Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I live in Florida.. it is currently 99 degrees,, that was never an issue.

If I were you .. I would swap the MAP sensor for one off of the larger Duramax engines. They have larger parameter ranges for readings, at altitude you are most likely to be on the edge of that table.

Next would be the subject of this thread.. eliminate the other issues caused by the mandated BS attached to your truck .

I think you will find... It works at that point.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I live in Florida.. it is currently 99 degrees,, that was never an issue.

If I were you .. I would swap the MAP sensor for one off of the larger Duramax engines. They have larger parameter ranges for readings, at altitude you are most likely to be on the edge of that table.

Next would be the subject of this thread.. eliminate the other issues caused by the mandated BS attached to your truck .

I think you will find... It works at that point.
Yes, will be eliminating other possible causes of issues beginning tomorrow morning :)

Swapping the MAP sensor for the one from the big Duramax would not work as it a totally different part, I'd have to like putty it in, LOL. It would not fix the problem anyway, it is not the sensors range or its capability to read, it is the fact the ECM got a reading from it that is outside the boundaries or what it considers to be a functioning sensor. I simply clear the code and it stays away, until the next time I go over Mosquito pass at 13,185 feet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

no "putty" is needed.it is a direct replacement with larger parameters.

As I said at altitude the stock sensor cant read the extremes.. the ECM is looking for, so it defaults tossing a code with it.

Tune, replace MAP as I said and that issue is nixed.

Unless you just want to keep clearing the code.

Do what you want to.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The only strange this I have noticed is the voltage, it is consistently now at 15.3 or 15.4 volts, which seems excessively high. I never saw anything over 13 before. But I can't imagine the tune has anything to do with that?
It is the tune and is typical of a delete tune. I think when GDE did their last delete tunes they altered it to stay fixed at 14.5.

·
Registered
29 Posts

no "putty" is needed.it is a direct replacement with larger parameters.

As I said at altitude the stock sensor cant read the extremes.. the ECM is looking for, so it defaults tossing a code with it.

Tune, replace MAP as I said and that issue is nixed.

Unless you just want to keep clearing the code.

Do what you want to.
Hum, he shows the wiring cut and re-spliced but does not mention the wiring order.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If I remember correctly there is now a direct replacement without having to wire it up. Call them they will tell you the part #.
If you do call them, please post the part number here. I am planning some road trips through some very high mountain passes and would prefer to not have the check engine light come on as it freaks out my wife.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you do call them, please post the part number here. I am planning some road trips through some very high mountain passes and would prefer to not have the check engine light come on as it freaks out my wife.
Well, it requires elevations higher than any paved pass, but Mt Evans Road or Pikes people will both do it. I talked to the tuner that did mine, and he said they tried to work with this sensor, but it was difficult and didn't produce the desired results. So I would still get the CEL. I have not tested the 12,600 mark with the tune yet, maybe it will be gone anyway?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Pikes Peak is first on the list. I also plan to go through some Rocky Mountain passes through Colorado, the Dakotas, Idaho, and Wyoming on the way to Washington state. The only one I know the actual elevation is Pikes Peak.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Go up Mt Evans (reservation required). If you want some ideas on offroad trails, I can give you some that you can do in a stock Colorado, and I few that will put some scratches on the skid plates of a ZR2 Bison, or a few that will remove the skid plates and oil plan from anything without 40" tires? Let me know the path you take through CO, and I will think of something scenic and just a little bumping though that you won't damage anything on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone know about Great White North? "Off road" tuning? Spoke to them, discussed products. thinking of tuning. Anyone here have any experience with them or know anyone that does? I can't seem to find much with the goggles as far as "reviews" or anything else. I have however seen the name mentioned in the forums. So I'd like to hear the good, bad or indifferent if anyone has anything. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone know about Great White North?

"Off road" tuning? Spoke to them, discussed products. thinking of tuning.

Anyone here have any experience with them or know anyone that does?

I can't seem to find much with the goggles as far as "reviews" or anything else.

I have however seen the name mentioned in the forums.

So I'd like to hear the good, bad or indifferent if anyone has anything.

Thanks.
I’ve got just over 15,000 miles of “off road only” use out of my truck on gwn tuning and it’s been phenomenal and I am by no means nice to my truck, I’ve had 2 other buddies who had them tuned by other companies and both of them blew up before 10k, I guess we’ll see how long it lasts but so far no issues, knock on wood!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts