Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had two occasions where I verified that the capacity is well above 21 gallons. Last week, gauge was down not quite to E, I had over 600 miles on the tank, filled it up and it took 22 gallons. Admittedly, I kept filling after it vented off and tried to get it as full as possible so I realize this will be more than the stated capacity, but how much? From this I estimated that the true capacity is something like 25 gallons. I had one previous incident where the light was on but the estimator for remaining miles was saying something like 60 and, it took about 24+ gallons. What are others finding? Also, I am curious if the remaining miles estimator is based on some measure of what's in the fuel tank or just an assumed 21 gallon tank and some assumed projected MPG? It never makes much sense during the last 1/2 of the tank. Also, my gauge is way top heavy; i.e. the first half of the tank is about 2/3 of the total fuel.

·
Registered
180 Posts
If you fill your tank all the way to the top of the filler neck, it will hold 25gals. in total. When mine "clicks-off" on the initial fill, I can put almost 4gals. more in it. Hope this helps. MAC:cool:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that sounds like about how mine works too. I am also curious about how much fuel is left in there when the light comes on, the gong sounds, and the needle is empty.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I got lucky once when I was on a trip out west and I was close to a truck stop when the light came on, So when I filled up, I had 2.5 gal. left. All sending units are not created equal! YMMV, so don't take what I say as gospel, check your's for yourself.. Hope this helps.
Mac:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts