Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Canyon that developed what I’d call abnormal turbo noise in the cab when approaching 2000rpms and beyond. I chalked it up to colder more dense air when the temps dropped well below 0° However after 3 days of this I then was greeted to a check engine light on the dash. After doing some preliminary shake downs I believe it to be directly related to the exhaust brake because now the truck will not allow me to engage the tow/haul/exhaust brake feature. When pushing the button the dash light illuminates momentarily then goes off. I think my exhaust brake is partially engaged and building preboost and that would explain the excessive turbo whine due to the restriction. Not to mention a drop in fuel economy and “pick up”. No limp mode initiated either as a fail safe which I think is kinda weird. I have it scheduled for service in a couple days and will follow up with the dealership findings. Anyone here heard of this or familiar with similar issues? Otherwise I love my Canyon diesel. Thank guys.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
You cannot use tow/haul (exhaust brake) mode when you have a check engine light regardless of the malfunction.

Take it to the dealership. Some people have had loose exhaust manifolds, that’s my guess

Also, please post in the correct sub forum for everybody’s sanity and ease of finding information for a problem/question

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well after posting this over a month ago I finally brought my Canyon in to the shop last week and it was determined that I had bent fins on the impeller of the turbo which required a complete turbo replacement at on 6K miles!!!! They stated that there was a bulletin that pointed them in that direction after no other visible issues where apparent. A week later and I got my truck back and the noise is gone. It’s almost unbelievable that the right amount of heat and pressure took place inside that housing to fold over some of the fins. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes. There was some speculation that it could be caused by Ice created in the CCV as the condensed water froze. The ice gets sucked into the turbo and BAM! Do you live in a cold climate ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. There was some speculation that it could be caused by Ice created in the CCV as the condensed water froze. The ice gets sucked into the turbo and BAM! Do you live in a cold climate ?
Yes I live in the Chicago area! When we had our first deep freeze of the season when temps dipped well below 0° is when it happened. I just assumed it was sucking in colder more dense air. But when it warmed above 40° and the noise was still there I knew there was an issue.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I live in Missouri and it has gotten fairly cold here. There when we went home for Christmas, there were a few days in Ohio when it was at 10 above to 5 below 0. The day we left to come back to Missouri, it was -5 and stayed that way most the way back to Missouri. I can't say that I have noticed an issue yet though with ours making any whining from the Turbo.

@CleverUserName , is there a fix for this? You mentioned water gets formed in the CCV, freezes and then makes it's way to the turbo. Didn't know if there was a way to keep stuff from getting from the CCV to the turbo. For some reason I had it in my head that installing a catch can might fix that....

·
Registered
192 Posts
I live in Missouri and it has gotten fairly cold here. There when we went home for Christmas, there were a few days in Ohio when it was at 10 above to 5 below 0. The day we left to come back to Missouri, it was -5 and stayed that way most the way back to Missouri. I can't say that I have noticed an issue yet though with ours making any whining from the Turbo.

@CleverUserName , is there a fix for this? You mentioned water gets formed in the CCV, freezes and then makes it's way to the turbo. Didn't know if there was a way to keep stuff from getting from the CCV to the turbo. For some reason I had it in my head that installing a catch can might fix that....
Yes the catch-can could prevent it from happening if the Ice was created before the can itself. However if the can froze you would have bigger problems than a blown turbocharger. It would probably overpressurize the engine under boost and push out one or more engine seals. A catch can with a PRD or PRV (Pressure relief device or valve) would provide a safety in case this happened.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2018 Canyon that developed what I’d call abnormal turbo noise in the cab when approaching 2000rpms and beyond. I chalked it up to colder more dense air when the temps dropped well below 0° However after 3 days of this I then was greeted to a check engine light on the dash. After doing some preliminary shake downs I believe it to be directly related to the exhaust brake because now the truck will not allow me to engage the tow/haul/exhaust brake feature. When pushing the button the dash light illuminates momentarily then goes off. I think my exhaust brake is partially engaged and building preboost and that would explain the excessive turbo whine due to the restriction. Not to mention a drop in fuel economy and “pick up”. No limp mode initiated either as a fail safe which I think is kinda weird. I have it scheduled for service in a couple days and will follow up with the dealership findings. Anyone here heard of this or familiar with similar issues? Otherwise I love my Canyon diesel. Thank guys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
New to the site. Picked up a 2017 Z71 on 12/21/17. Turbo replaced at 3000 miles, started to hear the “whistle” at less than 2000 miles but was in denial.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m assuming stock vehicle? What were the symptoms and what did it sound like?
Completely stock. Sounded like a slight whistle which began to get louder. I am in Wisconsin (cold climate) There is a You Tube video posted which nails the noise exactly. Very disappointing to say the least.

·
Registered
4 Posts
HI All, new to site, bought a new 2016 Colorado diesel in 2016, live in northern Ontario, Canada. WE have had some very cold days and have to twice have the "reductant fluid supply pump" replaced. Assume the cold has caused the DEF fluid to freeze, damage the pump?? I asked what the cost of the work would be if I was off warranty, was told $1500 plus taxes! Anyone experiencing this?
I seemed to get a burnt rubber smell a couple of time just in town driving. It was quite strong, came from middle of truck - thinking now it was related to the pump being smoked!

·
Registered
192 Posts
HI All, new to site, bought a new 2016 Colorado diesel in 2016, live in northern Ontario, Canada. WE have had some very cold days and have to twice have the "reductant fluid supply pump" replaced. Assume the cold has caused the DEF fluid to freeze, damage the pump?? I asked what the cost of the work would be if I was off warranty, was told $1500 plus taxes! Anyone experiencing this?
I seemed to get a burnt rubber smell a couple of time just in town driving. It was quite strong, came from middle of truck - thinking now it was related to the pump being smoked!
It’s probably the smell of a Regen cycle. The DPF is underneath the bed near the middle of the truck

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks, feel better about that! Still not happy about the repairs, concerned when off warranty. No others experiencing issues with the fluid pump?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Haven’t posted since I got rid of the Colorado and went back to a Silverado in July of 2018. I do miss the mileage but not the worry about another trip to the dealer. I enjoy following this site and the posts but don’t regret my decision

31000 miles on the Silverado and not a single problem

1 - 17 of 17 Posts