Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
I don’t see fuel mileage being any issue with Rotell a or Delvac. The issue will be a plugged up DPF
if the new 3.0L can run on water thin 0-20 and survive then our trucks running on 5-30 or 5-40 should be better off.
I run Amsoil 5-30 full saps, signature series diesel oil. I am not deleted. But I vent to atmosphere. I don’t want any of the oil mist to make it to the DPF.
I also think these trucks soot up the oil really badly. So I change the oil every 3-4K
I also run Hot Shots secret at every fill up.
Todays oil life monitors are not setup to be good to the motor but better for your wallet and the environment at the expense of engine life.
Time will tell if i am wasting my money or not.
I have owned a lot of vehicles over the years and none of them have lived up to the fuel mileage hype.
Until this Colorado
This truck is very impressive. It’s the best vehicle I have owned so far. Spooky with all these issues on the forums for sure.
when you consider how small a 2.8L engine is, impressive is an understatement....
I liked mine but the interior space and materials kind of grew to be annoying and I never got the killer milage some do. The DPF system probably hobbled an otherwise decent little truck. Now the EPA is cracking the whip on mods to add insult to injury. In addition, the future of 2.8 is up in the air last I heard. Edit: The 2.8L Duramax engine will be produced at the GM Flint Engine plant in Flint, Michigan, USA. per GM Authority.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I liked mine but the interior space and materials kind of grew to be annoying and I never got the killer milage some do. The DPF system probably hobbled an otherwise decent little truck. Now the EPA is cracking the whip on mods to add insult to injury. In addition, the future of 2.8 is up in the air last I heard. Edit: The 2.8L Duramax engine will be produced at the GM Flint Engine plant in Flint, Michigan, USA. per GM Authority.
I never seen that the engine would be produced State side.
It wouldn’t make any sense as the engine has been discontinued
Crazy thing is there is a lot of people out there with the 2.8 in the van and they love it.
I believe GM has a bunch of 2.8 crate engines and if there is any left at the end of 2022 they will be sold as complete crate engines or parted out.
In 2023 no GM vehicle will be available with a 2.8

·
Registered
342 Posts
The other thing I don’t understand is GM built the 3.0 diesel and is installing it in the 1500 pickups and in the other full sized SUVs (Tahoe) ect...
Its like if you dont want a full sized over priced money maker, GM isn’t interested in producing a mid sized diesel. A vehicle that gets extreme fuel mileage.....
Now that Ford has kicked GMs asss again with there 39,000.00 electric F150 that is quicker than a Raptor and can tow 10,000 lbs. I can see GM dumping the 3.0 diesel and trying to catch up to Ford.
GM comes out with a 120,000.00 electric truck that few can afford and Ford comes out with one for 39,000.00 ?.
GM get your head out of your ass and DUMP Mary

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
The other thing I don’t understand is GM built the 3.0 diesel and is installing it in the 1500 pickups and in the other full sized SUVs (Tahoe) ect...
Its like if you dont want a full sized over priced money maker, GM isn’t interested in producing a mid sized diesel. A vehicle that gets extreme fuel mileage.....
Now that Ford has kicked GMs asss again with there 39,000.00 electric F150 that is quicker than a Raptor and can tow 10,000 lbs. I can see GM dumping the 3.0 diesel and trying to catch up to Ford.
GM comes out with a 120,000.00 electric truck that few can afford and Ford comes out with one for 39,000.00 ?.
GM get your head out of your ass and DUMP Mary
Try buying that $39,000 EF-150 once, betting it's bare bones special order only.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Update to engine failure
the 5.3 with the second gen cyl deactivation is still failing
Many unhappy customers

·
Registered
1 Posts
I never seen that the engine would be produced State side.
It wouldn’t make any sense as the engine has been discontinued
Crazy thing is there is a lot of people out there with the 2.8 in the van and they love it.
I believe GM has a bunch of 2.8 crate engines and if there is any left at the end of 2022 they will be sold as complete crate engines or parted out.
In 2023 no GM vehicle will be available with a 2.8
Isn't the DoD contract producing the ifv a 2.8 powerplant?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've heard of a couple of DPF failures, mine is on its way out at 40k as well (and can't fail soon enough IMHO). Just using Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30...
Running T6 5/40 here and a GDE intact tune which turns off EGR for the last 42K miles. Also running a Provent 200 catch can since the truck was new. The DPF only regenerates every 711 miles with EGR turned off. Clearly, T6 is not plugging the DPF.

I suspect the primary reason some DPFs have problems is due to all the extra soot from the aggressive use of EGR to cool combustion in order to make EPA targets for NOx emissions without drinking DEF at an unacceptable rate. Best thing one can do, aside from turning off EGR, is to run a catch can and not short trip the truck on a cold engine too much.

Reactions: SFLTruck

·
Registered
15 Posts
45 miles was my last regen...

61 - 70 of 70 Posts