Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Filled my truck up the other day and checked "fuel remaining" and it indicated I had 96mi. left which at 25mpg (which my mpg indicator read) left me with approx. 3.5 gals in the tank. So I began to fill and by the time I topped off I had put 22.2 gal. in it. So obviously the 21 gal. capacity must be "usable fuel"? The pump was inspected 3 months ago so it should be correct. Anybody else had this happen to them? Not complaining or anything, just curious. Madmac:eek:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I d/n have any "low fuel" lights or dings at the time of my fill up, but maybe I've got a "freak" truck?? I'm pretty good at calculating fuel range since I've ridden motorcycles back and forth across this great nation for 47 years of my life. But maybe my local fuel station's pumps are off somewhat? :confused:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Well I d/n have any "low fuel" lights or dings at the time of my fill up, but maybe I've got a "freak" truck?? I'm pretty good at calculating fuel range since I've ridden motorcycles back and forth across this great nation for 47 years of my life. But maybe my local fuel station's pumps are off somewhat? :confused:
I got my fingers cross for a bigger tank.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Google says 21gal, so I don't know how you fit that much fuel in there.

Pump had a sticker showing an inspection date from the state?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Google says 21gal, so I don't know how you fit that much fuel in there.

Pump had a sticker showing an inspection date from the state?
Yes, it looked like a state sticker(white w/ black lettering & date) stamped on it and placed over the joint of pump and access cover to prevent tampering. It appeared to me. Madmac:confused:!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok guys, the tank is the same as their big brothers 25 gallons. But the filler neck is placed deeper in the tank. This allows for the foaming of the Diesel when filling. If you fill to the first pump click and then fill slow you can add up to 4-5 gallons. I put 3-4 extra every time. Some people will say this is bad due to expansion. This information came from a reliable source from GM.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I keep putting in fuel long after the pump clicks off all the time. Once when I was making a long trip and putting in fuel right before I left I filled her all the way to the top of the neck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So I began to fill and by the time I topped off I had put 22.2 gal.
I have also done that. It was surprising. I've never had a vehicle exceed the captivity of the tank.

·
Registered
213 Posts
while watching some online reviews, when they did fuel test they always let it auto click and then waited 30 seconds for the foam to die down and always got quite a bit more fuel in. I try to do this, but often don't have the patience.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just had my first long trip. I had filled it up to the neck after letting foam die down (this was it's first fill up). I then drove 629 miles from New Jersey, thru the mountains of northern Maryland and West Virginia into Lexington KY. The fuel light had been lit up for a bit and the DIC had given up telling me range after saying 60 miles left, I drove probably another 25-30 miles as I was in the Daniel Boone's and there were no gas stations or exits for a while. I stuffed the tank to the rim and it took 22.9 gallons. Since this was only the second time filling up since I got the truck I quickly learned that the geniuses at GM didn't size the opening to fit the larger diesel truck nozzle..... It was a long slow fill as that'ts the nozzle I had pulled up to!

·
Super Moderator
408 Posts
I fill till it clicks off, wait 30 seconds and then fill verrry slowly till it stops again. I have not ever run it down much past 1/4 tank before topping off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts