Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my fluids changed in both the Engine and Trans today. I told them to use 15w 40 Rotella, but all that was specified on the bill was synthetic oil. I should have double checked. I did make sure to get a new trans filter. Not a fan of flushing and reusing the old one. Milage this time out was 69,000 and change. Trans should be happy for a bit. It was fine before, but I like fresh fluid in there now and then. Next up is transfer case, front diff and rear end fluids.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Had my fluids changed in both the Engine and Trans today. I told them to use 15w 40 Rotella, but all that was specified on the bill was synthetic oil. I should have double checked. I did make sure to get a new trans filter. Not a fan of flushing and reusing the old one. Mileage this time out was 69,000 and change. Trans should be happy for a bit. It was fine before, but I like fresh fluid in there now and then. Next up is transfer case, front diff and rear end fluids.
It's sucks that you can't get them to follow your requests , this is why I do all my own service from day 1. It's not that I don't have better things to do, I just don't trust the shops because I really don't think they have your best interest in mind.

·
Super Moderator
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd love to do it myself, but although I have the knowledge to do so and have done so innumerable times in the past, it just is not physically possible after a stroke and a brain tumor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
More importantly is using oil meeting Dexos 2 requirements. Not doing so can cause early DPF failure. Possibly the shop knew that and used Dexos 2 synthetic.

·
Registered
59 Posts
More importantly is using oil meeting Dexos 2 requirements. Not doing so can cause early DPF failure. Possibly the shop knew that and used Dexos 2 synthetic.
Oh I couldn't agree more.
However, there have been quite a few that the dealer didn't use Dexos 2 and tried to blow off the individuals who had their "free oil change" but they were savvy enough to make them change out the oil to the proper product. It would still make me wonder when the truck went back in shop, outside of my view, did they really dump the fresh oil and replace it with the proper oil. This would bug me enough to go change it myself to be sure.

·
Registered
201 Posts
There are some oils (from Mobil for example) that have labels with a symbol resembling Dexos 2, but that aren't, in fact, Dexos 2. In fact I have yet to find any approved oil on any non dealer shelf in St. Louis. I used ~1/2 qt of this "Dexos 2 resemblent" oil by mistake this for make up oil on a trip, and lived to tell the tale.

I change my own as well, and get it online, along with the filters....

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'd love to do it myself, but although I have the knowledge to do so and have done so innumerable times in the past, it just is not physically possible after a stroke and a brain tumor.
I suggest finding a good independent/small business shop. Bring them the oil and filter. For what the dealer here charges I could pay them $75 for the labor, buy the oil and filter, and break even on cost. I change mine myself but my wife this summer failed to let me know her car was overdue for an oil change right before a 3000 mile road trip and I had no time to do it before we left. I bought the oil and filter and sent her to the local small shop. They charged $35 labor.

·
Registered
184 Posts
There are some oils (from Mobil for example) that have labels with a symbol resembling Dexos 2, but that aren't, in fact, Dexos 2. In fact I have yet to find any approved oil on any non dealer shelf in St. Louis. I used ~1/2 qt of this "Dexos 2 resemblent" oil by mistake this for make up oil on a trip, and lived to tell the tale.

I change my own as well, and get it online, along with the filters....
Pennzoil Euro L at Wal-Mart in Maplewood is on the shelf. However, I have it shipped as Wal-Mart does free shipping on $35 or higher orders. I don’t like going to Wal-Mart at all. They were also the lowest cost of all the online sources I could find.

·
Registered
105 Posts
There are some oils (from Mobil for example) that have labels with a symbol resembling Dexos 2, but that aren't, in fact, Dexos 2.
I think the confusion comes from GM labeling. They have Dexos gen 2 oil and Dexos2. Dexos gen 2 is the newer revision of the original Dexos oil. Think they reformulated it for the smaller turbo engines, my wife's Malibu with the 1.5L turbo takes Dexos gen2 oil. You don't want to use the original Dexos in her engine. Dexos2 is the diesel oil.

Why GM labeled these things this way is beyond me, it just creates confusion. I just had my oil changed at the dealer and I verified the ACDelco part number for the oil to make sure it's Dexos2 and not some other non-diesel oil.

Art.

·
Super Moderator
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I suggest finding a good independent/small business shop. Bring them the oil and filter. For what the dealer here charges I could pay them $75 for the labor, buy the oil and filter, and break even on cost. I change mine myself but my wife this summer failed to let me know her car was overdue for an oil change right before a 3000 mile road trip and I had no time to do it before we left. I bought the oil and filter and sent her to the local small shop. They charged $35 labor.
I will try that on the next oil change.

·
Registered
22 Posts
To avoid confusion here is what the dexos logo looks like on the oil container. They are color coded for ease.

·
Super Moderator
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll be moving to Rotella 15w40 because I don't give poop about milage or emissions, but I do like my main bearings.

·
Registered
22 Posts
They just came out with Rotella T6 5w-30. Gonna switch from the 5W-40 T6.
Sounds good but if you compare pricing with pennzoil Euro L 5w/30 at Walmart it's more expensive. $22.00 vs $35.00. Pennzoil definitely changed their reputation since the days their oil created sludge. Pennzoil is now one of the top full synthetic oils in the market. For us guys that still are under warranty it's best to use a Dexos 2 oil. Maybe someday Rotella will get that certificate. 🤞

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds good but if you compare pricing with pennzoil Euro L 5w/30 at Walmart it's more expensive. $22.00 vs $35.00. Pennzoil definitely changed their reputation since the days their oil created sludge. Pennzoil is now one of the top full synthetic oils in the market. For us guys that still are under warranty it's best to use a Dexos 2 oil. Maybe someday Rotella will get that certificate. 🤞
I'm still under warranty. I just feel like I'd rather protect the engine vs. protect the exhaust that I'll delete someday anyway.

I might check out that Pennzoil. Seems like there are a few of you using it.

·
Registered
599 Posts
since everyone already addressed the oil issue. I would like to say, I hope you are recovering well after the stroke and hopefully the tumor is either removed or being treated. I will send a prayer your way for a full recovery.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts