Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
My Jap bikes were all bullet proof. My 2.8 seems solid. This 3.0 seems to have some interesting engineering solutions to problems none of us asked to fixed. IMHO it has "Designed by EPA- Built by GM using the best parts from the lowest bidders possible" written all over it.
I agree
And to top it off .... FTL did a comparison between the Chev 3.0 and the Ram Eco Diesel 3.0
and all the added BS on the Chev only netted 1 mile per gal...... And a much lower tow rating...
My experience with Dodge Chrysler tells me to run not walk away from there product....
But in this case I don’t understand what Chevy is thinking.
A variable oil pump and selective cooling.
A rubber belt running in hot oil!!
Sounds like trouble.
Dont get me wrong, I hope it works out for the Chev.
As for the Ram, this is there 3rd attempt at getting this 3.0 diesel right. The HP and Torque are way up from previous versions. As with the tow capacity...

As far as people wanting diesels. There is a huge reason here in Canada......
Fuel costs....... Our price of fuel can be twice the price of our American friends price.
So when I am not towing and simply driving to and from work, my diesel truck saves me a bundle.
I personally can’t afford fuel for a full sized truck. So my last 4 trucks have been Ford Rangers.. Had good luck with them but the gas milage was horrible.... At 20mpg...
My Colorado gets 30mpg.
And pulls my Toy hauler and utility trailer with ease.
I brought home multiple loads of firewood in a dual axle dump trailer. It was extremely heavy.

I have had the back of my truck and my utility trailer loaded well beyond max.
I buy a truck because I need a truck......
So far I have been very happy with the Colorado.
And pulling my toy hauler half way across the country loaded to over 6000lbs seemed a bit abusive climbing the long hills but it did it with no issues....

Around here winter is very nasty. Massive amount of salt used on the roads. Freezing rain is common and 4x4 is a must....

I thought I read that we had active shudders on the twins ......

Rob

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I am not positively certain if the Colorado/Canyon have active air shutters or not. I am sure that I won't own anything with the GM 3.0 in it. It may well be that the modern diesel is at an end as a viable option.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I bought my 4x4 Denali canyon to prove my masculinity. Ok, half kidding...

I only tow on occasion,and go off-road/overland every chance I get. I had a Jeep that I love, but not enough storage space fora week worth of dirt. I had a tundra that had all the storage space I want but it was too big on some of the trails I like to squeeze into. I wanted something that was a cross from my Jeep and my tundra.The canyon shortbed for the bill perfectly. Got rid of Jeep and tundra and welcome Canyon. I got the Denali because, why not? A little extra chrome never hurt anybody. so far the Canyon have been everything I need and want in a all around work and play vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I really don’t “get” how, in 2020, people think that trucks have to be used for work or your just a poseur. I grew up on a farm out in the sticks, I’m about as country as you can get, and I personally think it’s cool when urban/suburban folks buy trucks, lift them, put big ass tires on, etc etc. I‘d sure as heck rather have that kinda vehicle than a BMW or Lexus or some other fancy car. The only bad part of all that truck popularity is that it’s jacked the prices up like crazy.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I really don’t “get” how, in 2020, people think that trucks have to be used for work or your just a poseur. I grew up on a farm out in the sticks, I’m about as country as you can get, and I personally think it’s cool when urban/suburban folks buy trucks, lift them, put big ass tires on, etc etc. I‘d sure as heck rather have that kinda vehicle than a BMW or Lexus or some other fancy car. The only bad part of all that truck popularity is that it’s jacked the prices up like crazy.

·
Registered
148 Posts
[I really don’t “get” how, in 2020, people think that trucks have to be used for work or your just a poseur. I grew up on a farm out in the sticks, I’m about as country as you can get, and I personally think it’s cool when urban/suburban folks buy trucks, lift them, put big ass tires on, etc etc. I‘d sure as heck rather have that kinda vehicle than a BMW or Lexus or some other fancy car. The only bad part of all that truck popularity is that it’s jacked the prices up like crazy.

Because, like you said, they are poseurs. IMO, so are ANY vehicle owners who buy mainly for affectation. If you have to pay for that kind of happiness, you are pretty pitiful. And then, you end up derided, like the super senior 'Vette owners with their rugs blowing in the breeze. That's why so many of those luxe cars are leases. Show, over go. Not for me....

·
Registered
188 Posts
A modern diesel truck is not a lifestyle vehicle. They are not reliable if used for commuting in traffic, Short trips/errands, and other daily driver activities. New buyers see the advertised MPG and think they can can have a big lifted truck with tires and everything else and thing because its a diesel it will be efficient. Guess what, it's not reliable or efficient when used like this.

Unfortunately many of the people who end up on here complaining about issues with these trucks is because they are using them as a lifestyle vehicle.Get a small gas car for a lifestyle vehicle and use a truck for truck stuff. Hauling, Camping, Towing, ETC...

·
Registered
90 Posts
A modern diesel truck is not a lifestyle vehicle. They are not reliable if used for commuting in traffic, Short trips/errands, and other daily driver activities. New buyers see the advertised MPG and think they can can have a big lifted truck with tires and everything else and thing because its a diesel it will be efficient. Guess what, it's not reliable or efficient when used like this.

Unfortunately many of the people who end up on here complaining about issues with these trucks is because they are using them as a lifestyle vehicle.Get a small gas car for a lifestyle vehicle and use a truck for truck stuff. Hauling, Camping, Towing, ETC...
Especially the way they are built today. All that pollution crap makes owning a diesel a lot different than it was a few years ago. Baby a new diesel and you may end up paying a price and blaming the MFG.

If there is one thing a HATE it’s these people putting low profile tires on big rims .
It looks GROSS...
Pimped out trucks. WTF
Low profile tires is a sure sign of a poser... Yeh hit a small bump with that shiit on a truck and the rim is toast...
Only thing that setup is good for is idling down the road holding up traffic.....
And don’t forget to turn the bass up....

Rob

·
Registered
554 Posts
I drive my canyon around town and run errands. And my truck came stocked with low profile tires and factory 20” rims. I have taken it ghost town and homestead exploring. It is an everyday vehicle to do everything I want or need to do. I don’t see anything wrong with it. But I guess to each their own.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I drive my canyon around town and run errands. And my truck came stocked with low profile tires and factory 20” rims. I have taken it ghost town and homestead exploring. It is an everyday vehicle to do everything I want or need to do. I don’t see anything wrong with it. But I guess to each their own.
Your factory tires don’t come close to what most call low profile....

·
Registered
554 Posts
Your factory tires don’t come close to what most call low profile....
Very true, it is not as low as some. But at a 55 ratio, it is quite low. I prefer 15”-18” rims but I don’t see a need to replace my rims until I break them. And I will continue to use my diesel to haul my kids to school and haul groceries home.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Very true, it is not as low as some. But at a 55 ratio, it is quite low. I prefer 15”-18” rims but I don’t see a need to replace my rims until I break them. And I will continue to use my diesel to haul my kids to school and haul groceries home.
This is what I am talking about.
This is ugly............ to me....

They stick out to far and there is t enough rubber
How can anyone think this is good looking?

·
Registered
90 Posts
This site is not iPad friendly
when you upload an image It asks...... Thumb nail or full image.
If you touch full image it adds another copy of the picture...
Then if you try and delete the copy they both disappear.

where is the EDIT BUTTON ????

·
Registered
90 Posts
And I see a lot of these low profile tires where the sidewalls are bowed out so bad bec the tire is to narrow for the rim...
Guys it looks like shiit

·
Registered
90 Posts
Speaking again about
Breaking In A Diesel
There is all kinds of these right from the shops that rebuild diesel motors...
And a rebuilt diesel is essentially the same as a new diesel motor....

Funny why it would be any different than breaking in a gas motor.
And there is no way I would break in a gas motor this way.......

Rob

21 - 40 of 46 Posts