Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone on one of the Facebook pages went and posted a picture of this brush guard for a Canyon. I imagine it would work on a Colorado too, but not positive. I really like the look of it. Looks like Ranch Hand style grille without the steel bumper. I like the idea of a steel bumper, but I like the looks of my stock bumper too. Also, I have a friend who works as an insurance adjuster doing vehicle claims and he said that if you run into something soft like a deer, a steel bumper is great. But if you run into something like another car, it’s not so much. Since all the crash test stuff is done on vehicles that are made to crumple like a can when they crash to absorb shock and save you, rather than save the vehicle. Which is why I have looked pretty hard at this brush guard.

I did hear from one guy that said brush guards don’t do much good when you hit something like a deer. They just cause more damage because they don’t hold up and smash they stuff they were supposed to protect. He said that this is especially true in low-speed collisions? What do you guys think though, is this true?

Also, if you also like this bumper, I believe the guy called the company (Orig Equipment) and while they do not advertise this bumper on the website, they do sell them for the Canyons (and Colorados maybe?) and they sell for around $585.

22549599_10155249933436359_3211603348332570807_n.jpg
22528071_10155249933511359_5551946658379826153_n.jpg

·
Registered
128 Posts
WELL, IT DEPENDS ON THE BUMPER. SOME ARE REALLY STOUT. LIKE HOLD ALL YOUR WEIGHT AND NOT EVEN FLEX KIND OF STOUT. OTHERS, YOU CAN JUST PUSH AND THE WHOLE CORNER WILL BEND IN. I'D WANT TO SEE IT IN PERSON TO GIVE IT THE OLE "LEAN TEST" BEFORE I BOUGHT ONE, BUT IT DOES LOOK GOOD

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If I’m going to hang something that huge off the front of my truck it better be apocalypse strong. If you can’t plow zombies or deer at ramming speed without stopping to check for damage then it isn’t apocalypse strong.

But when skynet takes over then onstar will zap all of our trucks into limp mode so we will be plowing zombies at 7mph anyway

·
Registered
128 Posts
BAHAHA YEAH. IM LOOKING FOR APOCOLYPSE STRONG TOO... I HAD A TRUCK WITH A BUMPER THAT WEIGHTED A LITTLE OVER 300 POUNDS. SEE A DEER, HIT THE GAS PEDAL. NOT WORRIED ABOUT ANYTHING

·
Registered
179 Posts
ARIES makes a nice one that I installed on my ZR2 for $580.00 and it does seem strong enough to handle a straight on deer strike but the corners(headlight guards) might be a little too flexible but at least I'll be able to drive the truck home. Hope I never find out.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Someone on one of the Facebook pages went and posted a picture of this brush guard for a Canyon. I imagine it would work on a Colorado too, but not positive. I really like the look of it. Looks like Ranch Hand style grille without the steel bumper. I like the idea of a steel bumper, but I like the looks of my stock bumper too. Also, I have a friend who works as an insurance adjuster doing vehicle claims and he said that if you run into something soft like a deer, a steel bumper is great. But if you run into something like another car, it’s not so much. Since all the crash test stuff is done on vehicles that are made to crumple like a can when they crash to absorb shock and save you, rather than save the vehicle. Which is why I have looked pretty hard at this brush guard.

I did hear from one guy that said brush guards don’t do much good when you hit something like a deer. They just cause more damage because they don’t hold up and smash they stuff they were supposed to protect. He said that this is especially true in low-speed collisions? What do you guys think though, is this true?

Also, if you also like this bumper, I believe the guy called the company (Orig Equipment) and while they do not advertise this bumper on the website, they do sell them for the Canyons (and Colorados maybe?) and they sell for around $585.

View attachment 5449 View attachment 5457

Burgess, do you happen to know how much weight it adds? Our vehicles are pretty burley for mid sizers, but we can't just blow off GVWR and pay load like I could on my old K2500.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Burgess, do you happen to know how much weight it adds? Our vehicles are pretty burley for mid sizers, but we can't just blow off GVWR and pay load like I could on my old K2500.
If you add weight to the front, it balances out so you can add more weight to the back, right? ;);)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agree with RockCrawler haha. but no I don't. The OP never said. I figure it's not a lot though. I mean, hopefully it's enough to withstand a deer hit though.

To answer your question, bigoilbob:

A FabFours Vengeance bumper, their lighter bumper for a Canyon/ Colorado is 65 lbs. for just the bumper and 75 with a pre-runner guard. I can't find the weight for the Canyon Premium bumper they offer, but the Colorado version says it weighs 160 lbs. It' doesn't specify if that is for the bumper only, with pre-runner or with full-guard. It is heavier gauge steel though.

So, I figure if their bumper with grille guards weigh that much, then the one I shared ought to weigh less than that, say 50-60 lbs?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts