Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may or may not have seen this already but the US Army has selected GM Defense to provide their new ISV for prototype testing. Besides the body it is a diesel ZR2 underneath with most of the chevy high performance options that are commercially available to us. In an interview about it they mentioned it has zero emissions equipment on it as per the US Army and although they wouldn't give exact numbers, they disclosed that it made over 200hp.

https://www.gmdefensellc.com/site/u...infantry-squad-vehicle-prototype-testing.html

·
Registered
61 Posts
Four thoughts:

1. If they are awarded the contract, I assume they will move 2.8L Duramax manufacturing to the US; assuming they must be Berry Amendment compliant.

2. I bet they use a different transmission than anything GM currently has paired with our trucks.

3. The US Government is not bound by EPA or emissions requirements. Only us lowly tax paying citizens and most corporations are held accountable.

4. I would like the see this come to fruition, I would take light and mobile over heavy and road stricken any day.

Thanks for the post! I didn't even have a clue that it was under development.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless they change it, they're using the 6L50 right now. If they do change it up, I'm curious as to what they'll use. You're correct on everything else. I own a few military vehicles and to some degree or another there is a EPA non-compliant disclaimer for national security. We'll see what happens in the future. Atleast you know if they're testing it with these parts that odds are its some pretty good stuff. Same with the vehicle platform.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wow, I will be super surprised if they stick with the 6L50. It's a great transmission, but I don't believe it is optimized for a truck. Off the top of my head, I don't think GM has a transmission to pair with this truck... I doubt they would use anything that hasn't been tested repeatedly, nor anything over 6 speeds. Hmm, I guess they really don't have a better option than the 6L50, unless Allison is getting into the 1/4 ton market.... (dreaming)

I know the old AM General HMMWV was designed to break, and it could be easily repaired (relatively) with bolt-on applications. I can't imagine some of the maintenance equipment the Army will need to buy, like code readers and programmers, just to repair ECM and TCM issues. The more I think about it, the more interested I get.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts