Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchase a set of Hellwig Helper springs (1000 lb) for my 2016 quad cab short bed diesel. They do not fit this truck as claimed. I spoke with Hellwig directly and they first said yes they should fit. After sending pictures of the issues they agreed they do not. The factory spring clips are in the way of the mounting point. Said they needed to send pics their engineers to find out what was going on but never got a resolution. They sent me a return shipping label and are refunding my money. Between my truck cap and roll out bed and equipment in the back i am carrying around 800 lbs. The issue i have is the rear suspension keeps hitting the bump stops on bumpy roads. Thought the helper springs would solve my problem. Cant seem to find any other options. Has anyone beefed up their rear springs? Was also going to install the Hellwig sway bar but based the thread i just read it sounds like that unit has fitment issues also.Regards Bill

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I have add a leafs from autospring. Easy to install. They do add about 1" of height but if you are carrying that much weight all the time it'll probably be just the right amount of height. My trailer has 800lb tongue weight and it only squats an inch with these springs

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yes, those are the ones. Got about 1.25" lift from them after they settled.

I recently posted a pic in the towing thread with them holding up 800lb tongue weight, scale verified. Normally the truck sits 1" high in the rear and it's level in the pic.

Add a leafs go between your leaf pack and your overload leaf. you'll need a floor jack, jack stands and some tools.

Put her in 4x4 and park and chock em so she will hold steady. Do one side at a time. Support the frame on jack stands. Support the axle under the pumpkin. Unbolt the lower shock bolt and the axle u bolts. Watch for brake lines and abs wires and lower the jack slowly until you have a few inch gap between the axle and the leaf springs. Then you'll pull the center pin and the leafs come apart. Pull the overload leaf out, put the new leaf in the correct direction. Then you'll punch out the roll pin in the overload and reassemble. A big clamp or a big set of channel locks will help with getting the center pin in because the new leaf has more arch to it. Instructions should tell you the torque specs but I think 100-110lb ft should be about right.

IMG_5767.JPG

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx rock crawler dude! Looks like what i need!. My trailer tongue weight is 600 lbs. I got a weight distribution hitch for towing and it works great but it sounds like i wont need it with this set up. Thx for your input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts