Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a 3 part question,

1. I have the very last version of the GDE non-compliant tune. I purchased the tune and then held off on installing it due to concerns about voiding the warranty. However, I am now ready to install it. Has anyone had issues with the newest version of EFI live not working with this now 3 year old tune?

2. I am probably going to buy the current GDE compliant tune and add the trans tune (I didn’t originally buy the trans tune.) Can I install the trans tune and use it with the old non-compliant tune?

3. Has anyone installed the new compliant tune and then flashed back to the non-compliant engine tune? Were there any problems with that?

Oh, of course, the non-compliant tune is for when I travel outside the USA.

Thanks in advance!

Terry

·
Registered
556 Posts
This is a 3 part question,

1. I have the very last version of the GDE non-compliant tune. I purchased the tune and then held off on installing it due to concerns about voiding the warranty. However, I am now ready to install it. Has anyone had issues with the newest version of EFI live not working with this now 3 year old tune?

2. I am probably going to buy the current GDE compliant tune and add the trans tune (I didn’t originally buy the trans tune.) Can I install the trans tune and use it with the old non-compliant tune?

3. Has anyone installed the new compliant tune and then flashed back to the non-compliant engine tune? Were there any problems with that?

Oh, of course, the non-compliant tune is for when I travel outside the USA.

Thanks in advance!

Terry

Hi Terry what I figured out over time is this, whatever firmware they last manipulated the tune with needs to be the same on the spade. You could install the firmware that was used and put the older tune in and it will work fine. The trans tune will work either way but you will need to purchase it from them. The problem I see, if you want to run the older tune you may need to have the trans tune with that same vintage firmware.

In the long run the only benefit between new and old tune files (and in my book it's a big one) is the older tune will turn off the ERG soot generator.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Terry what I figured out over time is this, whatever firmware they last manipulated the tune with needs to be the same on the spade. You could install the firmware that was used and put the older tune in and it will work fine. The trans tune will work either way but you will need to purchase it from them. The problem I see, if you want to run the older tune you may need to have the trans tune with that same vintage firmware.

In the long run the only benefit between new and old tune files (and in my book it's a big one) is the older tune will turn off the ERG soot generator.
Thank you for that great reply. How do I know which firmware to download? Are you also using the last “old“ version of the tune?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thank you for that great reply. How do I know which firmware to download? Are you also using the last “old“ version of the tune?
Do you still have the email they sent you with the original tune? It will have a white paper that will spell it out.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Let us know how you make out. Good luck.
FYI, I did exactly this in early 2021, after updating with the latest firmware on my AutoCal. The sequence of events went like this:

1) Emissions testing was coming due, so I finally went to the GMC dealer after getting probably 10 recall mailer cards and finally let them complete the recall. The dealer flashed the updated OEM tune on it. Drove truck home on the OEM tune with GDE's trans tune, it felt like a laggy farm tractor compared to GDE's engine tune, but at least it still shifted good ;)

2) Updated the AutoCal, bought GDE's "compliant" settings for an additional $50 fee. Even though it was only used for a week or so, It was worth it to me, I hated the stock settings that much plus I wanted to be on record has having purchased the "legal" settings. Saved the latest GM settings, then flashed it with the GDE compliant settings to pass emissions, as the shop does have to plug in to the OBD port to check emissions readiness monitors.

Drove the truck for awhile with the compliant settings to reset the monitors. The truck drove the same with the compliant settings (as far as I could casually tell) as it did with the older non compliant settings, and far better than stock. I was impressed by this, well done GDE!

3) Passed emissions on the compliant settings, flashed it back to the older non compliant settings. I plan to do this little dance until the end of time. VW was kind enough to automate the process and look what that got them :LOL:

All kidding aside, it sucks about the EPA crackdown, but GDE still offers a compliant product that greatly improves the 2.8 driving experience. I do prefer the older settings as they turn off EGR.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts