Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I like having ours. Can put stuff in there and now worry about it getting wet. And the dogs like it too :). We went with a Leer 100 XR. I considered ARE, but they were just ever so slightly higher in price than Leer, and I liked the idea of possibly adding the fold out Leer side windows latter, and maybe the Leer Locker.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, in shopping at 3 places, the Leer ended up being about $1,000 higher than the Century, and A.R.E. was . right in the middle. I've not made a final decision, and may visit the Leer dealer again to make sure I'm comparing equal caps...I've got a feeling they were quoting something a bit bolder than I may need.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
When I bought mine, I looked at the 100R and 100XR but not the 100XL. All are cab height caps. I went with the XR due to the options I could add later on and for the nicer automotive style back glass and single handle rather than 2 handles to open the back glass like the 100R.

When I bought mine was around black Friday and they had a deal going on. I think the 100R started at $1500-1600, but they had some economy style of the 100R for like $1300-1400 which didn't give you a warranty or not much of one, but the idea was to be able to compete with so called lower quality manufacturers.

I think the 100XR was $1800 and cost me $2000-2100 after the few options I added. That dealer sold ARE as well and they were similarly priced to Leer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I'm actually guessing that they quoted me a top-end one and I need to give them another chance, it's where I bought my tonneau cover for the Ram, and they were directly in line price wise with anywhere else and I had great service. I'm with you that I like the auto-style glass and single handle lift-gate. Being a contractor I'm a little torn that I have to make sure I can carry enough in this truck with a cap or if I should just get another tonneau and be able to roll it up...or just haul stuff in the Ram and let this tow a trailer as needed...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Couldn't you get a cap and still haul a trailer too if you ever need to? If you have a 1500 RAM, I would almost think this this could out toes tow that thing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, and that's likely what I'll end up doing...my difficulty with a cap is that hauling a sheet of plywood/osb/drywall will be a pain in the rear, whereas with a roll-up tonneau I could at least roll it up and have the sheets span from front of the bed and across the tailgate. Not sure how far I should drive with the cap door open and plywood/osb/drywall hanging over the tailgate, yeah?

Again, I'm able to grab a trailer or the Ram 1500 if necessary, but when I've got baby in tow the 1500 has no airbag disable so I'm with the Colorado...so much drama! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts