Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just turned 56,000 mi and have 4,000 mi on my latest oil change, and I am a quart low. My oil change intervals vary from 5,000-7,000 mi, all DIY except for the first 2 "freebies", sometimes dictated by my travel schedule.

No leaks detected either at the Fumoto, oil pan, Provent, filter or elsewhere. I know I added 6 qts of Castrol Edge EuroCar Dexos2 5W30.

I just completed a 1,600 in mi tow from NC to West TX via Atlanta, Mobile and then I10 the rest of the way. Speeds of up to 65 mph, and my mpg dropped from my usual 15.0 to 13.5 on this trip.

Up till now, I never added any oil between changes and never went over a pint or so low. I carefully monitor oil pressure and check oil levels every morning before starting out and at every fueling or rest stop on trips.

The truck and trailer are within rated axle, gross and combined weight ratings. I even back the Morgan into the trailer to ease up on the tongue weight, although the car only weighs about 1,900#.

I have attached photos of this trip's dash results along with an earlier trip this year from NC to Saratoga NY for a car show for comparison.

Any thoughts, other than "why are you concerned"?
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering part Speedometer
Vehicle Car Speedometer Gauge Tachometer

·
Registered
193 Posts
Something doesn't sound right that you're only getting 15mpg normally. Most people are reporting 30 or better when not towing and at least 20 mpg towing in the 5k pound range.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The trailer grosses out at 6,100#, and I tow with a Husky WDH using Tow/Haul.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a typical trip, mpg wise, from VT to SC. No tow of course!
Speedometer Vehicle Gauge Tachometer Car

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a similar situation, ongoing since I purchased the 2016 Colorado certified pre-owned with about 45k miles. The truck now has about 75k miles. It doesn't always happen but when it does it'll show needing a quart usually just before the oil change reminder comes up.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a similar situation, ongoing since I purchased the 2016 Colorado certified pre-owned with about 45k miles. The truck now has about 75k miles. It doesn't always happen but when it does it'll show needing a quart usually just before the oil change reminder comes up.
Well I am not going to change anything yet. I will wait to see what happens with the Blackstone oil analysis, which I do every other oil change, and for now I will continue with my "regular" 5W30 oil.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm at 70k now and I'd say 40-50% of the time I end up half to 1 quart low by the time my truck is due for an oil change. It's been this way basically since new, I'm not worried about it. A quart every 7000-7500 miles is nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Looks normal to me, especially with the 5/30 oil. Have been using T6 5/40. Accidentally bought a gallon jug of 15/40 T6, put two quarts of that in with 4 quarts of the 5/40 T6. It used a quart during the last 7.5K mile oil change interval, which is less than usual - I was seeing a quart every 4K as was your experience. I think I am gonna go with my "7.5W/40" blend from here on in :LOL:

Sent it in for the usual oil analyses, noted the blending of the two oils in the comments, it will be interesting to see what they say.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm at 70k now and I'd say 40-50% of the time I end up half to 1 quart low by the time my truck is due for an oil change. It's been this way basically since new, I'm not worried about it. A quart every 7000-7500 miles is nothing to worry about.
If my memory serves me well, except for a Porsche Carrera 3.0 I owned in Germany and in the US for 8 years, I can't remember any vehicle I've owned using a quart between oil changes.

That of course excludes my Morgan! It is a committed "oil weeper". The Morgan maxim is "if there's no oil under a Morgan, it's out of oil"!

Anyway, your comments, and those of @Duken4ever about your experiences with this motor is helpful, and I thank both of you.

I gather you and @Duken4evr have also moved on from 5W30 to 5W40 oils. I am not ready yet, so I will stick with 5W30 a bit longer to see if this oil use is an anomaly or something else. Maybe it needs a heavier oil.

I will also continue using Blackstone occasionally as I do with my Coach's lube fluids.

Reactions: Duken4evr

·
Registered
120 Posts
If my memory serves me well, except for a Porsche Carrera 3.0 I owned in Germany and in the US for 8 years, I can't remember any vehicle I've owned using a quart between oil changes.

That of course excludes my Morgan! It is a committed "oil weeper". The Morgan maxim is "if there's no oil under a Morgan, it's out of oil"!

Anyway, your comments, and those of @Duken4ever about your experiences with this motor is helpful, and I thank both of you.

I gather you and @Duken4evr have also moved on from 5W30 to 5W40 oils. I am not ready yet, so I will stick with 5W30 a bit longer to see if this oil use is an anomaly or something else. Maybe it needs a heavier oil.

I will also continue using Blackstone occasionally as I do with my Coach's lube fluids.
My wife's EcoDiesel with just shy of 100k on it doesn't have the oil level move at all between oil changes. I did an oil change about a year ago with Valvoline Premium Blue 5w40 and was down a quart by the time it was change the oil (7,800 miles on that oil change, IIRC). I sent a sample of that oil out for analysis and the results were stellar, they said better than other samples from the LWN with fewer miles on the oil. So, the consumption hasn't been an indication of wear problems. I also started running a catch can again around the same time so it wasn't oil "lost" via PCV. IIRC, GM considers oil consumption to be excessive if you burn a quart every 1,000 or 1,500 miles. So a quart every oil change (~7,500 miles) is far from excessive. It's relatively common for diesels to burn a little oil. What you don't want is for your engine to "make" oil where the oil level starts to rise over time as that tends to indicate the oil is being diluted with fuel.

I've been running 5w40 year-round since the first time I changed my oil. There have been a couple of 0w-40 (Mobil 1 ESP) oil changes along the way, but otherwise it's been 5w40, either dexos2 or proper CK-4 diesel oil (more common for me). The diesel supplement does say 0w-40 is fine along with the standard 5w30, as such 5w40 also falls into the acceptable range (0w to 5w and SAE 30 to SAE 40). I'm sure sticking with 5w30 will be fine as would a 5w40 or 0w40. The bigger decision to make, IMO, is if you want to stick with dexos2 oil or move to a proper diesel oil like Rotella T6, Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w40, Valvoline Premium Blue 5w40, etc.

I know we'd all prefer the oil level not change between oil changes, but really 1 quart between oil changes is totally fine and pretty normal for a lot of vehicles. My daughter's Ford with the 3.5 is usually down a quart, my wife's previous vehicle (2012 Honda Pilot) would lose about a quart between oil changes, etc.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
My wife's EcoDiesel with just shy of 100k on it doesn't have the oil level move at all between oil changes. I did an oil change about a year ago with Valvoline Premium Blue 5w40 and was down a quart by the time it was change the oil (7,800 miles on that oil change, IIRC). I sent a sample of that oil out for analysis and the results were stellar, they said better than other samples from the LWN with fewer miles on the oil. So, the consumption hasn't been an indication of wear problems. I also started running a catch can again around the same time so it wasn't oil "lost" via PCV. IIRC, GM considers oil consumption to be excessive if you burn a quart every 1,000 or 1,500 miles. So a quart every oil change (~7,500 miles) is far from excessive. It's relatively common for diesels to burn a little oil. What you don't want is for your engine to "make" oil where the oil level starts to rise over time as that tends to indicate the oil is being diluted with fuel.

I've been running 5w40 year-round since the first time I changed my oil. There have been a couple of 0w-40 (Mobil 1 ESP) oil changes along the way, but otherwise it's been 5w40, either dexos2 or proper CK-4 diesel oil (more common for me). The diesel supplement does say 0w-40 is fine along with the standard 5w30, as such 5w40 also falls into the acceptable range (0w to 5w and SAE 30 to SAE 40). I'm sure sticking with 5w30 will be fine as would a 5w40 or 0w40. The bigger decision to make, IMO, is if you want to stick with dexos2 oil or move to a proper diesel oil like Rotella T6, Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w40, Valvoline Premium Blue 5w40, etc.

I know we'd all prefer the oil level not change between oil changes, but really 1 quart between oil changes is totally fine and pretty normal for a lot of vehicles. My daughter's Ford with the 3.5 is usually down a quart, my wife's previous vehicle (2012 Honda Pilot) would lose about a quart between oil changes, etc.
I use Valvoline Premium Blue Semi Syn 10W30 CK4 in both the Coach and Cummins Onan 10k Genset, which is recommended by Cummins annually or 25,000 mi, whichever comes first and 100 hrs or annually on the genset. I haven't done more annually than 15,000 mi and 75 hrs , so I change annually, like this weekend.

If I could find a CK4 meeting ACEA-C3 2016 low ash SAPs, which I believe is the recommendation for the DuraMax, I'd consider it for the Colorado. I think they're mutually exclusive though. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I use Valvoline Premium Blue Semi Syn 10W30 CK4 in both the Coach and Cummins Onan 10k Genset, which is recommended by Cummins annually or 25,000 mi, whichever comes first and 100 hrs or annually on the genset. I haven't done more annually than 15,000 mi and 75 hrs , so I change annually, like this weekend.

If I could find a CK4 meeting ACEA-C3 2016 low ash SAPs, which I believe is the recommendation for the DuraMax, I'd consider it for the Colorado. I think they're mutually exclusive though. Any thoughts?
Indeed, ACEA C3 is not going to line up with API CK-4. The ACEA spec for CK-4 oils is E9. CJ-4/CK-4 oils are mid SAPS (1.0% max ash vs 0.8% for C3. Low SAPS is currently < 0.5%) so they're all going to be "DPF friendly." The CK-4/ACEA E9 oils are going to protect better in diesels than the gas/light diesel ACEA C3 oil will. The early EcoDiesel engines were spec'd with 5w-30 ACEA C3 oil, but after excessive engine failures (largely main bearing failures that seemed to be caused by sludge or polymer/carbon build-up blocking oil flow) they switched the spec to CJ-4/CK-4 5w-40 (Recommended Shell Rotella T6 5w40 because FCA had a partnership with SOPUS. The T6 oil doesn't actually list the Mopar spec anymore, not sure why) and the failures stopped. They could've spec'd a 5w-40 ACEA C3 oil if it were a viscosity issue, but based on what I saw it was excessive soot that caused problems with sludge or carbon/polymer blockages starving the mains for oil. The CK-4/ACEA E9 oils are able to deal with soot better.

Finding ACEA C3 or dexos2 oil in 5w-40 these days is getting very difficult but it's not impossible. CarQuest and Advance Auto both sell "FRAM" 5w-40 dexos2 oil, it used to be CarQuest-branded and they decided it would be a good idea to switch to the label to the FRAM brand, who knows why. The oil is made by Amalie, not FRAM, so if the name FRAM makes you cringe then don't worry as the oil will be fine. :)

Is the same as...

I actually saw it available on the shelves of my local Advance Auto today. I'll be sticking with a CK-4 oil, though. No more warranty anyway. :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Indeed, ACEA C3 is not going to line up with API CK-4. The ACEA spec for CK-4 oils is E9. CJ-4/CK-4 oils are mid SAPS (1.0% max ash vs 0.8% for C3. Low SAPS is currently < 0.5%) so they're all going to be "DPF friendly." The CK-4/ACEA E9 oils are going to protect better in diesels than the gas/light diesel ACEA C3 oil will. The early EcoDiesel engines were spec'd with 5w-30 ACEA C3 oil, but after excessive engine failures (largely main bearing failures that seemed to be caused by sludge or polymer/carbon build-up blocking oil flow) they switched the spec to CJ-4/CK-4 5w-40 (Recommended Shell Rotella T6 5w40 because FCA had a partnership with SOPUS. The T6 oil doesn't actually list the Mopar spec anymore, not sure why) and the failures stopped. They could've spec'd a 5w-40 ACEA C3 oil if it were a viscosity issue, but based on what I saw it was excessive soot that caused problems with sludge or carbon/polymer blockages starving the mains for oil. The CK-4/ACEA E9 oils are able to deal with soot better.

Finding ACEA C3 or dexos2 oil in 5w-40 these days is getting very difficult but it's not impossible. CarQuest and Advance Auto both sell "FRAM" 5w-40 dexos2 oil, it used to be CarQuest-branded and they decided it would be a good idea to switch to the label to the FRAM brand, who knows why. The oil is made by Amalie, not FRAM, so if the name FRAM makes you cringe then don't worry as the oil will be fine. :)

Is the same as...

I actually saw it available on the shelves of my local Advance Auto today. I'll be sticking with a CK-4 oil, though. No more warranty anyway. :)

Is the same as...,

Triax blends a 5W40, Euro VX which meets the ACEA-C3 2016 low ash SAPs standard. It is $44 for a 5 qt container on Amazon but that compares fairly well with MOBIL 1 Turbo Diesel CK4 at $32 for a 4 qt container.

I'll think this over before the truck's next oil change.

Interesting exchange of ideas!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have around 78k miles on my 2016 Colorado and have noticed 1/2 to 1 quart loss of oil just before my oil changes ever since I reached about 40k miles. I was a bit worried at first too. It doesn't happen every oil change but I am now thinking it happens everytime I am pulling a trailer. I don't pull anything like I thought I would when I bought the truck. Now I only pull a trailer a couple times a year. And when I do, that is when I notice the loss. Maybe a coincidence but thought I would share nonetheless.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Car

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I have around 78k miles on my 2016 Colorado and have noticed 1/2 to 1 quart loss of oil just before my oil changes ever since I reached about 40k miles. I was a bit worried at first too. It doesn't happen every oil change but I am now thinking it happens everytime I am pulling a trailer. I don't pull anything like I thought I would when I bought the truck. Now I only pull a trailer a couple times a year. And when I do, that is when I notice the loss. Maybe a coincidence but thought I would share nonetheless. View attachment 9341
Up till this recent long haul from NC to W TX, I lost no perceivable oil on my other tows which were up to 750 mi one way. This caught me by surprise, but comments by others on this forum, including you, have eased my mind somewhat.

I have now decided to stay with 5W30, but move over, maybe up, to the Triax Euro Ultra VX 5W30 which I have used earlier in the truck's life. It meets, but is not rated, Dexos2, but it has the important ACEA C3-2016 low ash, low SAPs specification. I have a few qts leftover, from a 5 qt container, of Castrol Edge Euro Car 5W30 Dexos2 which I have been running for the past 20,000 mi that I will "blend in". Later on, I will consider going to a 5W40 oil like others on this forum have done. Triax has that covered also with the demanding ASEA spec.

Thx for your input!

Oh yes, Happy New Year to all the Forum participants/followers. This Forum has turned out, for the most part, to be a welcoming, informative place to read other's experiences, respsonses and participate if you so desire. Many of the threads here and on ColoradoFans are in a "parallel universe" to mine with regards to lifts, "nasty" tires, heavy suspension and engine mods, but I enjoy getting out of my "comfort zone" once in a while reading them and many times shaking my head! No insults intended!

I truly hope 2022 brings us some respite from this COVID deal.

Reactions: DieselDrax
1 - 16 of 16 Posts