Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
I don’t see fuel mileage being any issue with Rotell a or Delvac. The issue will be a plugged up DPF
if the new 3.0L can run on water thin 0-20 and survive then our trucks running on 5-30 or 5-40 should be better off.
I run Amsoil 5-30 full saps, signature series diesel oil. I am not deleted. But I vent to atmosphere. I don’t want any of the oil mist to make it to the DPF.
I also think these trucks soot up the oil really badly. So I change the oil every 3-4K
I also run Hot Shots secret at every fill up.
Todays oil life monitors are not setup to be good to the motor but better for your wallet and the environment at the expense of engine life.
Time will tell if i am wasting my money or not.
I have owned a lot of vehicles over the years and none of them have lived up to the fuel mileage hype.
Until this Colorado
This truck is very impressive. It’s the best vehicle I have owned so far. Spooky with all these issues on the forums for sure.
when you consider how small a 2.8L engine is, impressive is an understatement....
I liked mine but the interior space and materials kind of grew to be annoying and I never got the killer milage some do. The DPF system probably hobbled an otherwise decent little truck. Now the EPA is cracking the whip on mods to add insult to injury. In addition, the future of 2.8 is up in the air last I heard. Edit: The 2.8L Duramax engine will be produced at the GM Flint Engine plant in Flint, Michigan, USA. per GM Authority.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I liked mine but the interior space and materials kind of grew to be annoying and I never got the killer milage some do. The DPF system probably hobbled an otherwise decent little truck. Now the EPA is cracking the whip on mods to add insult to injury. In addition, the future of 2.8 is up in the air last I heard. Edit: The 2.8L Duramax engine will be produced at the GM Flint Engine plant in Flint, Michigan, USA. per GM Authority.
I never seen that the engine would be produced State side.
It wouldn’t make any sense as the engine has been discontinued
Crazy thing is there is a lot of people out there with the 2.8 in the van and they love it.
I believe GM has a bunch of 2.8 crate engines and if there is any left at the end of 2022 they will be sold as complete crate engines or parted out.
In 2023 no GM vehicle will be available with a 2.8

·
Registered
485 Posts
The other thing I don’t understand is GM built the 3.0 diesel and is installing it in the 1500 pickups and in the other full sized SUVs (Tahoe) ect...
Its like if you dont want a full sized over priced money maker, GM isn’t interested in producing a mid sized diesel. A vehicle that gets extreme fuel mileage.....
Now that Ford has kicked GMs asss again with there 39,000.00 electric F150 that is quicker than a Raptor and can tow 10,000 lbs. I can see GM dumping the 3.0 diesel and trying to catch up to Ford.
GM comes out with a 120,000.00 electric truck that few can afford and Ford comes out with one for 39,000.00 ?.
GM get your head out of your ass and DUMP Mary

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
GM has a Defense Department contract to fulfill.

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
The other thing I don’t understand is GM built the 3.0 diesel and is installing it in the 1500 pickups and in the other full sized SUVs (Tahoe) ect...
Its like if you dont want a full sized over priced money maker, GM isn’t interested in producing a mid sized diesel. A vehicle that gets extreme fuel mileage.....
Now that Ford has kicked GMs asss again with there 39,000.00 electric F150 that is quicker than a Raptor and can tow 10,000 lbs. I can see GM dumping the 3.0 diesel and trying to catch up to Ford.
GM comes out with a 120,000.00 electric truck that few can afford and Ford comes out with one for 39,000.00 ?.
GM get your head out of your ass and DUMP Mary
Try buying that $39,000 EF-150 once, betting it's bare bones special order only.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I never seen that the engine would be produced State side.
It wouldn’t make any sense as the engine has been discontinued
Crazy thing is there is a lot of people out there with the 2.8 in the van and they love it.
I believe GM has a bunch of 2.8 crate engines and if there is any left at the end of 2022 they will be sold as complete crate engines or parted out.
In 2023 no GM vehicle will be available with a 2.8
Isn't the DoD contract producing the ifv a 2.8 powerplant?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've heard of a couple of DPF failures, mine is on its way out at 40k as well (and can't fail soon enough IMHO). Just using Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30...
Running T6 5/40 here and a GDE intact tune which turns off EGR for the last 42K miles. Also running a Provent 200 catch can since the truck was new. The DPF only regenerates every 711 miles with EGR turned off. Clearly, T6 is not plugging the DPF.

I suspect the primary reason some DPFs have problems is due to all the extra soot from the aggressive use of EGR to cool combustion in order to make EPA targets for NOx emissions without drinking DEF at an unacceptable rate. Best thing one can do, aside from turning off EGR, is to run a catch can and not short trip the truck on a cold engine too much.

Reactions: SFLTruck

·
Registered
33 Posts
45 miles was my last regen...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, Bad news. My engines blown at 40k miles. 2.8 duramax, stock, no mods. Had it towed to a nearby dealership. The service manager has determined to just replace the engine rather than further diagnosing and repair. It’s been in the shop for a week and the engine isn’t even ordered yet?
My question is. Now what? What are my options? I’ve contacted GM and requested to have a senior advisor contact me and discuss options. What have others with blown engines done/ requested/received??

Extended powertrain warranty? 100k?
Buyout? If so how much?
Traded in? Trade up?
Engine replacement then sell outright?
Legal help- Lemon law enforcement? Lemon law attorney?
Refund of total vehicle cost new?

I’m worried about these 2.8’s. I’ve heard of many issues from this forum over the years. I’m a fleet Mechanic 15+ years. So I see first hand how many issues the new diesels have with all of the new emissions add ons and ULSD. Getting kind of tired of all the problems with the new diesels and the extra cost at the pump? Might want to switch to gas??

Any info would be appreciated thanks.
Hello, Bad news. My engines blown at 40k miles. 2.8 duramax, stock, no mods. Had it towed to a nearby dealership. The service manager has determined to just replace the engine rather than further diagnosing and repair. It’s been in the shop for a week and the engine isn’t even ordered yet?
My question is. Now what? What are my options? I’ve contacted GM and requested to have a senior advisor contact me and discuss options. What have others with blown engines done/ requested/received??

Extended powertrain warranty? 100k?
Buyout? If so how much?
Traded in? Trade up?
Engine replacement then sell outright?
Legal help- Lemon law enforcement? Lemon law attorney?
Refund of total vehicle cost new?

I’m worried about these 2.8’s. I’ve heard of many issues from this forum over the years. I’m a fleet Mechanic 15+ years. So I see first hand how many issues the new diesels have with all of the new emissions add ons and ULSD. Getting kind of tired of all the problems with the new diesels and the extra cost at the pump? Might want to switch to gas??

Any info would be appreciated thanks.
Most of the catastrophic failures involve a fragged piston. The cause of this is a little unclear. We do know that GM changed piston set providers from Federal Mogul (in the old VM 2.8s, which did not have piston issues of note) to Mahle. It is thought that there is a quality control issue with some of the mahle pistons. It would be good to know what year your truck is - if it is '18 or later, that is super concerning, as it would indicate the issue is ongoing. Most of the failures I have seen online (about 20 of them, out of hundreds of trucks that did not fail) were in '16 and '17 models. I know all this as the tuner of my truck did a tear down on a failed '16 and metallurgical analysis on the piston. We were all excited to see the engineer's report, and then the tuner went silent - I suspect that GM told them to STFU. They are power train engineers and GM is a customer of theirs I believe.

Another possibility is that an injector stuck open, which turns it into a blowtorch that holes the piston, causing it to frag. It is a little hard to tell after the fact if the piston was bad or the injector was bad - and GM is not terribly forthcoming about all this either.

We can run lubricity improving additives in the fuel (I like Optilube products) change the fuel filters early to pamper the pump and injectors, and I run T6 oil, as I believe 5/30 is a little thin for a diesel motor, and that spec is GM chasing an incremental gain in fuel economy. It is worth pointing out that the earlier VM 2.8s specified 15/40 conventional oil, some models 5/40 synthetic. None ever specified 5/30. The motor has changed since then, but not the basic stuff like crank and rods.

If I were you, I would get the new engine and trade it in or sell it. Have heard of people having problems with the new engines as they reuse the old turbo, and (just theory on my part) the turbos have gone out due to metal in the oil left behind. Dealers hate major warranty work like this, and some do a really half ass job of it. Whether or not I kept the truck would depend greatly on the faith I have in the dealer. Even if covered by warranty, as you know all too well, when an engine catastrophically fails out of the blue, it is always a major PITA.

As an owner with a tuned truck, I am nervous about this. It runs great, EGR is off, which is awesome, no problems of any kind to date, but if it blows, I am screwed, up Sh%t Creek without a warranty. It is a conundrum. Most trucks don't fail, but if yours does, it is 100% suck. It really is a bit like playing Russian Roulette with these things. I don't want to dump a truck that is mostly likely fine and working great, but man, if it blows, that is a financial hit. To date I choose to take the risk. I ride motorcycles, go too fast sometimes on them, I guess that is just who I am - haha...

Do report back and let us know what they find regarding the cause of failure if you can.
I threw the piston right out the bottom of my 2017 ZR2....57600 miles. Hit the starter, damaged the injectors, and contaminated the turbo. Full replacement for motor and damaged parts with 3/36k warranty from the dealer

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
I threw the piston right out the bottom of my 2017 ZR2....57600 miles. Hit the starter, damaged the injectors, and contaminated the turbo. Full replacement for motor and damaged parts with 3/36k warranty from the dealer
I'm guessing stock tune? Any other specifics about it? I absolutely love my ZR2, but dunno if I'll keep it around after the warranty expires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm guessing stock tune? Any other specifics about it? I absolutely love my ZR2, but dunno if I'll keep it around after the warranty expires.
Yeah, stock tune...BUT, keep in mind....from what I have read, this problem was somewhat limited to the 2016/2017 models. I absolutely Love the truck... like a quad in the snow... great for road trips. I'm confident this one will last.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2016 with 82000 and blew the engine within 2 months of having it. The previous owner let it go to auction and the dealership i bought it from didnt know jack about it. I found out it was tuned and deleted, but the injector stuck open and burned a whole in the piston. So now onto rebuilding the engine. Hopefully it doesnt happen again.....

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have a 2016 with 82000 and blew the engine within 2 months of having it. The previous owner let it go to auction and the dealership i bought it from didnt know jack about it. I found out it was tuned and deleted, but the injector stuck open and burned a whole in the piston. So now onto rebuilding the engine. Hopefully it doesnt happen again.....
Can you please let us know how much it ends up costing if you can.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Most of the catastrophic failures involve a fragged piston. The cause of this is a little unclear. We do know that GM changed piston set providers from Federal Mogul (in the old VM 2.8s, which did not have piston issues of note) to Mahle. It is thought that there is a quality control issue with some of the mahle pistons. It would be good to know what year your truck is - if it is '18 or later, that is super concerning, as it would indicate the issue is ongoing. Most of the failures I have seen online (about 20 of them, out of hundreds of trucks that did not fail) were in '16 and '17 models. I know all this as the tuner of my truck did a tear down on a failed '16 and metallurgical analysis on the piston. We were all excited to see the engineer's report, and then the tuner went silent - I suspect that GM told them to STFU. They are power train engineers and GM is a customer of theirs I believe.

Another possibility is that an injector stuck open, which turns it into a blowtorch that holes the piston, causing it to frag. It is a little hard to tell after the fact if the piston was bad or the injector was bad - and GM is not terribly forthcoming about all this either.

We can run lubricity improving additives in the fuel (I like Optilube products) change the fuel filters early to pamper the pump and injectors, and I run T6 oil, as I believe 5/30 is a little thin for a diesel motor, and that spec is GM chasing an incremental gain in fuel economy. It is worth pointing out that the earlier VM 2.8s specified 15/40 conventional oil, some models 5/40 synthetic. None ever specified 5/30. The motor has changed since then, but not the basic stuff like crank and rods.

If I were you, I would get the new engine and trade it in or sell it. Have heard of people having problems with the new engines as they reuse the old turbo, and (just theory on my part) the turbos have gone out due to metal in the oil left behind. Dealers hate major warranty work like this, and some do a really half ass job of it. Whether or not I kept the truck would depend greatly on the faith I have in the dealer. Even if covered by warranty, as you know all too well, when an engine catastrophically fails out of the blue, it is always a major PITA.

As an owner with a tuned truck, I am nervous about this. It runs great, EGR is off, which is awesome, no problems of any kind to date, but if it blows, I am screwed, up Sh%t Creek without a warranty. It is a conundrum. Most trucks don't fail, but if yours does, it is 100% suck. It really is a bit like playing Russian Roulette with these things. I don't want to dump a truck that is mostly likely fine and working great, but man, if it blows, that is a financial hit. To date I choose to take the risk. I ride motorcycles, go too fast sometimes on them, I guess that is just who I am - haha...

Do report back and let us know what they find regarding the cause of failure if you can.
My engine failed, 2016 2.8, 125k kms, 85k miles., first indications was engine revved up a little, lost heat inside. Wasn't sure at the time. but on the drive to the dealer, engine shutdown. First they thought it was a coolant leak, which it was around a temp sensor (I think), but also around the intake manifold. Once they took of the manifold, they noticed a piston was toast. Getting new engine, turbo, etc under the power train warranty. With COVID< my truck went in October 23, supposed to have it early next week, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
634 Posts
My engine failed, 2016 2.8, 125k kms, 85k miles., first indications was engine revved up a little, lost heat inside. Wasn't sure at the time. but on the drive to the dealer, engine shutdown. First they thought it was a coolant leak, which it was around a temp sensor (I think), but also around the intake manifold. Once they took of the manifold, they noticed a piston was toast. Getting new engine, turbo, etc under the power train warranty. With COVID< my truck went in October 23, supposed to have it early next week, fingers crossed.
The repair times are crazy long.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Joined the Engine failed group earlier this week.

2016 GMC Canon 2.8 LWN.
Purchased new at 20 miles in the dash.
Tuned at 500 miles with 4 position switch (GDE tune)
Deleted EGR at 2000 miles.
Catch can at 3500 miles.
Died at 70,700 miles.
Fuel filters at 25,000 and 50,000 miles.
Oil changes and filter based on dash indicator.

Minimal towing on occasion of ATV's and Trailer - 5,000 lb.
Daily driver for work. Normal day heading to work 54 mph. Stopped at redlight and noticed a miss in motor - initial thoughts was transmission due to shaking.

Pulled out and noticed lots of smoke in the mirrors. flashers on and stopped.
Massive oil dripping at the back of motor.

Towed home, added 3 qt oil (back to full). Started for 5 seconds - confirmed oil leak, massive blow-by from crank pressure (PVC catch can).

In process of tear down - seems to match piston hole from present research.

Bought the diesel for long life...sad the motor fails before the brakes need changed.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts