Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, my name is James and I have decided it is time for me to start looking for a new vehicle. My current truck is a 2011 GMC Sierra with an 8 inch suspension lift and 35's. As you can probably guess, I am starting to get a little tired of the hassle of driving this truck. That being said, I absolutely love this truck. I have had this truck for 100,000 miles with only two minor issues that were both resolved within a day.

I am primarily looking for a nice trail truck. I go fishing in very remote bodies of water and it can be quite a challenge to get there in my big truck. The Duramax Colorado caught my eye because it's so unique and the mpg's are appealing. Honestly, I do not need the Duramax Colorado for work because I always have access to my dad's 2500 Dmax. I am planning on test driving the Colorado this weekend and I am expecting to be impressed by the torque and comfort. However, I am quite concerned about potential issues. When I buy a vehicle, I keep it for quite a while and I really hope to keep my next vehicle even longer than my current truck. Will this Duramax Colorado really be reliable for 150-200k miles? I would love to hear feedback from you all and your opinions.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
You want to be convinced? You’ve come to the right place. Most of us love our trucks from what I’ve gathered. They’re good little trucks and, as you said, pretty unique. I walked out of the store with a jug of def and this guy asked me twenty questions about my truck. Stuff like that happens all the time. Mpg are great for a truck but not outstanding when you consider it’s a diesel and a small truck (4770lb on the scale) if i take towing out of the picture I get about 25mpg combined.

Most of the trucks seem to be doing pretty well. As with all new models/platforms there are some problems that pop up and we have seen some around here. Longevity remains to be seen as we don’t have any high mileage members that I know of

All that being said, if I didn’t need a truck I would’ve bought a car. For what the sticker prices are on these things you have a hell of a lot of car and plenty of money leftover

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
What RCD said. I have 34,000 on mine currently and the only problems I've had are kind of my own fault: cracked windshield (apparently though these windshields are either very thin, or just don't have a good angle on them to deflect debris without cracking) and a broken taillight and dinged up bumper and bedside from a winter snow storm accident :(

Other than that though, I have not had any problems with my 2017 Canyon All Terrain.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I love driving mine but ultimately wish I would have bought an older pre-emission F250 with a Powerstroke engine and totally rebuilt it for about half the cost of my Colorado - thats if I were still looking for a diesel.

Forget about the mileage, yes its a little better (but seriously not that much) than the V6 however the extra cost for the diesel engine/fuel/maintenance buys one hell of a lot of gas and unless you are constantly on the road will not really see a lot of savings.

Reliability? I suspect you can get the 150-200K life out of the engine that you want but can't prove it, I don't think its life is any longer than a well cared for gas engine. The newer ULSD diesel supposedly causes more wear on the engines, and the emissions/DEF sensors that seem to be finicky putting the vehicle in a federally mandated 'limp mode' when things go wrong may leave you stranded in the backwoods (yes its a remote possibility but still possible).

RockCrawlerDude is right-on in with his 'get a car' suggestion and I'd add to that - get an AWD (~$30K) that can tow a small trailer hauling a used quad runner for the back woods trails :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Run with the truck if that is your thing everyone talks about the cost of diesel and yes that does bring the cost of ownership higher the engine will likely have a longer life span and over time it is a more effient engine. I recently drove a 1500 switch the v8 that runs in v4 mode but the mileage was at best 18 mpg. Same drive course my furnace Colorado gets 25 to 26 mpg.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts