Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Thanks for the link, RCD. Starting on a 9-10K mile trip next week, towing a trailer. We'll get 18-19 m/g and will have one fuel filter and at least one oil and oil filter change. The ff I might be able to do in a campground....
Wow have a safe and happy trip!!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Thanks for the link, RCD. Starting on a 9-10K mile trip next week, towing a trailer. We'll get 18-19 m/g and will have one fuel filter and at least one oil and oil filter change. The ff I might be able to do in a campground....
Btw, You’ll need the same 27mm socket to change both the oil and the fuel filter.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
19,000 miles. fuel filter life was at 7%.

FYI If you reset the fuel filter life when you have the key to run but not started then it resets to 100% right away. I did this while I was priming the pump.

5A9CE446-1A73-4BB7-9E7D-EAB74E06640B.jpeg

Also FYI if you have 33 miles range left in your fuel tank and you change your fuel filters then your tank will be slap-ass dry. If this happens your truck will only run for 15 seconds after the repair. Lmao.

·
Registered
19 Posts
2017 model 2.8 Duramax @62000 miles, still get 25 miles towing. change my oil every 5K miles. changed filters all cabin engine fuel
my truck will be happy when I change the trans & rear dif + transfer case next. have anyone here done a break job on Colorado? if you did please post the type of brake pads used as always Great knowledge found here. Thanks Folks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I see most of the posts here are from some time ago. For my experience, I did my first change of the fuel filters at 30,000 miles. Expected to do it around 20,000 miles based on diesels in other brand vehicles...... Coming due again at the next oil change ( I do my oil changes/tire rotations every 5k miles) for fuel filter replacement. I see a few comments about cycling the key on for a few seconds or starting the truck multiple times to reset the fuel filter life monitor. You can reset it by pressing/holding the check mark on the right side steering wheel buttons while the viewing the fuel filter life monitor in the DIC, same as you do for resetting the oil life monitor.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just did mine again for the second time averaging every 20k miles.
easy to do with basic hand tools.

Made me look. I've got ~18K miles on my current fuel filter, and - I dunno - maybe 40% left. Does anyone have a r.o.t. on how close to zero percent to let it go?

FYI, I try and change oil between 30 and 40% left.* I "trust" that, because I think there must be a simple algorithm in the computer that uses info on engine load and fuel used to improve the oil change interval advice.

* Don't mean to hijack the thread. I just use it as another example of how I consider what the truck is telling me....

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am at 13,400 mi, and I had my 2nd and last 'free' oil change at 10% on the OLM (6,900 mi). I decided to change both the air and cabin filters now as there was more than a 'normal' amount of debris/dirt in them. Maybe every other oil change in the future.
My fuel filters are at 64% so I am wondering what kind of protocol I should follow with servicing them. I use quality, high volume diesel and Diesel Kleen every fueling, but I am considering changing them every 3-4 oil changes, and make it a day of 'under the truck/under the hood'!
As has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the DID/ECM algorithms are good information, but not absolutes, and at my age I like predictable patterns such as those based on time or oil change routines.
Too early to tell just now at this early mileage though. It is always, for me, to read about others' experiences so I can be more informed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm going to see how many miles I get out of a fuel filter change. It's been a while and over 175000 miles I've had to change the fuel filter 3 times and I'm at 40% now. Dam those things get dirty. I just ordered my service kit with fuel filters. Usually I'll change at 10%. But I might change earlier this time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know this might be repetitive but I replaced my fuel filters today.

Installed OEM AC filters.
Pulled the housing drain and let it drain out to a drip. Both filters screwed off fairly easy. Torqued up the filters to 25nm/18.5 ftlbs.
Primed the filters and then it started up normal. No noises or rough idle. Couldn't be any easier. If your mechanically inclined then there should only be a few reasons for not doing it yourself.

Even though my 2019 only had 4,278 miles on the odometer I decided after one year in service it's time to change the filters. The old filters were brown in color but looked good. No obvious gunk or debris.
My counter had 84% left to go but I follow old school diesel filter changes of at least once a year. I know technology changes and fuels are better but at this rate it would be approximately 6 years until the counter reaches close to 10%.

Too bad my 2018 Cruze diesel fuel filter replacement can't be this easy.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ok I looked and couldn’t find any info on this.....
Today I was at GM picking up a new air filter.
I asked the guy to price out the fuel filters.
He said fuel filter and water separator
I say yes.....
He said the water separator is 160.00 and the fuel filter is 130.00 or something.
i holly crap ..... never mind I will order the kit from Amazon

My point is
Each unit is different?
There is a water separator
and
a fuel filter?
If this is right witch is witch.
and if this is true what is it that amazon is selling

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's strange. Either there was miscommunication or a RIP off was in progress. AC Filters will run you about $45.00 for the pair and the filter housing runs about $98.00 on Ebay or Amazon. No need to change the housing. That's crazy what he quoted you.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Ok I looked and couldn’t find any info on this.....
Today I was at GM picking up a new air filter.
I asked the guy to price out the fuel filters.
He said fuel filter and water separator
I say yes.....
He said the water separator is 160.00 and the fuel filter is 130.00 or something.
i holly crap ..... never mind I will order the kit from Amazon

My point is

Each unit is different?
There is a water separator
and
a fuel filter?
If this is right witch is witch.
and if this is true what is it that amazon is selling
Tell the dealer guy to stop puffing from the crack pipe.....

21 - 36 of 36 Posts