Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering installing an HID light kit on my truck but don't know where to look...I have the projector lights and believe all I have to is change the bulbs and mount the ballast (I have done this conversion on other vehicles)...any thoughts?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm looking into it with a guy I know that sells the kits. I'll update this once I find out more info. He said the hid was the way to go with the factory projectors as he said the LED bulbs don't work as well in the housings.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am considering installing an HID light kit on my truck but don't know where to look...I have the projector lights and believe all I have to is change the bulbs and mount the ballast (I have done this conversion on other vehicles)...any thoughts?
I bought a Morimoto HID system. I thought I was getting bulbs for the high beams, but it turns out they were for the low beams. I was a little irritated when I found out...too late. The system is complex was a bear to install. I turned the job over to a buddy who is a master at such things. It took him 6 hours! But he did such a great job concealing the wires, ballasts, capacitors, exciters, etc., that only one thing is slightly visible. The Chevy mechanics will not even notice. But since the damn low beams come on as daytime running lights, they are burning all the time.

It is very bright and I get a lot of "Dim it Dummy" flashes. I emailed them (they don't have a phone, probably so wuffos like me don't call and bug them) and they said I could put an identical system with different bulbs in the bright sockets. Too damn much work and my buddy wouldn't do it. So I got some high beam LEDs from Superbrightleds.com. I am in line for more of my buddies time and I will report on them. Basically they plug and play, but one must install a resistor to ground as the LED's are so efficient the wizard in the electrical system thinks the bulbs are burned out and gives an error message.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I’m running Kensun HIDs 35w 6000k in the lows/projectors and LEDs in the highs. You will need a relay unless you are running a Gen5DYI DRL harness. If you use 55w you will need a relay no matter what. Gen5DYI have a version of the harness with relay. I’m running it. HIDs are the way to go for the lows. Nice hot spot.

LEDs in the highs work just fine, plug and play. I run Hikari, very bright hot spot. Not sure why some people are saying you need a resistor. Cheap LEDs maybe?

I’ve tried LEDs in the lows and they can’t even break 500 lumens at the hot spot. Projectors greatly hurt them. Stock hot spot is in around 700-800 for reference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’m running Kensun HIDs 35w 6000k in the lows/projectors and LEDs in the highs. You will need a relay unless you are running a Gen5DYI DRL harness. If you use 55w you will need a relay no matter what. Gen5DYI have a version of the harness with relay. I’m running it. HIDs are the way to go for the lows. Nice hot spot.

LEDs in the highs work just fine, plug and play. I run Hikari, very bright hot spot. Not sure why some people are saying you need a resistor. Cheap LEDs maybe?

I’ve tried LEDs in the lows and they can’t even break 500 lumens at the hot spot. Projectors greatly hurt them. Stock hot spot is in around 700-800 for reference.

I called Superbrightleds.com and asked about the necessity of the resistor kit. The technician assured me that the resistor is necessary because the LEDs use so little electricity, not because they are cheap. The resistors are actually in parallel with the bulbs, so some of the current goes through the bulb and then back negative(ground) and some goes through the resistor and back to negative(ground). That way there is enough electricity being drawn so the computer thinks there is a working bulb on the line. In reality the effect is the same. But the resistor must be mounted to metal because it gets hot enough to melt plastic. But heat is the issue, not being grounded. But he assured me, that on the new Colorados, just changing the bulb will end up generating a error code and the check engine light.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here is my report on Morimoto HID's in the low beams and Superbright LED's on the high beams.
The Morimotos are very bright as I mentioned above. The LED's and not quite as bright when both are shining on a wall a 100' away, but they light up the road a long damn way. I have a Porsche GTS with HID's all the way around and on a lonely deserted highway in the middle of nowhere, they are the best. This set up is not quite as bright but the whole project including $300 installation labor cost $600 and the dynamic LED's on the Deutschland road monster cost $6K extra. If I had gone HID all the way around the labor and parts would have been $900. And a few more 30 packs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am similarly annoyed by the Auto On feature. I don't want those expensive new bulbs burning needlessly. I just try to remember to flick them off when I fire up in the daylight hours. It would be nice if they had the string of LED daylight running lights between the headlights and the turn/fog lights. I think the Silverados are that way. Thankfully there is no"Auto Start" feature on our trucks. My wife has to turn that off on her Porsche every time she starts it. With mine I just turned it off when I drove it off the lot and it stays that way until you want it to function (God only knows why one would want that...I can't help but wonder how long a starter would last!).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts