Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran my truck down to the low fuel warning pop up warning message. I have never done this previously. It popped up just as I was pulling in the the fuel station. It took 23 gallons. I thought the total tank capacity was 21 gallons. Is the tank bigger than the specs suggest or did I get the shaft by the fuel station?

Thanks in advance,

Terry

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Well, there’s not really a way to tell either way. But since we are speculating, I think it’s very unlikely that the dispenser is out of whack by 10%

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pump was filling really slow. I guess with such low turbulence there would be no foam and possibly more fuel allowed in the tank. I dunno...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried unsuccessfully to edit my previous post so here it is again. I have some down time between connecting flights and googled many different phrases to find information on fuel tank capacity in general. I did find one article that spoke to “vapor space” and the possibly of filling it with fuel. I am going to speculate that due to the very slow filling pump I managed to fill up the vapor space with fuel. If that occurred, I dont like the idea that I overfilled the tank. However, after my wife dropped me off at the airport she drove another 100 miles and hopefully alleviated the overfill. All speculation, but plausible I think.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This comes up every few months. Our tanks are the same size as the full size, the fuel intake tube is just placed at a different depth. So if you fuel slowly you can put more than the " stated capacity". I have put as much as 24 gallons in. Some people will tell you that this is bad and some people do it all the time. I regularly do it and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Whenever you have the handle set on high while pumping, whenever it kicks out, if you go slow you can put another 2 gallons in until it starts running out of the fill inlet.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Makes sense to me. The low VP of diesel fuel probably keeps it from burping. And the tank design might also account for the disconnect between the indicated fuel level and the theoretical remaining range. Mi needle plummets past 1/3 indicated, and I started getting warnings once. But I don't recall adding more than 21 gal, even though I drip it in towards the end.

Been towing with a GCVWR of over 10500# thru US west coast/Canada/US east coast for the past ~10K miles, with our Z71 CCLB. Even at the higher burn rate, if we combine rest and fuel stops, we usually fill ~1/2, empty the same or more. Which keeps us in our comfort zone 2 ways....

·
Registered
152 Posts
I hadn't seen this thread when I posted a similar question a couple weeks ago. If you fill it all the way up, I think the capacity is right around 25 gallons. Personally, I wouldn't fill it past the first click or two if I were going to leave it sitting in the sun. But, if I'm on the road and will start burning it off right away, there shouldn't be a buildup of pressure that could cause a problem. I haven't had a problem doing this on this or gassers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts