Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
On the one hand, I really want to delete, on the other, my DuramaxTuner seems to be doing a fine job and I won't run afoul of eco police.
Getting delete tunes is difficult now unless you go outside of the US. You don’t want any Jo-Smho tuning it as our engines are temperamental with the emissions equipment. Finding an exhaust would be even more difficult though. Would probably have to have one custom made as finding pre-made units from Flo~Pro, aFe or MBRP is impossible anymore.

Should you start to have issues though, and you want to keep the truck, I would look at finding a way to tune and delete it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Getting delete tunes is difficult now unless you go outside of the US. You don’t want any Jo-Smho tuning it as our engines are temperamental with the emissions equipment. Finding an exhaust would be even more difficult though. Would probably have to have one custom made as finding pre-made units from Flo~Pro, aFe or MBRP is impossible anymore.

Should you start to have issues though, and you want to keep the truck, I would look at finding a way to tune and delete it.
Last week I had engine code pop up it ended up being I needed a new sensor behind the dpf filter rt where the exhaust goes over the rear axle they had issues at my gm place so the lowered the exhaust dn to change it out runs fine so far thank goodness it was under warrantee

·
Registered
27 Posts

The only other question I have is the turbo back exhaust comes in alluminized steel or go with the stainless steel? Zzdiesel has both and hddiesel.ca has alluminized steel MBRP exhaust

·
Registered
983 Posts
The only other question I have is the turbo back exhaust comes in alluminized steel or go with the stainless steel? Zzdiesel has both and hddiesel.ca has alluminized steel MBRP exhaust
Aluminized will be cheaper of course but it won’t last as long. I had it on my 2004 Silverado and it served its purpose. It was starting to rust when I sold it. I only had the truck for 3 years but I imagine it won’t last as long.

I got the stainless steel from Flo~Pro for my Canyon. I know there are different grades of SS and this must be a lower one because it’s fading in its shine. But there isn’t really any rust on it. It never came with an exhaust tip so I purchased an MBRP one and attached it. Makes it look better and does give it a little deeper sound as the original sound straight piped was lacking. It’s by no means the 6.6 V8 so it will never sound that good, but the exhaust tip did help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Aluminized will be cheaper of course but it won’t last as long. I had it on my 2004 Silverado and it served its purpose. It was starting to rust when I sold it. I only had the truck for 3 years but I imagine it won’t last as long.

I got the stainless steel from Flo~Pro for my Canyon. I know there are different grades of SS and this must be a lower one because it’s fading in its shine. But there isn’t really any rust on it. It never came with an exhaust tip so I purchased an MBRP one and attached it. Makes it look better and does give it a little deeper sound as the original sound straight piped was lacking. It’s by no means the 6.6 V8 so it will never sound that good, but the exhaust tip did help.
I think I’ll go with the same flo pro at zzdiesel ss875 it’s like 475.00 in Indiana

·
Registered
983 Posts
Only possibly options for 2019 and 2020 deletes are from out of Canada (reliable tuners that I know of that is). MotorOps being one, although just tried looking at their site and I get an error when I try going there....??? I THINK they have 2019 and 2020 tunes, but I can't be for sure, since their site is down.

There is also this: 2016-2018 Colorado/Canyon 2.8L Duramax DPF/EGR Delete tuning
Pretty sure that is just GDE masquerading as a Canadian company, or at least having them sell their tunes. Seems very similar to theirs when they still sold delete tunes in the US. This company, HD Diesel Supply, does ship to the US btw. HOWEVER, they claim tuning only for 2016-2018 trucks.

If you are a Canadian resident though, then my suggestion on who to use would be these guys: 2016-2018 2.8L LWN Duramax Colorado/Canyon Tuners Package. – Canadian Diesel Power
Canadian Diesel Power will only sell to Canadian customers, but the person who does the tuning is very reliable. I managed to get his tunes before he quit selling in the US and I am very pleased with the truck. Have 45k miles on it tuned with 90k total. I thought I had heard they were working on tunes for both 2019 and 2020 trucks as well.

If you can't find a delete tune, DuramaxTuner does offer intact tuning for 2019 trucks (sorry 2020 guys). Found here: Duramax Colorado/Canyon 2.8L Single Tune Spade
However, you can only get a single tune; the DPS4 tunes aren't available to the 2019 trucks for some reason.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just had the full delete tune done. With exhaust replace from down tube back.
2016 Colorado with 31,000 miles 4dr long bed

LA LA LAND. right now on board display is showing 34.1 mpg with traffic lights on the highway. feels like I got a larger gas motor in it as far as takeoff power from a standstill.

just a slight but noticeable hum from the exhaust now. I had a muffler installed

will let you know what a highway trip yields soon
Just picked mine up from the tuner today I too have motor ops however I did the gm update tune 3 months ago he said that really screwed it up trying to delete motor ops said so now there trying to build a tune for my dsp4 switch to work it’s plugged in but doesn’t do anything so I’m currently on stock tune with turbo back flo pro and no def and egr unplugged and the engine light just came on and stayed lit up????!!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Just picked mine up from the tuner today I too have motor ops however I did the gm update tune 3 months ago he said that really screwed it up trying to delete motor ops said so now there trying to build a tune for my dsp4 switch to work it’s plugged in but doesn’t do anything so I’m currently on stock tune with turbo back flo pro and no def and egr unplugged and the engine light just came on and stayed lit up????!!
So don't use the DPS4 switch then. You have the autocal they gave you, correct? You can switch tunes on there. Not as "on the fly" like the switch, but still able to be done in under 1 minute. If that's the only hold up, then I wouldn't worry.

As far as the engine light, you should be able to plug in the autocal and look up the PID's (codes) and see what they are. It will give you a code and then you will have to look it up and see what the issue is. I use this site: DTCsearch.com - Search Engine for OBD-II Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)

If it's nothing major, you can clear the code. Granted, you could clear the code anyways, regardless of how severe it is, but if it was me, I would like to know what the problem is. If it is minor, clearing it may keep it gone for good. Just have to see.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So don't use the DPS4 switch then. You have the autocal they gave you, correct? You can switch tunes on there. Not as "on the fly" like the switch, but still able to be done in under 1 minute. If that's the only hold up, then I wouldn't worry.

As far as the engine light, you should be able to plug in the autocal and look up the PID's (codes) and see what they are. It will give you a code and then you will have to look it up and see what the issue is. I use this site: DTCsearch.com - Search Engine for OBD-II Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)

If it's nothing major, you can clear the code. Granted, you could clear the code anyways, regardless of how severe it is, but if it was me, I would like to know what the problem is. If it is minor, clearing it may keep it gone for good. Just have to see.
So I was tuned with my tuners V2 so I don’t have a lil tuner to keep in my truck so I guess I could buy one to a v2 or a auto cal to check codes ? So it does screw up the tune he puts in if I had my own v2 or small auto cal from motor ops ?

·
Registered
983 Posts
So I was tuned with my tuners V2 so I don’t have a lil tuner to keep in my truck so I guess I could buy one to a v2 or a auto cal to check codes ? So it does screw up the tune he puts in if I had my own v2 or small auto cal from motor ops ?
Yes. You should definitely look into getting an AutoCal from MotorOps. Not sure how that will work or the cost since you already have the truck tuned, but I would definitely talk to them about it.

·
Registered
27 Posts

I get my blk tip tomarrow I got a rbp one

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes. You should definitely look into getting an AutoCal from MotorOps. Not sure how that will work or the cost since you already have the truck tuned, but I would definitely talk to them about it.
So I have a check engine light on now tuned could I go to oreilly auto store and have the code read or will that mess up the tune?

·
Registered
983 Posts
So I have a check engine light on now tuned could I go to oreilly auto store and have the code read or will that mess up the tune?
So long as they don’t flash anything (which they shouldn’t, they aren’t a dealer), they should be able to read it and clear it. You could even get a code reader and do it yourself for future instances. An AutoCal would be preferable as it is both the tuning piece and a code reader/ data logger.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts