Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Went on two long summer trips, 4 days covering 2200 miles with most of it through super humid Oklahoma as well at hot West Texas. AC didn’t ice up but we kept it no lower than 72 on the climate control.

Also, my screen hasn’t had a problem since that one time issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am curious who has put the most miles on their Canyon / Colorado Diesel so far. Please post your miles so far and any problems you have had.
49km in two years 2017 canyon diesel, no major troubles, installed skid plate found better for gravel roads. just the Def had a pinched hose, and next was a DEF recall. No issues since and great customer service at dealership.

·
Registered
22 Posts
OK guys.....I'm 95% committed to buying a 2019 Colorado ZR2 Diesel. Does anyone know if any of these issues addressed on this thread have been resolved at this point? I'm getting a decent deal ($39.5K otd) but I've never owned a diesel anything and it seems like these engines have more than thier fair share of issues, especially the exhaust systems. It's not too late for me to go with the V-6 as I haven't taken delivery yet (supposed to pick it up this weekend).

So, would you buy another one of these?

Dave

·
Registered
22 Posts
OK guys.....I'm 95% committed to buying a 2019 Colorado ZR2 Diesel. Does anyone know if any of these issues addressed on this thread have been resolved at this point? I'm getting a decent deal ($39.5K otd) but I've never owned a diesel anything and it seems like these engines have more than thier fair share of issues, especially the exhaust systems. It's not too late for me to go with the V-6 as I haven't taken delivery yet (supposed to pick it up this weekend).

Dave
Update: I'm pulling the trigger BUT....... I am also looking at purchasing an extended warranty from CarChex. Six year/100K miles bumper to bumper incl. emissions system coverage (very important!), 24x7 roadside assistance, rental car and $100 deductible for $3K. I'm feeling pretty good about not getting "stuck" with any major repair bills for the foreseeable future. I just hope I don't have a bunch of nuisance problems that are more PITA than anything else!

If anyone is interested I will post the sample contract when I get it. Has anyone here had any experience with CarChex?

·
Registered
5 Posts
2017, 27K+ in 19 months of ownership w/no mechanical problems to date. I do have some odd film from dried condensation on the inside of the headlights that the dealer says is *normal* - I disagree because normal is 'clear/clean' but I lost that fight.

Edit: updated the mileage and adding that I still have random rough shifts at low speeds in gears 1-3 mainly stop-n-go traffic when accelerating, the trans just doesn't seem to know where it needs to be an then abruptly shifts, dealer is calling it 'normal'...
I had moisture in one of my

Dave
I would definitely buy another one.

·
Registered
179 Posts

Dave
So far, my DEF issues have been fixed. Other than what I reported in an earlier thread, all is well and am still happy with my purchase. I have only 35K on the truck at this time and I avg. 27 mpg in normal everyday driving. Mac:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
75000 Miles 2017 Z71 Colorado 2.8Duromax Diesel in good working order. issues yes bad gas mileage, yes issues with vibrating on final gear
dealer fixed sensor, went away driver side seat separation, got myself extended warranty. hope she will reach 200K happy truck, had a few Frontiers
with 250K miles, however love my Chevy. any upcoming service I should look for at 80K?
thanks guys and gals.

·
Registered
39 Posts
2018 zr2 30k.... new def pump early on, that was a ***** to find. That caused problems for awhile, usually two hours into a trip in the middle of nowhere. The defrost diverter quit working they had to tear my entire dash apart now there’s rattles!!
Had a coolant sensor fail in the White Mountains of AZ, that was a real pos experience being 250 miles from a dealer that was open. I only had a 175 mile limp mode. And to top it all off the turbo took a s***t.

I love this truck, it’s had it’s trouble but the way it performs and what it can do on and off road especially the mileage, and the way it tows it’s tits!! There’s nothing like it on the market.... it’s unique and you have to be willing to put up with it. It’s a new platform it will take sometime to work out the bugs. If it will let me I’ll put 300k on it

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 2017 Z71, 4WD, crew cab diesel has 34,500 miles in 27 months. Just returned from a 3,450 road trip from Phoenix to Seattle and back. One mysterious problem in Utah, after about 600 miles the emission system posted a message "unsatisfactory DEF fluid, 99 miles to 65 mph restriction, see manual, go to dealer". It took over my display so I couldn't see my mph or anything. I was about 80 miles from Provo, so thought I would find a dealer there. After about 30 miles I decided to pull off and read the manual. I was really no help, just a series of messages with speed reductions eventually down to 5 mph. After sitting for about 15 minutes, I started up and got the same message and returned to driving. After about 5 miles, the message went away and never appeared again! I have been using Peak Blue DEF after realizing it was about half the dealer price for AC/Delco DEF, never had a problem. Message never returned, added a gallon more of Blue DEF in Boise and continued the rest of the trip without issue. That's the only issues I have had in 27 months. I'll ask the dealer about the message next time I'm due for service, but from what I've read here, most dealers don't know much about the diesels and especially about emissions issues. Love the truck. 3,450 miles on this trip over 13 days, average 27.9 mpg due to a lot of 78-81 mph speeds, the mileage will go over 30 mpg if I hold speed down to 75 mph or less. Only thing I can think of is it was fairly cold (40 degrees) and the truck is used to 100+ in Phoenix. Also, I was going up and down hills at high speed with the cruise control on and I have read about some emission problems here with cruise on going up and down hills, but usually it during pulling a trailer. I pull about a 5,000 lb. travel trailer with cruise all the time with cruise on going 60-65, never had a problem.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I received poor quality DEF messages one time after just opening the cap and reinstalling it to “look inside.” It went away after about 5 miles and has not to date returned.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I received poor quality DEF messages one time after just opening the cap and reinstalling it to “look inside.” It went away after about 5 miles and has not to date returned.
Boy.... that sounds oddly familiar, when you go in for service have them check the def pump make sure it’s putting out a constant pressure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am curious who has put the most miles on their Canyon / Colorado Diesel so far. Please post your miles so far and any problems you have had.[/QUOTEI have a 2018 with 57260 miles on it only issue is leather seat has ripped on side but truck is great love it

·
Registered
4 Posts
My names Clayton.
At 52k my engine threw a #4 rod out the side of the block. GM under warranty replaced the block. But now I have Been having injector failures ever since so far: replaced #1 injector, ECM, then #4 injector, ECM again. And now it’s in the shop for another check engine light for the #2 injector and the truck now has 63k, out side of warranty and the dealership will not cover anymore repairs. Has any one has issues like this. Also does anyone know anything about how I should move forward now that the truck is outside of warranty. It’s the 2016 Colorado 2.8l

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am curious who has put the most miles on their Canyon / Colorado Diesel so far. Please post your miles so far and any problems you have had.
I have a 2016 GMC AllTerrain, with 178796 miles on it. Minimal amount of problems. Every 5 to 7K miles get a O2 sensor trouble light. Clear the code and go on. Never use DEF out of the ground, only fresh from the bottle. Tuned with Duramax tuners from Chicago, run on the 2nd tune only, and that is the only upgrade. Cannot get the service 4 wheel drive light off. Has been to the mechanic, changed the switch and module to help. Light comes on, hit ignore and off I go. If you drive this truck and put miles on it, problems go down, if you putt around in it they go up. A diesel is meant to be driven.
Fuel mileage mid 20's to 30, depending on conditions.
Tow a trailer with 8K pounds on it no problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys. I have a 2018 Colorado z71, 22k so far. No issues. I came from a full-size and am enjoying the midsize. Everyday life is easier. I like to keep my truck in our garage. The full-size fit but was a pain. This fits and is much easier around town. Ride is decent but full-size was better. Overall I’m happy with the 2.8. I tow a 6300 lbs Crownline. While the gas v6 could do it, I didn't even consider the gas version. It was 2.8 or sticking with my full-size. I had a 2012 Sierra 5.3 with the tow pkg and I’d say the 2.8 does much better than my 5.3. It’s been the best tow vehicle I’ve owned. The 5.3 was always struggling while the 2.8 just holds its gear. We’ve had no problems so far. I plan to keep the engine stock. If you have to tow larger loads I highly recommend the 2.8.

81 - 100 of 127 Posts