Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
2018 midnight edition zr2 deisal bought with three Hundo fifty miles have had it four months and used 80% hwy commute 20% off road for real the wife’s car is used for intown trips and now I am at thirteen thousand miles and nothing has gone wrong or needed work other than oil changes and tire rotations but the deff cap can be a little tuff to get off

·
Registered
4 Posts
2017 with 38.800 miles...engine just blew up this weekend with a hole in the engine block. GM is replacing. Loved the truck until then...now thinking of trading. Thoughts?

·
Registered
983 Posts
2017 with 38.800 miles...engine just blew up this weekend with a hole in the engine block. GM is replacing. Loved the truck until then...now thinking of trading. Thoughts?
What were you doing when it blew up? Is it tuned or stock. Anything not stock about your truck? Just wondering.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What were you doing when it blew up? Is it tuned or stock. Anything not stock about your truck? Just wondering.
All stock...driving on highway...mostly use as daily driver occasionally towing boat or junk trailer...had all routine maintenance done on schedule.

·
Registered
983 Posts
All stock...driving on highway...mostly use as daily driver occasionally towing boat or junk trailer...had all routine maintenance done on schedule.
Run any fuel additives? And you had GM do the oil changes for you or you did them yourself with your choice of oil.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Not a whole lot to go on there...However, punching a hole in the block is some serious damage. Last time I punched a hole in an engine block was on an old ZX-11 Ninja doing 175 mph. Those had oiling issues, I found out later. I did spin a main or rod bearing on my 1990 Z71 with a throttle body fed 350. That thing was strong enough I was able to drive it nearly 200 miles home on the Interstate with a rod knock without completely launching the motor or punching anything through the block.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Run any fuel additives? And you had GM do the oil changes for you or you did them yourself with your choice of oil.
No additives...mobile 1 dexos 2 high performance oil...they’re not giving a reason for the hole...but we heard noise like a lifter going out before it blew and took in to dealer-but no error code so they couldn’t find a problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not a whole lot to go on there...However, punching a hole in the block is some serious damage. Last time I punched a hole in an engine block was on an old ZX-11 Ninja doing 175 mph. Those had oiling issues, I found out later. I did spin a main or rod bearing on my 1990 Z71 with a throttle body fed 350. That thing was strong enough I was able to drive it nearly 200 miles home on the Interstate with a rod knock without completely launching the motor or punching anything through the block.
Ran like a normal vehicle driving back and forth to work....found this thread...most folks seem to say they’re pretty reliable...so maybe this was a freak problem? will replacement engine be reliable?

·
Registered
10 Posts
2016 GMC canyon slt , bought with 65k 3 months ago, 76k now. Did have a wiring issue, replaced 3 sensor air intake and alternator, original otherwise. I regularly tow 4k in the summer and drive minimum 100 miles everyday for work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2016 cclb completely stock

Just turned 80k bought with 60k

Alternator

Chaffed wire

Particulate matter sensor

Air intake multi sensor

3500lb boat towed almost every day when there isn't snow

·
Registered
15 Posts
2016 with 78K. POS. Blew a turbo at 20K towing about 300 miles from home. Had to cancel trip and limp home. 3 weeks to fix. A few DEF pump issues that where it wanted to go into limp mode, reset codes and it worked for thousands of miles, very intermittent issue. At about 55K, started having bucking problem on hard acceleration, sometimes very violent. Dealer couldn't fix and GM said "working as designed". Crappy dealer wouldn't tell them it is not, was there for over a month. New dealer at 70K saw the same problem and said not normal, but could not get in yet, made appointment for 3 weeks later. Said I was going camping, they said it will not hurt the trans, go ahead and go camping and bring it back in a few weeks. About 600 miles away, torque converter started shuddering. Cut trip short and limped home, kept getting worse. Dropped off for it's appointment, it ate the trans. Bucking went away temporarily, so they could not work on that issue any more, said it was probably the torque converter causing it. Well, now the bucking is back again. At least the new $5000 trans has a 100K mile warranty. It also decided to lock its doors with me in it cleaning stuff out (keys in the house). Lock buttons would lock only, unlock would not work. I got locked IT the truck! Luckily had my cell phone, called the wife and had her hit the unlock button on the remote. Had it shut off I think 3 times while driving and power steering goes out along with stalling. Restarts fine after putting it in park. Will never buy another GM vehicle again. Anyone want a Colorado cheap?

·
Registered
54 Posts
D
So I have almost 172,000 on my 2016 dmax. Avg around 29 mpg. Just serviced the timing belt at 150,000
Curios about timing belt. Did you do it yourself? Was belt worn or damaged?
I have a 2016 Canyon 63,000 miles and no real problems. When I found engine had belt I was skeptical about engine long life. I thought that Diesel engines were using gears as a step up from chains. I am amazed at some of the recurring and catastrophic problems some owners are having.

·
Registered
79 Posts
No I did not do it my self. It's pretty involved. So I had the dealer do it. No problems as far as I know with the belt but they also replaced the tensioner also. Whole thing cost 800$ including new serpentine belt as well. There is a service message at about 150,000. I too am very surprised at some of the major problems people are having. Over all this is a great vehicle. The transmission is a bit weird at times in heavy traffic. I have had it serviced once at about 85000. It's on my to do list soon.

·
Registered
54 Posts
$800 @ 150,000 miles not bad. I agree transmission is weird at times. I live in Swamps OF SE NC.... Private road about 1 mile to state road. When cold when starting out in morning Will sometimes downshift with a bang. Also has what used to be called chuggle at 48... 49 MPH. It Can't decide what to do. Had dealer do transmission & transfer case flush going have done again at 75,000 mile. Peculiar that transmission was used in corvette & a few other GM cars.
In the era of FAKE NEWS I wonder if some of these posts are real ???????
Those lemons owners should get a 2020 C8 from GM for free (y);)

·
Registered
13 Posts
2017 CCLBZ71; bone stock, original owner. Reads 47.5k mi. No issues (typing while knocking on wood item)... Damn shame what some have experienced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just turned 240,000 and water pump is leaking. Trying to find a YouTube on how to replace it. Anyone got any ideas. Bought this new 2016 and never had it back to the dealer. Completed services myself. Changed tranny fluid and filter front and rear 3 member lubes. Tranny was shifting hard till I replaced fluids and filter at 100,000 and fixed the hard shifting. Replaced again at 200,000 and still pulling strong. Put on a few sets of brakes. I haul a 27 foot boat.

101 - 120 of 127 Posts