an understatement....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don’t see fuel mileage being any issue with Rotell a or Delvac. The issue will be a plugged up DPF
if the new 3.0L can run on water thin 0-20 and survive then our trucks running on 5-30 or 5-40 should be better off.
I run Amsoil 5-30 full saps, signature series diesel oil. I am not deleted. But I vent to atmosphere. I don’t want any of the oil mist to make it to the DPF.
I also think these trucks soot up the oil really badly. So I change the oil every 3-4K
I also run Hot Shots secret at every fill up.
Todays oil life monitors are not setup to be good to the motor but better for your wallet and the environment at the expense of engine life.
Time will tell if i am wasting my money or not.
I have owned a lot of vehicles over the years and none of them have lived up to the fuel mileage hype.
Until this Colorado
This truck is very impressive. It’s the best vehicle I have owned so far. Spooky with all these issues on the forums for sure.
when you consider how small a 2.8L engine is, impressive is an understatement....

That is good information, HOWEVER:

1) With all the various Diesel engine oils owners have used in this engine, have you EVER heard of
a plugged DPF in these trucks?

2) It seems to me, there is more “headroom for error“ before the DPF plugs up (while using a
traditional 5W40 oil), than there is before a rod is thrown, or piston failure - while using the
dealer issued 5W30 Dexos2 oil. Either way, the fix is gonna cost big bucks, because chances
are, the owner is going to be out of warranty. So pick your poison.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That is good information, HOWEVER:

1) With all the various Diesel engine oils owners have used in this engine, have you EVER heard of
a plugged DPF in these trucks?
I've heard of a couple of DPF failures, mine is on its way out at 40k as well (and can't fail soon enough IMHO). Just using Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30...

41 - 60 of 70 Posts