Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading into my first winter, I was wondering what everyone's experience has been if you have the optional engine warmer. At what temperature is it worth using and what's the best way to wire it (heard the plug doesn't quite met the front grill?).

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Our 7.3 Powerstroke at work, sometimes it feels like you need to plug it in below 40. It generally starts, but it might take cycling the glow plugs a few times and trying it, and if it doesn't take, then repeating until it takes which is usually up to 3 tries at most.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Drove it all last year through MN winter with no problems.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was a little surprised that the dealer doesn't order these trucks with a block heater by default since it's about a $100 option.
Then I read that it doesn't start heating until the temp reaches 0F. While it would certainly be useful in that case, I'd rather it start heating at freezing and decided it was mostly useless for me in Mid-Michigan.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The factory installed block heater works well, the cord is located beside the battery and unfolds about 2 feet, I made an extension for mine a rerouted it to one of the openings in the lower front end so I don't have to lift the hood to plug in

·
Registered
106 Posts
The factory installed block heater works well, the cord is located beside the battery and unfolds about 2 feet, I made an extension for mine a rerouted it to one of the openings in the lower front end so I don't have to lift the hood to plug in
Am I to understand that it turns on above 0 degrees F? Or are you having a lot of sub zero days?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Am I to understand that it turns on above 0 degrees F? Or are you having a lot of sub zero days?
I’m not 100% positive but I think the temp sensor is in the male end of the plug where you plug it in. So you could always change the end if you wanted it on anytime it was plugged in

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine was a 6.7. Even my 04 Jetta Tdi starts good with no heater.
I also had a 2004 VW Jetta TDI and never had an issue starting in cold weather. I met a guy on a flight who lived in Vermont which is much colder in the winter than it is here in Virginia and he stated he had only one issue and that was due to a bad tank of fuel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The high here in Eastern Ohio for the last 10+ days was today at 22, nights have been in the Low Single digits over that same time frame. I have been checking how long it takes for the Glow Plug light to go out when the key is in the On Position and it takes no longer than 1.5 seconds and it is out and she starts right up. No Block heater on mine. Friday night to Saturday morning will be in the Minus Zero range and a high of 9 for Saturday so I'll check it then but expect no issues. My sons 2017 Dodge (full delete on it) takes at least 10 seconds with 2 batteries and no block heater, and he still has to crank it for a while in order for it to start. I Love my Duramax!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Heading into my first winter, I was wondering what everyone's experience has been if you have the optional engine warmer. At what temperature is it worth using and what's the best way to wire it (heard the plug doesn't quite met the front grill?).
Good ?, not answered yet. Nor by me. But a little indicator. At -4 degF I had my 2018 plugged in, and it started up right away. Not only that, but was smooth right away. Same temp next AM, but no plug in. Started up, but rattled for a minute or so. Took ~5 minutes for the temp gauge to move both times.

My takeaway - there IS a range of temps where the use of the warmer will make a difference between go and no go. No idea where it is - especially with well engineered, modern oil burners like ours.

And other repliers, PLEASE don't get red at my mention that we haven't answered the question. No diss intended, and I enjoy reading of your experiences....

·
Registered
25 Posts
The high here in Eastern Ohio for the last 10+ days was today at 22, nights have been in the Low Single digits over that same time frame. I have been checking how long it takes for the Glow Plug light to go out when the key is in the On Position and it takes no longer than 1.5 seconds and it is out and she starts right up. No Block heater on mine. Friday night to Saturday morning will be in the Minus Zero range and a high of 9 for Saturday so I'll check it then but expect no issues. My sons 2017 Dodge (full delete on it) takes at least 10 seconds with 2 batteries and no block heater, and he still has to crank it for a while in order for it to start. I Love my Duramax!
I believe that the dodge trucks have a grid heater, not glow plugs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I live in western MA. I have a 2016 Z71 long bed, I was originally going to order the truck, but at the time there was no definitive delivery date when ordering . After a 4 month search I found the exact truck I wanted in the neighboring state of VT. The VT dealer was located about 2hrs. from me, so I went to my local dealer to see if they could arrange a trade with the other dealer, which they did. When the truck was delivered to my local dealer they sent a kid out to pull the truck in for detailing , the kid started the truck and immediately shut it off, returned to the shop and told the shop manager that there was something seriously wrong with the truck. He stated that it sounded like it had a bad motor... LOL, he had no idea they even made a diesel version of the Colorado.
Anyway, what we discovered after delivery was that the truck had never been spec' with a block heater. I was told at this point it would be roughly $300.00 to install it. At the time my wife had a 2014 Volkswagon Passat TDI without a block heater that had successfully started at -21 (real temp, not windchill). So I opted to forgo the block heater.
The last 10 days in Western MA the temps have been below 0 every night, Saturday evening being the coldest at -11 (-11 real temp, wind chill -23) I went out, cycled the glow plugs 3 times and the truck started with no issues, not even a rough idle. I do not use my remote start when temps are extremely low because I want to cycle the glow plugs 2 or 3 times. I also use an anti-gel when filling the truck in the extreme cold.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, last weekend saw temperatures dip in the minus levels in the (-5 on Saturday night). I used the remote start and took less than 4 seconds (seemed like 2 seconds) and started right up. The engine warmer plug has been unwrapped and, I guess, it will remain that way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts