Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Have you tried changing the fluid in your transmission, transfer case or differentials yet? Might see if that doesn't help.

Also, I don't know if it will help the grinding, but if you aren't tuned already, you should really look into it. It will get rid of the clunky, hard shifts. And tuners can account for your bigger tires. If I were to recommend someone, it would be Jason Hackler's tunes (hACKman customs). Can be got directly from him, or through Shield & Spear Performance who sell his tunes. I'm very happy with my truck after the ECM and TCM tunes. The driveability and confidence while driving is improved drastically.
Yep, I’ve spent a nice amount of time and money changing fluids...

I’m reluctant to try any tunes because we live in communist California and would hate to flunk a smog test... not to mention warranty concerns..

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
You could look at just doing a TCM tune. It's not common to just do that, but in your situation, you could possibly look at doing that to see if it alleviates your problems. Just an idea. I'm sure Jason would be willing to help if you were interested.

·
Registered
392 Posts
It ain’t a trans problem. It’s related to that humongous lift for sure. Still have my money on driveshaft. It’ll break eventually and then we will know where it was coming from
Uh, what RCD said.

RCD, do you miss it? I know we would.

We're still a one four wheel vehicle couple. It does everything, large and small, that we need it for. We supplement with my motorcycle, a homemade e bike, a home made e mini bike with Bob trailer (both cool with St. Louis PD), pedal bikes, and Metrolink. Love the garage space for a rolling work bench....

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Uh, what RCD said.

RCD, do you miss it? I know we would.

We're still a one four wheel vehicle couple. It does everything, large and small, that we need it for. We supplement with my motorcycle, a homemade e bike, a home made e mini bike with Bob trailer (both cool with St. Louis PD), pedal bikes, and Metrolink. Love the garage space for a rolling work bench....
Nah man, sure don’t. Don’t want to hijack buddy’s thread, though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Colorado is doing the same thing. I have a 2016 with 44000 miles it has a ppei tune with TCM tuning. I have a 2 inch lift from Bilstein 5100 RHA shocks. I'm running the equivalent of a 32 inch tall Tire . When I am in tune 4 and passing a car it does the same thing. Currently I leave it on tune 3 and doesn't seem to have the issue. I'm going to take my transmission in for a service in the next month or so. I'm sticking around to see if anybody else has the issue and finds the fix.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
My Colorado is doing the same thing. I have a 2016 with 44000 miles it has a ppei tune with TCM tuning. I have a 2 inch lift from Bilstein 5100 RHA shocks. I'm running the equivalent of a 32 inch tall Tire . When I am in tune 4 and passing a car it does the same thing. Currently I leave it on tune 3 and doesn't seem to have the issue. I'm going to take my transmission in for a service in the next month or so. I'm sticking around to see if anybody else has the issue and finds the fix.
Have you talked to your tuner to see if they can do anything. Also, do you have the tire size adjustment for the speedometer and transmission from your tuner?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have you talked to your tuner to see if they can do anything. Also, do you have the tire size adjustment for the speedometer and transmission from your tuner?
I have not contacted ppei but I am going too.
The speedometer has been corrected for my current tire size.
I was really hoping it was something simple like transmission fluid just needing replaced. I keep an eye on my transmission temperature constantly and I've seen it as high as a 190 degrees which I wasn't too happy about I actually pulled over and let the transmission cool.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have not contacted ppei but I am going too.
The speedometer has been corrected for my current tire size.
I was really hoping it was something simple like transmission fluid just needing replaced. I keep an eye on my transmission temperature constantly and I've seen it as high as a 190 degrees which I wasn't too happy about I actually pulled over and let the transmission cool.
The high temperatures on the transmission have been discussed on here, the other group and the facebook pages I believe. While it isn't pretty, I believe it has been mostly agreed on that it is still in the normal range for our little transmissions. I could be wrong, but I do remember us discussing it on here somewhere and that was the general consensus. I believe if you get close to...220-240 is where you need to be worried.

As I said, I switched over to Amsoil fluid. However, I haven't had very warm temperatures around here to see how warm it runs now.

Also, I know that the engine temperature on the dash cluster reads about 25 degrees over what my autocal reads. I don't know if the transmission is true, or if it runs higher than it actually is. I believe many have agreed on that the engine temp is just a "dummy gauge" to some degree.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The high temperatures on the transmission have been discussed on here, the other group and the facebook pages I believe. While it isn't pretty, I believe it has been mostly agreed on that it is still in the normal range for our little transmissions. I could be wrong, but I do remember us discussing it on here somewhere and that was the general consensus. I believe if you get close to...220-240 is where you need to be worried.

As I said, I switched over to Amsoil fluid. However, I haven't had very warm temperatures around here to see how warm it runs now.

Also, I know that the engine temperature on the dash cluster reads about 25 degrees over what my autocal reads. I don't know if the transmission is true, or if it runs higher than it actually is. I believe many have agreed on that the engine temp is just a "dummy gauge" to some degree.
Good to know!

I'll plug in my auto cal and compare this afternoon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Since I have been reading this post, I have been keeping my eyes on the temp. It fluctuate between 185 and 190 for the last week since I have been watching. What temp is it suppose to be at if 190 is a concern?
Depends on who you ask lol
I have seen if it breaks 200 its not good on it.
There are others that say 220 is on the high side but still considered normal if the truck is Towing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I have 140,000 miles on it now and regularly tow a 7000 pound trailer long distance through mountain passes.

To date, nothing has failed in the drivetrain. The grinding problem is still present if I punch the throttle from a dead stop while towing.

Local transmission shop has no idea what could be the cause without a tear down, so I’ll just keep driving it till an issue develops.

Still love this little truck and she has aged well!

Cloud Sky Tire Car Wheel

Tire Cloud Sky Wheel Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle Car

·
Registered
8 Posts
2018 canyon with 125k miles and just a 1.5” add a leaf for payload / tongue weight correction. Stock tires. No grinding (until recently) but I’ve had a Really bad clunking noise (videos don’t do it justice but it’s violent as hell) Usually at Hwy speeds, always up an incline. I have the GDE tune and love it but it started happening about 5-10k miles after installing it. Went back to stock tune to see if it still happens and yes it does. Drained diff and transfer case fluid but other then some shavings on the diff magnet nothin unusual. I was going to pull the diff cover but a friend test drive it and got the clunk to happen with a grinding, Speedo went from 65-140 mph, rpm’s did the same, kept grinding for a few seconds with total loss of power and eventually hooked up and went away. Friend says it’s T case but we will see. I guess I will start paying for AAA again and keep going

·
Registered
392 Posts
2018 canyon with 125k miles and just a 1.5” add a leaf for payload / tongue weight correction. Stock tires. No grinding (until recently) but I’ve had a Really bad clunking noise (videos don’t do it justice but it’s violent as hell) Usually at Hwy speeds, always up an incline. I have the GDE tune and love it but it started happening about 5-10k miles after installing it. Went back to stock tune to see if it still happens and yes it does. Drained diff and transfer case fluid but other then some shavings on the diff magnet nothin unusual. I was going to pull the diff cover but a friend test drive it and got the clunk to happen with a grinding, Speedo went from 65-140 mph, rpm’s did the same, kept grinding for a few seconds with total loss of power and eventually hooked up and went away. Friend says it’s T case but we will see. I guess I will start paying for AAA again and keep going
Did the grinding and/or the clunking noise start at or near the time of the leaf addition?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts