Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive done some light reading into what some guys are doing to gain efficiency and keep the engine happy but would appreciate some insight from you guys.

The want list for this 18 2.8L goes like this:
PCV re-route/catch can
Tuning (up in the air, open to opinions)
Flo-Pro exhaust
3" down pipe (not sure who to use yet)
EGR delete
DEF delete (if it exists)
S&B intake
Titan tank
Mayyyybe a front level + slightly bigger tires and a airbag kit for the rear

First question is, what is the best PCV re-route/catch can for these engines? Ive read that the "mighty mouse" is good however have also read that it isn't very effective at catching oil vapors? All i did for the PCV on my LMM was routed them down to the frame rails to the atmosphere. From what i've gathered the PCV seems to be the cause of premature turbo failures, how true and why?

Second question is, has anyone heard of anyone putting on a FASS fuel system or is there no need? I found a noticeable gain in MPG when installing one on my LMM....which is why I ask.
She is going to be putting alot of miles on this little truck so naturally I want to see whats out there to make it last.

Oil is another topic as I like T6 rotella + archoil but I have a ways to go before worrying about that. Interested to hear what you guys think about it though.

Thanks for the opinions

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Provent (Mann?) or Parker racor ccv4500 are the only catch cans that have true replaceable media filter that I know of. I’m running a racor after the Mighty Mouse did absolutely nothing on my truck and is now collecting dust in my garage. I wouldn’t recommend a can that just has baffles and/or Brillo pads stuffed in it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Provent (Mann?) or Parker racor ccv4500 are the only catch cans that have true replaceable media filter that I know of. I’m running a racor after the Mighty Mouse did absolutely nothing on my truck and is now collecting dust in my garage. I wouldn’t recommend a can that just has baffles and/or Brillo pads stuffed in it.
I just have to wonder if its even necessary to run a catch can for the pcv on these engines?? Be nice and one less thing to deal with if its not needed. I know i'm comparing apples to oranges here but the LB7's didn't have one, my LMM doesn't, and the 5.9 cummins never had one either. Just vented to atmosphere. Not trying to argue just brain storming as this engine is foreign to me

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Necessary to do something, yes. There is A LOT of oily smoke. Combination of very light oil and very high compression, I think. Pull one of your intercooler pipes and you’ll see the oil in there. Oil shouldn’t be in there. It’s very common on turbo cars, I’ve drained a quart of oil out of a VW turbo bug intercooler w 60k on the clock

If you don’t want to catch the fumes you can VTA. If you’re going to vent to atmosphere then don’t do it under the hood. The smell and smoke will drive you crazy. I did that for about a day. My concern for running a hose down to the frame was the oily spray that would get all over the truck...Have you ever had a vehicle with a rear main leak? What you end up with is greasy dirty tailgate/hatch/bumper because the airflow/aerodynamics rolls that oily smoke up behind you.

You can always try it and see. Doesn’t really hurt anything. If you vent to atmosphere, Make sure you plug the hole on then intake hose where the pcv fumes are picked up, you’ll get a check engine light if you leave that open. Promise.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Can’t speak for most of the other items but a tune would help a lot I got the GDE tune this January on my 2017 Z 71 Colorado diesel. Could not be happier the engine performance very well, mpg improved ( Low 30s driving easy) and they do limit the EGR valve so there and are not as many fumes for the engine to burn also - This also minimizes DEF cycles.
The transmission also shift better and no revving between shifts.
They do sell delete also but you have to replace the exhaust system to do that.
Their last free update also improve things even more mileage up 1–2 miles per gallon driving easy and a tranny shifts like a performance model.
I couldn’t be happier it was well worth the investment!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Necessary to do something, yes. There is A LOT of oily smoke. Combination of very light oil and very high compression, I think. Pull one of your intercooler pipes and you’ll see the oil in there. Oil shouldn’t be in there. It’s very common on turbo cars, I’ve drained a quart of oil out of a VW turbo bug intercooler w 60k on the clock

If you don’t want to catch the fumes you can VTA. If you’re going to vent to atmosphere then don’t do it under the hood. The smell and smoke will drive you crazy. I did that for about a day. My concern for running a hose down to the frame was the oily spray that would get all over the truck...Have you ever had a vehicle with a rear main leak? What you end up with is greasy dirty tailgate/hatch/bumper because the airflow/aerodynamics rolls that oily smoke up behind you.

You can always try it and see. Doesn’t really hurt anything. If you vent to atmosphere, Make sure you plug the hole on then intake hose where the pcv fumes are picked up, you’ll get a check engine light if you leave that open. Promise.
I'll slide under and see if there is a spot I like. Some of my friends in the diesel racing industry weld a bung on an angle then plumb the ccv to it so it vents into the exhaust. The exhaust passing by creates a vacuum. When i put a flo pro exhaust on it i might consider it, nice clean install.

Can’t speak for most of the other items but a tune would help a lot I got the GDE tune this January on my 2017 Z 71 Colorado diesel. Could not be happier the engine performance very well, mpg improved ( Low 30s driving easy) and they do limit the EGR valve so there and are not as many fumes for the engine to burn also - This also minimizes DEF cycles.
The transmission also shift better and no revving between shifts.
They do sell delete also but you have to replace the exhaust system to do that.
Their last free update also improve things even more mileage up 1–2 miles per gallon driving easy and a tranny shifts like a performance model.
I couldn’t be happier it was well worth the investment!
I plan to remove the EGR and the factory exhaust altogether so who ever tunes it (maybe me depending on what i find) will be deactivating those systems.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ive done some light reading into what some guys are doing to gain efficiency and keep the engine happy but would appreciate some insight from you guys.

The want list for this 18 2.8L goes like this:
PCV re-route/catch can
Tuning (up in the air, open to opinions)
Flo-Pro exhaust
3" down pipe (not sure who to use yet)
EGR delete
DEF delete (if it exists)
S&B intake
Titan tank
Mayyyybe a front level + slightly bigger tires and a airbag kit for the rear

First question is, what is the best PCV re-route/catch can for these engines? Ive read that the "mighty mouse" is good however have also read that it isn't very effective at catching oil vapors? All i did for the PCV on my LMM was routed them down to the frame rails to the atmosphere. From what i've gathered the PCV seems to be the cause of premature turbo failures, how true and why?

Second question is, has anyone heard of anyone putting on a FASS fuel system or is there no need? I found a noticeable gain in MPG when installing one on my LMM....which is why I ask.
She is going to be putting alot of miles on this little truck so naturally I want to see whats out there to make it last.

Oil is another topic as I like T6 rotella + archoil but I have a ways to go before worrying about that. Interested to hear what you guys think about it though.

Thanks for the opinions
another item to look at is a larger front mount intercooler.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2017 cclb,4.10 gears, fed deleted, tune,titan tank,decked system. Local tune, couldn't be happier with the truck, oh yeah pedal commander. Also have the Banks gauge ++

1 - 8 of 8 Posts